Canon 100-400 II or R-mount for landscape telephoto?

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Autofocus is not a concern, this is for landscapes only. Color, contrast, sharpness are important to me as is the focal range. Is there an R-mount equivalent to the 100-400 II? I need something that reaches to at least 300 or 350mm.

My SL and 24-90 arrives tomorrow. I have the 100-400 II, but I can return it and buy an R-mount from eBay if there is a better way to go here. Since the 100-400 II is $2,000 USD, and I'd like to stay in that price range if possible (plus the cost of either adapter).

My other option is to buy the 90-280 and wait/pray Leica makes a 1.4 or 2x teleconverter (and obviously more than triple my budget).

I would keep the 100-400 II. In my experience, it's a very versatile lens and works great wide open, even with teleconverters. Manual focus will work just fine on the SL. You will just need a simple EOS to SL adapter. 

• Like 1

Adapted lenses don't necessarily work as well as native lenses, optically.  An adapter introduces errors of it's own.  Native lenses work best with features and functions.  The 90-280 Apo is a superb lens and the reason I wanted the camera.  If you have the need to shoot handheld the OIS will benefit you with lower iso and to 300mm shouldn't make a difference.   There isn't the slightest hint of future tele-converters for the SL.   

• Like 2

One caveat is that Canon's auto-corrections for the 100-400mm IS II won't be available when it's used on the SL.  Having previously owned the lens and used it on Sony bodies via a Sigma MC-11 adapter, it made nice images when the subject was in the center of the image.  Landscapes, however, might yield a less satisfying result toward the corners of the image.  

For a 360mm AOV (and lightweight as well) the 180mm f/2.8 APO-Elmarit-R and APO-Extender-R 2X pair well to make sharp images with superb color and contrast across the entire frame on the SL.

• Like 2

The EF 100-400 L II on the Canon 5Ds or 5DsR is a wonderful combo. (very fast and reliable, with sophisticated AF programs, perfect IS, also optically excellent). Also excellent with the 1.4 converter.

On the SL is is not much fun (slowish, loud) and the 90-280 beats anything else by far. (SL plus 90-280 is a must).

Leica has older lenses that I like to use:  The R 4/250 (second version) and the R 4.8/350. They are both not perfect, but look very nice and are very ergonomic. They look exactly as I always wanted my teles to look.

For animals I am usually not too happy with them, but for landscape I find them excellent. (Or for unobtrusive "portrait" or study in a crowd - e.g. Carnival..)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. Sounds like the best way to go is with an R lens + R teleconverter until I can afford the 90-280.

EDIT: After looking at eBay at prices for the R lenses mentioned ($wow$), it probably makes more sense to wait and buy the SL 90-280 or try an FD Canon lens on a basic adapter.

Edited by hdmesa

• 4 weeks later...

The Apo Telyt R 180/3.4 together with the currently very cheap 2x extender is a good combo for the SL. I believe that the 1.4x extender is not suitable for this lens. The APO extenders, by comparison, are very expensive right now and quite unnecessary given the state of lens corrections available in Lightroom.