Replacing 28mm summicron with a MATE?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

When I travel I mostly shoot with a mix of 35 and 50mm depending if the place is more for street or more of a nature scene.   

But I do miss the occasional 28mm perspective for landscape so I bought the 28mm Summicron ASPH which I have absolutely no complain about the image quality BUT I hardly take it at all because it's given that within a few shots I will be changing to something longer.

Hope this makes sense.

So my question is if I can trade this lens with the Tri Elmar 28-35-50, not to replace the faster 35mm and 50mm, but to use when the places are more landscape oriented, do you guys think this is this a good move?   Main downside that's holding me back is the size of the MATE.

Thank you!

• Like 1

My thinking is that you give MATE a try.

This is the lens to have/use to be decided love/hate affair.

I use Summicron-M 28mm (plus other  ;) ) and MATE only when I want ONE lens: the two don't exclude each other.

- with 340g, MATE is very light for a three focal lens, lighter than one current 50mm Summilux-M asph. (but lack that f/1.4 :p )

- the main pain is the finder blocage (lower right) which is acceptable or not for you at 28mm and less so at 35mm

- some flare can occur at 50mm with bright light just outside the field and closing aperture can't help to reduce

- distortion may be a problem at 28mm

-otherwise, the IQ is at top for a "M-zoom" for dynamic picture session: I have no complain for that matter

Have a look, here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236071-tri-elmar-28-35-50-opinions/

Edited by a.noctilux

My most used two focal lengths are 28 and 50mm. I have the MATE, it is very versatile and compact as a 3-in-1,and has lovely rendering closer to the older Mandler lenses. However there is a reasonable amount of barrel distortion at 28mm and it flares fairly easily at 50mm.

You need 28, 35, and 50mm primes and a MATE to be truly happy :-)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You didn't write whether you are photographing analog or digital and what would you like to achieve.
The MATE is a good compromise for analogue photography, especially on holidays or as first overview pictures of an unknown region.
Digital - especially in the future with ever better resolving sensors - the excellent asph. Summicron 28mm might suffice, and doing some image cropping when post-processing, similar as the Leica-Q already does now if needed.

The MATE has less corner issues than regular 28mm and 35mm M lenses on mirrorless bodies with thick sensor stacks. Tends to stick on my Fuji X-E2 where it shines and its flare problems at 50mm are easy to avoid thanks to the EVF. FWIW.

• Like 1

Thank you.   I plan to use this lens with digital bodies, specially M10 and the M Monochrom.

You didn't write whether you are photographing analog or digital and what would you like to achieve.
The MATE is a good compromise for analogue photography, especially on holidays or as first overview pictures of an unknown region.
Digital - especially in the future with ever better resolving sensors - the excellent asph. Summicron 28mm might suffice, and doing some image cropping when post-processing, similar as the Leica-Q already does now if needed.

Edited by reddot925

Thank you. I plan to use this lens with digital bodies, specially M10 and the M Monochrom.

I loved the MATE on the M8 which smaller sensor was only using the center of the lens. Not so much with more recent FF M digital or SL.

• Like 1

I do not consider the Q to be equivalent to the MATE because of the progressive cropping of image size fro full frame at 35 and 50mm focal lengths.

Again, I also don't think that the MATE replaces the 28 Summicron ASPH with whatever 50 prime I choose to use.

Reddot, my thoughts on the MATE in detail:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236071-tri-elmar-28-35-50-opinions/?p=2695050

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236071-tri-elmar-28-35-50-opinions/?p=2695079

MATE on Monochrom:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236071-tri-elmar-28-35-50-opinions/?p=3116430

A useful thread on the MATE:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236071-tri-elmar-28-35-50-opinions/page-1

Mark