Another M9 CCD repair question

ail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Yet another post on the M9 CCD problem.

I sent in my M9 for repair just before the deadline and got an email from Leica USA that  the sensor glass was separated. Does this mean that only the cover glass will be replaced?  What is this the standard remedy for this problem? Based on reports here and elsewhere on the web I was under the impression that the entire sensor would be replaced not just the glass cover- I assume this is why Leica ask for ca. 1000 euros after the August 15th  deadline.

I would very much appreciate hearing from members who have had the CCD on their M9s repaired. Please post the scope of your repair: glass only, entire CCD,  or...?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, did list members sending in their M9s get the option to upgrade to the M240?

Edited by ail

Hi All,

I sent in my M9 for repair just before the deadline and got an email from Leica USA that the sensor glass was separated. Does this mean that only the cover glass will be replaced? What is this the standard remedy for this problem? Based on reports here and elsewhere on the web I was under the impression that the entire sensor would be replaced not just the glass cover- I assume this is why Leica ask for ca. 1000 euros after the August 15th deadline.

I would very much appreciate hearing from members who have had the CCD on their M9s repaired. Please post the scope of your repair: glass only, entire CCD, or...?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, did list members sending in their M9s get the option to upgrade to the M240?

Hi,

I sent mine in with a line of dead pixels and it was returned with a new sensor so I'd presume they would replace the whole sensor. I was not offered an upgrade (though I sent mine earlier this year before they induced the deadline)

www.robertpoolephotography.com

I sent in my M9 for a sensor cleaning at the Norwegian distributor of Leica Cameras (Bresson). They detected sensor glass delamination and sent the camera to Leica Wetzlar. After approximately 8 weeks the camera returned with a CLA, new sensor and a new vulcanite covering.

My M9 now feels like new :)

• Like 1

Hi All,

I sent in my M9 for repair just before the deadline and got an email from Leica USA that  the sensor glass was separated. Does this mean that only the cover glass will be replaced?  What is this the standard remedy for this problem? Based on reports here and elsewhere on the web I was under the impression that the entire sensor would be replaced not just the glass cover- I assume this is why Leica ask for ca. 1000 euros after the August 15th  deadline.

I would very much appreciate hearing from members who have had the CCD on their M9s repaired. Please post the scope of your repair: glass only, entire CCD,  or...?

Thanks in advance.

Sensor+motherboard unit.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I sent mine in the first week of Aug to Leica USA and received a pdf two days ago that sounds similar to yours although they did mention the new leather covering, etc, etc and a $250 fee which is OK. No unwanted M240 option either. Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the leather covering will be damaged when the body shell is opened to work on the sensor, hence the need for new covering.   I wonder if leather colours other than black could be installed? I would not mind a green or red covering :) . I noticed a $ 250 charge too,not billed to me, I assumed it was for internal book- keeping.

At this point I will have to just wait until the work is completed.

Edited by ail

Interesting. What was the $250 fee for?

Assuming I have read correctly, it is for all or part (the leather?) of the following:

"sensor cover glass, coating is separating

adjust rangefinder

clean, lube and adjust

leather covering

CIRCUIT M9 REV 4+5"

I said $250 based on their statement that the repair was approved to $250.00; which may mean nothing

or that is the anticipated charge. Whatever, Regards, Ron

I understand that most of the above is incidental to replacing the sensor except, perhaps, leather.

Edited by Ronazle

With my M9 and MM sensor replacements Clean Lubricate and Adjust was not included (at least not listed in the documentation).  Perhaps that is the $250 charge with your body.  I believe Leica gives a one year warranty on the body after sensor replacement and possibly feels in some cases a CLA is necessary in order to do that.  Mine were very low mileage and a CLA was unnecessary.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

With my M9 and MM sensor replacements Clean Lubricate and Adjust was not included (at least not listed in the documentation). Perhaps that is the $250 charge with your body. Mine were very low mileage and a CLA was unnecessary.

When I had my sensor replaced before Easter the paper work said it had a CLA (I believe they have to adjust anyway as they have to take apart the rangefinder) no charge. The work was done in Germany.

• Like 1

When I had my sensor replaced before Easter the paper work said it had a CLA (I believe they have to adjust anyway as they have to take apart the rangefinder) no charge. The work was done in Germany.

Were you charged for the CLA?

That is completely weird.

My Monochrom1 returned in a-la-carte "Zement" last week and my re-sensored M9 will come in the colour "Brandy".

Which "Leica repair" did you talk to? I translate this as: the person you spoke to couldn't be bothered to check.

You could confront them with this image.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5