Best way to process M246 and MM files to look like Tri Ex

Silver Efex Pro is the easy option. If you use this the presets for various films such as Tri-X they are based around a very average exposure input image, which means if you already have a higher contrast input image the resulting image may perhaps turn out with too much overall contrast for Tri-X or your tastes. Obviously you can then adjust the contrast and tones to suit yourself in Efex, remembering there is a lot of latitude in Tri-X so there is no clear right or wrong, hence the number of development recipes for Tri-X in the darkroom.

• Like 1

Silver Efex Pro is the easy option. If you use this the presets for various films such as Tri-X they are based around a very average exposure input image, which means if you already have a higher contrast input image the resulting image may perhaps turn out with too much overall contrast for Tri-X or your tastes. Obviously you can then adjust the contrast and tones to suit yourself in Efex, remembering there is a lot of latitude in Tri-X so there is no clear right or wrong, hence the number of development recipes for Tri-X in the darkroom.

I'll try this soon. Thank you. It should be interesting and I do know what I am looking for so that's a help too!

thank you for the post. - Mark

Working with a color file, try +25 red, +35 green and +40 blue in Photoshop / Adjustment Layers / Channel Mixer.  The Silver Efex tab in the Nik Plug-in also has a Tri-X option.

Most of the images are with a MM1 or MM2 but there are also a good amount with the M240, I'll try those adjustments as well as Silver Efex. thank you for the suggestions!

Guest Nowhereman
Silver Efex Pro is the easy option. If you use this the presets for various films such as Tri-X they are based around a very average exposure input image, which means if you already have a higher contrast input image the resulting image may perhaps turn out with too much overall contrast for Tri-X or your tastes...

Very true that an image that already has a good amount of contrast is likely turn out to have problems with excessive contrast in Silver Efex. However, my feeling is that it's highly desirable to flatten the contrast of your image before you put it into Silver Efex, the way in the darkroom it often was desirable to use a somewhat low-contrast negative, with all the information in it, when starting to print.

Whenever I am going to put an image into Silver Exex, I use the method of making a "super-flat" image in Lightroom as shown in this video. You can ignore the Fuji XT-1 information and look at the Lightroom Basic panel settings the photographer in the video uses to flatten the color image.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very true that an image that already has a good amount of contrast is likely turn out to have problems with excessive contrast in Silver Efex. However, my feeling is that it's highly desirable to flatten the contrast of your image before you put it into Silver Efex, the way in the darkroom it often was desirable to use a somewhat low-contrast negative, with all the information in it, when starting to print.

Whenever I am going to put an image into Silver Exex, I use the method of making a "super-flat" image in Lightroom as shown in this video. You can ignore the Fuji XT-1 information and look at the Lightroom Basic panel settings the photographer in the video uses to flatten the color image.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Thank you for the suggestion. It makes sense. I only did light playing around with Silver FX but I'll try it as you suggest as well.