Moonlight Flash with the SL

Leicalifer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinking of purchasing the Broncolor Siros S moonlight strobes for use in my soon to be home studio. I did some searching and I couldn't find any Leica specific triggers from Broncolor, Profoto, Elinchrom or Hensel.  Would like to try shooting the SL with the Siros or a similar type system but am not sure how to trigger the flashes wirelessly.

Pocket Wizard?  As an aside, it apears Broncolor makes a nice set of wireless triggers to work with my Nikon, so maybe as the pin configuration appears the same on the hot shoe? 

Anyone shoot their SL with a moonlight strobe? Your experience? What works?

• Like 1

This is all high-price stuff. And no Leica triggers - that is weak.

Fortunately there is PrioLite. They are in a similar price range (maybe slightly lower) and offer also professional strobes.

Big advantage - since several months they have a Leica trigger that supports also highspeed flash - of course only with their own equipment. (With foreign equipment it's only 1/200th ).

As they are the only one, their trigger is in high demand and you need to wait at least a month to get it.

But I find their product range attractive and they currently support all systems I know. Quite to the contrary of the "big" players you mentioned in your note.

So with PrioLite I can use HSS (or rather HotSync) with all systems I ever need.

And the system is easy to use (foolproof ?) - no need for playing around and finding out if it will work with a Leica setup. You put it together and it works right away (with the SL) with up to 1/8000th.

https://www.prioliteshop.com

http://priolite.lighting/control-a-hot-sync-leica/

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/58043336/priolite-catalog-2017-english

The only drawback, it is only for professional use (big strobes), no small flashes for the casual user.

P.S: The default mode for the SL is 3:2 full frame (so the warning is not really important)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

I use Broncolor lights in the studio and the HSS triggers are not needed for the studio. The Broncolor has an RFS system of radio triggers and they work very well. The Siros-S has the RFS-2 preinstalled and you will need an RFS-2.1 trigger. It's has a wifi module and the most of the mono block functionality is accessible by an iPad

IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

YNP

Thank you. So for product and portraiture the RFS 2.1 should be just fine. Great! I wonder if there are any hss work arounds for the SIros and SL?

Yes. I have the RFS 2.1 trigger for the studio use. I borrowed the RFS 2.2 Canon to test and this Godox made trigger worked very well in HS mode with the Move 1200 pack. It's a shame that there's no Leica version of the 2.2 trigger. It's more convenient than the 2.1 model, at least it can be easily used as a radio receiver on my old power packs. Not that I need the receivers, as the optical slave works well enough.

The Leica speedlights work pretty well in HSS, although they are a bit weak. I am not aware of any strobes other than the Priolite that can work in HS mode with the SL.

I use my SL mostly on Cambo mini view camera or on the Leica R macro rails and two strobes ( and some cards and reflectors) usually work well for my simple needs.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinking of purchasing the Broncolor Siros S moonlight strobes for use in my soon to be home studio. I did some searching and I couldn't find any Leica specific triggers from Broncolor, Profoto, Elinchrom or Hensel.  Would like to try shooting the SL with the Siros or a similar type system but am not sure how to trigger the flashes wirelessly.

Pocket Wizard?  As an aside, it apears Broncolor makes a nice set of wireless triggers to work with my Nikon, so maybe as the pin configuration appears the same on the hot shoe? 

Anyone shoot their SL with a moonlight strobe? Your experience? What works?

I use a transmitter and receiver from Impact I bought at B&H. It’s very inexpensive combo. And it works flawlessly with the SL and many strobes I have used over years. The I’m-act transmitter is very small and light, fits SL nicely.