Leica ME with wireless flash setup

Huxy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm in the process of buying new speedlites and thought I'd get some that would work on my ME - however it does seem to be limited information available.

I do not want to use TTL, and I want to use a wireless trigger to trigger an of camera flash.

Right now I'm looking at Godox TT600 speedlites, but I am not sure if Godox has any triggers that would work? Do anyone have experience? 

Best regards.

Lasse

I should probably add a bit more info.

I am looking at Godox because it's a brand I can imagine buying more products of in the future, and thus streamlining my flash gear forever. I can always probably buy a transmitter/reciever kit and put the TT600 speedlites on the receivers and thus making it compatible with the Leica ME (Like the FlashQ or YN603II, etc). I am looking specifically at a way to make it work with my ME by using something Godox already offers, or something that is compatible with the built in receivers in the TT600.

Thank you.

I don't know anything about Godox, but note that when I use wireless triggers (Pocket Wizards) with my MM v. 1, I crank the shutter speed to the one below the fastest sync speed (from 1/180 to 1/125, in other words) for consistent results. Using 1/180 results in occasional shading of the image by one of the shutter curtains.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everybody, because of the limited information available I decided to just order something and see if it works. The stuff isn't terribly expensive anyways.

So I ordered a kit of two TT600 with a trigger for Sony (to use with my Sony) and separately ordered a Godox XT32 trigger for Nikon. And the XT32 works flawlessly on my Leica ME, triggering the flash! No work needed.

I'm too happy :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As for as I know, once TTL is bypassed, it is nothing but universal central pin. Because it is nothing but trigger, if no TTL, one pin is only needed. 

That is true, in theory. However, I read that a lot of people had issues with "smart" triggers - it seemed the Leica much preferred dumber triggers. The Godox range doesn't have any dumb triggers, and the XT32 doesn't come as a single pin (yet). I was pleased when it worked perfectly without doing anything :)

That is true, in theory. However, I read that a lot of people had issues with "smart" triggers - it seemed the Leica much preferred dumber triggers. The Godox range doesn't have any dumb triggers, and the XT32 doesn't come as a single pin (yet). I was pleased when it worked perfectly without doing anything :)

Some "smart" triggers do TTL for specific camera brands. It is what is expected. Problems. Those triggers do Camera_TTL-Trigger_TTL-Slaves_TTL. With Leica own TTL, non Leica TTL smart trigger will have problems.

Yours seems to have manual mode which is not TTL and this is why it worked. Amount of pins is irrelevant in manual mode, trigger is receiving trigger from camera and sending the trigger with more advanced settings (power adjustments), but not TTL, to slaves. Setting for power of the slave flashes is not coming from camera, but from the trigger. This is why it worked. 

I made one experiment yesterday. I put little Canon TTL only, no manual, flash (multi-pin with central pin) on M-E. It fits just as Leica TTL flash, even retractable lock pin is in correct position. But because it is Canon TTL flash it is not working with Leica camera TTL. All it does is full blast.