Missing Eyecup

Maxx71

Happened to me as well. Never happened to any of my prior M's. Screw the DAG recommendation, I am taking it to Leica.

That sucks. If you're able to just order the part and install yourself, let us know! It looks like it can be screwed in. Sending it to Leica would be a hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the other case where this happened, I see lots of fluff and dust collecting around the VF. Is this happening since losing the ring?

Doesn’t look good at all. Surely it’s not hard to design a rubber ring that the VF can screw onto and create a secure seal that won’t come off.

Apart from being bigger, are there any other changes to the design of the M10 VF that might cause this?

Edited by Simon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like the other case where this happened, I see lots of fluff and dust collecting around the VF. Is this happening since losing the ring?

Doesn’t look good at all. Surely it’s not hard to design a rubber ring that the VF can screw onto and create a secure seal that won’t come off.

Apart from being bigger, are there any other changes to the design of the M10 VF that might cause this?

The missing rubber is just a cover. The viewfinder looks sealed. Dust is everywhere and will collect where there's a surface to land--not caused by missing ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Happened to me as well - keep forgetting to ask for a replacement, but it's not a big deal

It would be a "big deal" if the owner had £150 of diopter screwed into the eyepiece.!

But how is it designed to be secure. Glue? OR Has a fixitant been missed out during assembly.

Bearing that possibility in mind, I'm going to be checking my eyepiece and accessories regularly.

Edited by lucerne

no obvious thread in the pic though

Looking more closely at the OP's image, I think I can see an internal thread. I've already experienced a diopter with its M9 to M10 adaptor simply unscrewing and falling out. It landed in the sand on a beach in India. Fortunately I heard it land. We may be seeing a design oversight. Thread too shallow.

It would be a "big deal" if the owner had £150 of diopter screwed into the eyepiece.!

But how is it designed to be secure. Glue? OR Has a fixitant been missed out during assembly.

Bearing that possibility in mind, I'm going to be checking my eyepiece and accessories regularly.

It should be safer as the diopter screws in and makes things more secure :)

• 5 months later...

Why couldn‘t they do that in the factory, or design a properly catching thread in the first place?

Although in itself an insignificant „problem“ I think it is hilarious that the official representative has to give such DIY advice with regard to a brand new 6k camera.

In case the camera ever needs further repair, Leica Wetzlar may tell you that warranty is void because of unapproved chemical‘s residue interfering with disassembly ;)

• Like 1