Apo-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm - actual macro ratio?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With my simple brain, I have interpreted 1:1 macro as meaning that a 1cm subject should occupy 1cm on the sensor.

The Leica web page for this lens states "delivers impressive macro exposures with a reproduction ratio of 1:1".

I have just checked it against a ruler, and it is nowhere near 1:1. The maximum width it can focus on is about 53mm and the maximum height is about 32mm. For an APSC sensor this implies a reproduction ration of just over 1:2. 

I see (from wikipedia) that it is customary to take liberties with this ratio for crop sensor cameras, so if this had been a full frame sensor, the reproduction ratio would have been about 1:1.4. Still not 1:1.

You are warned.

This was on a tripod with auto focus as close as I could get.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes change the info setting to the second choice as you turn the focus ring a distance scale will appear, its very surprising how far you have to turn the focus ring to get that very close focus. The focus ring moves a lot for very little change of focus, but it is very accurate.

• Like 2

Yes change the info setting to the second choice as you turn the focus ring a distance scale will appear, its very surprising how far you have to turn the focus ring to get that very close focus. The focus ring moves a lot for very little change of focus, but it is very accurate.

Ah yes - I'd seen that scale, but didn't realise that you could focus right to the end - it seemed to stop, no matter how much I turned. Yes, you have to turn a long way!