Leice Q - still good to buy new?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I was just asked if it's smart to get the Leica Q which is almost 3 years on the market?

I had no idea what to say, still good as on day one, or old technology ?

We meet on weekend again and I better should have an answer for him when he asks me again...

Please help getting a smart answer.

Others, I am sure, will have a much more informed opinion than me. My view is based on using Nikon equipment since 1982 and at the moment a Nikon D800 with a selection of prime lenses and a Q for the past six months. So I am new to Leica. I thought it was 'smart' to get a Q six months ago and today I think it was very smart to have done so!

Is it just the age of the technology that is of concern? To my mind there is a far more fundamental questions to be answered first. Does he/she want a 28mm fixed lens full frame sensor camera at a not insignificant financial outlay? If the answer to that is 'yes' the technology issue is not an issue because this is the only one top get. Sure the upper ISO range is not as clean as my D800 for example but it is even older technology. So age of technology is not really the issue. For me the bottom line is that the quality of the images the Q can produce is frankly outstanding due no doubt to the quality of the optics - it still takes my breath away. The other attraction quite unrelated to age of technology is the physical nature of the controls - aperture ring on the lens and shutter dial on top with good manual focus when needed. It is all to hand and so there is a physical quality to taking photographs very redolent of my first Nikon film camera. It puts you in touch with your photography. It is still selling very well and is unlikely to be replaced in the near future.

In my experience this is the sort of camera you just know if you want it. Yes, that knowledge is reinforced by research and, if you can, by running a few shots off in a Leica dealers. So no forum advice/experience is going to justify £3.5k outlay unless you know yourself that it is right for you and your style of photography.

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all know that there will be a follow-up to the Q eventually and that it undoubtedly will contain improvements, but the current camera will continue to take amazingly good images without breaking a sweat well into the future. Meanwhile, waiting one or two years for the Q Mk II means being deprived of the pleasure of using the Q for all that time. I am so glad that I bought this camera. It led me to the SL, which is also fantastic. I have started selling some of my Sony gear, including the excellent RX1, to which the Q is often compared. The Leica wins easily in my book.

Example of what we can get with the Q, pic taken in Dubai in auto mode (I used to be sure to get something when I couldnt show that I was shooting...) and then cropped and converted to BW

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For me it gives the answer: more than worthwhile. Now if you can buy it second hand in good condition better!

• Like 5

Your images make the point well, Lucena, and it is a point I omitted in my original response. Yes, you have to be aware that you have a 28mm lens and the implications of that (DoF, perspective, etc) but the cropping potential is quite amazing and so in practice, unless you want an A2 enlargement, the end product is not restricted to a 28mm angle of view.

• Like 1

Example of what we can get with the Q, pic taken in Dubai in auto mode (I used to be sure to get something when I couldnt show that I was shooting...) and then cropped and converted to BW

image_640.jpg

Dubai, Seduction_640.jpg

For me it gives the answer: more than worthwhile. Now if you can buy it second hand in good condition better!

I love the cropped version.

• Like 1

Welcome. There are plenty here who are willing to give you advice and help should you need it. Unlike some fora I have seen no aggressive or demeaning replies, just friendliness. By the way, in my dictionary 'hype' implies false or exaggerated claims. Apart from the claim that it makes a nice espresso nothing I read about the Q before or after my purchase turned out to be hype! Sorry, just me being an old pedant!  ;)

• Like 1

As said above, "It puts you in touch with your photography."

Mark me down as a satisfied Q driver. This is a camera with controls that fit perfectly to the task, a minimum of clutter, and while the short lens might seem a limitation, in practice there's enough room on the full frame sensor to crop and still get great results.

Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it.

I've owned the Q for about 16 months.  Taken it all over the world.  Exposed it to some extremely harsh high altitude weather and temperatures.  Dropped it.  Banged in up in slot canyons.  Thrown it in a mountain bike back pack and bounced it over the Colorado Rockies for six days. Used it in a whiteout at 16,000ft. elevation.  Shot pics in 120+ degree Fahrenheit heat.  And it has never failed me.  The pictures it takes are magnificent.  The fixed lens is a blessing in disguise; teaches one to be creative while eliminating the agony of (lens) choices.  

Its obvious I expected this camera to be a "tool" and it has performed flawlessly.  As a "street/adventure" camera, its so me.  I can't say enough good about it.

I'd like to tell you I'm willing to treat my M246 with the same degree of (un)civility, but I don't.  I pamper it a bit.  Sadly, the M246 won't have as much character as my Q when my children are tossing a coin (per my will) to determine who gets it upon my departure from this sphere.

• Like 5

I have just purchased the Q a few days ago.

It was the right move for me.

Light, great IQ, robust, stealth, has the 'cool factor'. (this is actually true but tongue in cheek)

I do pamper my gear a bit but that is because I respect the cost and respect the fact that it is an honour to be able to own such things in my life, but, I'm sure if it got a few knocks it would hold up very well, same as my poor old beaten up M8 (now converted to IR).

So to answer your original question, I think the Q is a camera that will continue to sell as long as they continue to produce it. If they still made M8's new I would seriously consider one as I think the M8 is still one of the best digital M cameras ever made... just my opinion of cause.

I've owned, used and admired both.   I've had my Q for about 8 months with mixed emotions; sold my M240-P and 35FLE to fund the Q (put some $ in the bank too).   I just can't seem to replicate what I got from the M, perhaps the 28mm FOV and EVF is not for me.  I'm going back to the M with the M10 and will pick up a 35mm to get me back to my happy place.  If you are looking to buy, used or new, make sure 28mm is your thing.

Sounds like the Q is the one to use and the M is the one to admire...