Leica TL2 vs Sony A6500

mliu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking at purchasing a Leica TL2, however, spec wise, the Sony A6500 looks very tempting, especially it has the built in EVF and also image stabilization, and was wondering does anyone have any real life experiences with both of these camera's as far as IQ?  I am more interested in user experience, not as much as the cost comparison.... thanks for any inputs.

For me it's the lenses, again. Nothing wrong with the Sony lenses but the Leica's are in a different place.

Gordon

This. If you plan using high quality MF primes and don't care about the beauty of the camera itself, go Sony - for the IS alone. EVF can be attached to TL2, on-sensor IS not.

If you use AF lenses, Leica will probably make you happier in terms of IQ and Leica lenses will lose AF on your Sony.

Edited by Lazytiger

You can change color in post, but you can not add EVF or image stabilization - 6500 is much better

IS is a drawback of the TL-cameras. I miss it sometimes, even though my main subjects (kids) need short exp times anyways, plus there is an excellent 50mm equivalent f1.4 lens (TL35/1.4).

In regards of color, I read this again and again, color can be changed afterwards. Yes, you can use profiles and do wild things in LR and all kinds of stuff, but IMO it is much more simple and reliable if the output of the camera in combination with your favorite converter is allready close to what you like. And the more you do in post processing the higher is the chance that you fix one thing and mess up something else.

From a feature and price point of view the Sony wins and I am sure its a faster camera, from a image quality point of view the TL has some things going for it.

In the end it is also a different user interface, so I highly recommend to check out both cameras, in the end one can take good images with both systems.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i have the 6000...very nice, versatile, blazing fast AF...and i have the option to throw on an M lens with an adapter if i wish

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737896-REG/Novoflex_NEX_LEM_Adapter_for_Leica_M.html

I am looking at purchasing a Leica TL2, however, spec wise, the Sony A6500 looks very tempting, especially it has the built in EVF and also image stabilization, and was wondering does anyone have any real life experiences with both of these camera's as far as IQ?  I am more interested in user experience, not as much as the cost comparison.... thanks for any inputs.

Just lookes into 6500 again. Couple this with the TechArt adapter and a Lux 50 ASPH... full AF on what might well be the best 75mm equivalent on this planet with OIS in a really small package... sounds better than anything Leica has to offer for beautiful portraits... tempting... or better a7 ii and TechArt? Unfortunately Leica is technically behind, again, making the choice for my favorite brand difficult... spending way more for dated technology feels like a bad combination... darn...

I have a suggestion, forget one moment the opinions of other people, and forget for one moment a long list of features.

Then go to a store and take both cameras in your hands, try to shoot some images of people inside and outside. 

Ask yourself which focal lengths you want and which brand offers those.

Look at the images at home, ask yourself which camera you prefered to use. Then decide.

You can discuss it to death with other people but in the end it counts what works for you.

For my part Leica works better than Sony, for others it is the other way around. There are also other things to consider:

• Like 3

A lot of people are also overlooking the quality of a Leica in favor of features. Features are minor conveniences. Give me a well made ergonomically designed manual camera with a great lens as a starting point. I can live without most features. There is also something to be said about bonding with a camera. Personally have bought and thrown away(sold or long forgotten) many Canons and Sonys and Panasonics, I play with the new features for a bit, and forget about it as the cameras collect dust. But every real Leica I have owned I felt a connection with and I USE it. So, not knocking the latest Sony but just adding thoughts to consider. My money would be on a Leica.

• Like 2

A lot of people are also overlooking the quality of a Leica in favor of features. Features are minor conveniences. Give me a well made ergonomically designed manual camera with a great lens as a starting point. I can live without most features. There is also something to be said about bonding with a camera. Personally have bought and thrown away(sold or long forgotten) many Canons and Sonys and Panasonics, I play with the new features for a bit, and forget about it as the cameras collect dust. But every real Leica I have owned I felt a connection with and I USE it. So, not knocking the latest Sony but just adding thoughts to consider. My money would be on a Leica.

I fully agree and this is why I switched from Nikon to SL and did not regret my decision a single day. However, sensor based IS and AF for MF lenses are major advantages on a camera. They will come - TechArt is rumored to work on their SL M adapter for quite a while and I am sure, Panasonic is already designing on-sensor IS for Leica. Why else would the new SL primes be without IS? Anyway, problem is I can have them now with Sony - in an ugly body with a plastic feeling but none the less. Difficult to resist. Hope Leica - and Techart - don't let us wait too long.

Edited by Lazytiger

I fully agree and this is why I switched from Nikon to SL and did not regret my decision a single day. However, sensor based IS and AF for MF lenses are major advantages on a camera. They will come - TechArt is rumored to work on their SL M adapter for quite a while and I am sure, Panasonic is already designing on-sensor IS for Leica. Why else would the new SL primes be without IS? Anyway, problem is I can have them now with Sony - in an ugly body with a plastic feeling but none the less. Difficult to resist. Hope Leica - and Techart - don't let us wait too long.

I can wait. Been shooting just fine without it for years. If I have IS on a camera, usually turn it off. And I was careful not to describe Sony as "ugly with a plastic feeling" as to not offend Sony owners, but there it is. No, Leica is at a different quality level and there are reasons they don't embrace all the paraphernalia that is on other cameras. I don't think of it as being behind technology, but rather making careful choices. They don't need to be on the edge of technology, but rather do whatever features they add very well. Just because is most expensive 35mm or APSC camera out there, doesn't mean has to have it all. But when the technology has matured, Leica may add features from time to time.

Edited by Belle123
  • Like 3