Anyone tried Rollei Vario-Chrome Colour reversal yet?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rollei have recently brought out a new colour reversal film. This can be shot at anything from 200 to 400 with standard E6 development. The chosen ISO alters the saturation. This is supposed to give warmer rendition than the somewhat blue/purple of Fuji Provia/Agfa Precisa. As summer is drawing to a close and grey skies will increase, a slightly faster and warmer film than Provia might not be a bad thing. I have virtually run out of Precisa and need to put in another order for colour reversal. In the continued unavailability of Ektachrome E100, I thought I might give Rollei Vario Chrome a try. I will buy from Maco-direct, with whom I have an account. My only slight concern is how grainy might this film be, compared with the super-fine grain of Provia/Precisa. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Wilson,

Is it possible to see the 12 little "boxes" on the back so we can read what the cartridge tells the reader in the camera?

Please include the little "nubbin " also so that we can orient the little "boxes" Correctly.

The "nubbin" that is pointing up in your photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Michael, 

That is the stock photo from Rollei's website. I have not got any of this very recently release film (mid July) as yet. I was hoping someone else might have tried it before I put in an order to Maco-Direct. I am particularly interested in how grainy (or not) it is. It is apparently DX coded at 200 ISO, which is what I would use it at for additional saturation. I have seen some results and it looks just a little bit grainy for my taste. 

Wilson

PS I have a contact in the US who is trying to get some early release Ektachrome E100S for me. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

I purchased a few from Macodirect but have not yet tried. Found a review on YouTube with some examples.

Best

Well if that is a good example of the results - pretty disappointing. Grainy with a very narrow exposure latitude. In contrast to what Rollei suggest, the exposure latitude seems narrower than regular Provia 100 rather than wider. I think I will just carry on with Precisa/Provia 100 until Ektachrome arrives. I note that others have suggested the Rollei Vario-Chrome is just rebranded Provia 400X, possibly on a pinkish substrate, which seems not unlikely. Is anyone other than Fuji currently making reversal film or are they all just re-branded Fuji? 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a few from Macodirect but have not yet tried. Found a review on YouTube with some examples.

Best

Hello Rjans,

Could you please tell us what is in the 2 rows of 6 boxes.

Holding the cartridge with the little "nubbin" to your left:

Top row, then bottom row.

Reading left to right.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Rjans,

Could you please tell us what is in the 2 rows of 6 boxes.

Holding the cartridge with the little "nubbin" to your left:

Top row, then bottom row.

Reading left to right.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael, I found this: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/888798093176578048 also: https://filmphotography.eu/film/rollei-vario-chrome/

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 1

Hello Mike,

The 12 little boxes on the Rollei film read:

The camera should write an ISO of 200 in the metering display.

This is a 36 exposure roll.

IF you set the ISO at 100 you will have + 2 or - 2 stops of exposure latitude if you develop the film using normal development for the film exposed at the speed printed on the box/cartridge.

The K 200 cartridge reads:

The camera should write an ISO of 200 in the metering display.

This is a 24 exposure roll.

IF you set the ISO at 100 you will have + 2 or - 2 stops of exposure latitude if you develop the film using normal development for the film exposed at the speed printed on the box/cartridge.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Wilson,

With the little "nubbin" to the left & keeping in mind that:

Top: 1 thru 6

Lower: 7 thru 12

That ! & 7 are common contacts & are always white/silver.

Top row 2 thru 6:          W -W -B - W - B        means: The ISO written on box/cartridge is 200. This is what will DISPLAY in the camera & SET                                                                          the auto ISO in a camera to.

This is NOT the same as the actual film speed + latitude which is given in boxes 11 & 12. With this film it is ISO 100 with + 2 stops & - 2 stops of latitude. Assuming normal development for the film speed quoted on the box/cartridge.

Boxes 8, 9 & 10 tell the number of exposures on the roll of film. The original purpose of this was to tell coupled motors when to turn off.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply due to illness. Two pictures: one of the roll and one of the box. Made in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Best

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Sorry for late reply due to illness. Two pictures: one of the roll and one of the box. Made in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Best

Hello Rjans,

Welcome back. Feel better.

Normally when people read the reading begins with the little "nubbin" to the left.

Adjusting for that:

Reading the top row first & the lower row next.

Keeping in mind that the 2 boxes closest to the "nubbin" (1 top, 1 lower) are always white/silver because they are always the common contacts:

Adjusted 2 thru 6 read: W - W - B - W - B

Which is: ISO on the box is 200

Adjusted 8, 9 & 10 read: B - B - W

Which is: 36 exposure roll

Adjusted 11 & 12 read W - W: The actual ISO, given normal development as per the recommended development, as per the exposure stated on the box, is 100 with an exposure latitude of + 2 stops and - 2 stops.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks, I was not aware of the readings. Just put a roll into my Leica CM and compared at f 4 the shutter speed indication in the viewfinder with the indication of a light meter set at f 4 and 200 ISO and these corresponds.

Next is now to take pictures and have the film developed and see how it performs. Perhaps I can shoot the roll next week.

Best

Roger

Thanks, I was not aware of the readings. Just put a roll into my Leica CM and compared at f 4 the shutter speed indication in the viewfinder with the indication of a light meter set at f 4 and 200 ISO and these corresponds.

Next is now to take pictures and have the film developed and see how it performs. Perhaps I can shoot the roll next week.

Best

Roger

Look forward to seeing some results. I suspect I may stick to my three regular B&W films, Adox 100 Silvermax, Fomapan 200 and Rollei 400S. All of these are fine grain for their speed which is my personal preference. 

Wilson