Another M9 CCD repair question

ail

Jaap, I may be mistaken, but the poster who asked about the option of a different leather covering I believe is in the States. It may be ala carte options in leather recovering is not available at this time at Leica N.J.

Dave (D&A)

That is completely weird.

My Monochrom1 returned in a-la-carte "Zement" last week and my re-sensored M9 will come in the colour "Brandy".

Which "Leica repair" did you talk to? I translate this as: the person you spoke to couldn't be bothered to check.

You could confront them with this image.

attachicon.gifpost-2976-0-87348500-1503155218.jpg

I'm only reporting what I was told by  Leica's repair department in the US. It's still early, my M9 will not be worked on for a while so I can always ask again.

Edited by ail

My apologies for all the spelling mistakes in my post above. Was having keyboard issues with my cell phone while posting.

Here is the corrected version (below) and if moderators would like to delete my post "above",thats fine.

Jaap I agree with your statement but don't forget that Leica in Germany is the mother ship so to speak and they have both extensive inventory of parts and a far greater number of techs working on equipment. Until recently Leica USA has been overwhelmed with their workload, among other things/issues. Even in years past, both during the film era and

the early days of the M8, options avalable to those using Leica USA was far more limited that having access to Leica Germany. Even the physical size difference between the Germany and USA facilities is stagering.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA

Looks like my M-E is starting to experience sensor issues as well. How long does it normally take for Leica to respond? I sent them an email this morning with photos and followed up with a phone call this afternoon, only to be rudely told that they receive 1000s of emails every day, and can't be expected to reply to anything quickly - they'll get to it when they get to it.....

Also, any idea of the current upgrade cost to an M240? Wondering whether it's more cost effective to get the M-E repaired, and buy a second hand M240, or give up the M-E and get a new M240.... 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

900 Euro IIRC. Maybe a good idea to ask for an upgrade.

If I were you I would call again, ask for Mr.Kaufmann (not the same one, this is the head of CS ;) ), Mrs Frankl or Mr. Spiller and complain about the tone of the answer - it is quite unusual for this to happen in Wetzlar.

My M9 was returned after about 8 weeks .The original sensor looked as if it had smallpox and had been replaced with a new sensor.Been given a CLA . The orginal black leather cover had been replaced but with leather of a slightly differant texture.The covering notice commented that the orginal leather was no longer available.No complaints.

Still waiting for my Monocrom but they have been on holiday.

900 Euro IIRC. Maybe a good idea to ask for an upgrade.

If I were you I would call again, ask for Mr.Kaufmann (not the same one, this is the head of CS ;) ), Mrs Frankl or Mr. Spiller and complain about the tone of the answer - it is quite unusual for this to happen in Wetzlar.

900 euros seems like a very good deal... May try to call again tomorrow, thanks

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I got this reply.

receiving inspection
Exchange sensor
adjust range finder
clean range finder
adjustment of all parts
cleaning and end control
This repair will be carried out on a good-will basis.
A guarantee -and/or warranty is therefore excluded.

Anyone here who can reveal what the processing time is just now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got this reply.

receiving inspection
Exchange sensor
adjust range finder
clean range finder
adjustment of all parts
cleaning and end control
This repair will be carried out on a good-will basis.
A guarantee -and/or warranty is therefore excluded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So they are going to exchange the sensor, but because you're not paying them anything to fix their mistake, they won't guarantee their work? So it could come back with a big fingerprint on it, or a crack, and they won't doing anything? Ridiculous!

I've been waiting for a week for an answer to my email so far. Pretty poor service for such an expensive camera

I was just informed that my Leica is ready and will be shipped back to me tomorrow. They repaired the sensor on my M9, did the additional "service package" and a-la-carte leather covering but also repaired/readjusted a lens I included (so maybe my repair time was a bit longer than average). Anyway, my processing times were:

27/06 Service order registered

30/06 Estimate sent

10/07 In Repair

12/09 Repair completed

So, all in all, about 11 weeks. 12 weeks including shipping to and from Wetzlar (I live in the Netherlands, by the way).

Bart

• Like 1

So they are going to exchange the sensor, but because you're not paying them anything to fix their mistake, they won't guarantee their work? So it could come back with a big fingerprint on it, or a crack, and they won't doing anything? Ridiculous!

I've been waiting for a week for an answer to my email so far. Pretty poor service for such an expensive camera

My M9 went into repair on 10 July and I received it back on 11 September, working perfectly. Of course, Leica would have to stand over the repair. The terms and conditions associated with the repair are set out below.

William

RIGHTS OF THE CUSTOMER IN CASE OF DEFECTS, LIABILITY 

8.1 For repairs carried out, LEICA assumes warranty according to the statutory regulations. 

8.2 In the event of defective repair works, the customer may first claim only subsequent performance (subsequent improvement) by LEICA. Only after subsequent performance has failed, or after futile expiry of a reasonable period of time set by the customer for subsequent performance, will the customer be entitled to choose either reduction in price (reduction) or rescission of the contract (withdrawal). 

8.3 Warranty claims are always excluded if the defect is attributable to improper handling of the repaired product, either by the customer, the ultimate buyer or a third party, or if the defect is based on improper or extraordinary use of the repaired product. 

8.4 LEICA excludes any liability for slightly negligent breaches of duty, insofar these do not refer to damage based on injury to life, body or health, or refer to guarantees, or insofar as claims under the Product Liability Act are concerned. Likewise unaffected remains the liability for the breach of duties which are indispensable for proper performance of the contract, and on whose fulfilment the customer may regularly rely. The same applies to any breach of duty on the part of vicarious agents of LEICA.

Can someone provide some information on how to send a camera in for sensor replacement in the US? Do i just download the repair and maintenance forms and send it with my camera to Leica NJ, and they'll know what to do?

I bought a M9 that had a sensor replacement 9 months ago, and it's corroding already (i think..)

I contacted Leica US service via their website last June saying I thought the sensor was showing corrosion. They replied with instructions to send the camera to them, which I did. Within days I got an email confirmation they received it, with numbers to identify the receipt, etc. and said they would evaluate and contact me.

So - 12 weeks later and I haven't heard another word, or reply to my emails and calls (voicemail...)

The process of sending it is easy. Getting it back seems to be another issue.

In the meantime I've been using film, and a Sony A7 for digital.

I was planning to get an M10, but now I'm leaning towards a Sony A9 instead.

Well Leica finally responded to my email after one week. Seems they have changed their policy AGAIN - now they want to charge 982 Euros to repair the sensor on a camera that is only 4 years old. So much for them standing by customers.....

Happened to me as well, one phone call solved the problem.