S lenses on the SL

Leicalifer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm impressed with the handling of tones.  With a dark subject and natural light, the AF is not very useful on my SL.  Outdoors in daylight, it's fine.

My previous standard has been the Macro-Elmarit 100-R, but I haven't tried to take the same image in the same light so can't compare yet.

scott

While the Macro-Elmarit 100-R is a very fine lens, the 120mm-S is simply outstanding. Looking forward to your comparison shots!

(And I also look forward to a higher-res sensor on the S or the SL, paired with the best of the S and SL-lenses. Sometime. I hope...).

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hello:

1st post.

Anyone try the different S lenses on the SL with the Leica adapter?

I just bought the Leica adapter and have been playing with the 120 S (non CS) lens. Although focus is a bit slow and mechanical sounding (sorta like using the Nikon 135 f2.0 dc on my D810) the results at least with the 120 are amazing. Incredible resolving power and sharpness.  No comparison to the D810 135 DC even though the Nikon has more mp and slightly higher focal length.

Haven't compared it yet to the 90-280 native SL lens at the same focal length.  Using the 120 with the SL is fairly handy in size as compared to the SL with the 90-280.

For non-dynamic subjects that do not require quick auto focus, I like it. Any one else?

Good shooting to all!

Ive got the adapter for sale if anyone is looking for a bargen :) :)

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The 180 APO and 120 APO are stellar lenses on any camera.

The mechanical non ultrasonic focusing sound is something ALL Leica S lenses have, the 120 is however one of the slower ones. 

I however don't really see the point of using any of the Leica S lenses on the SL except for maybe the 120 Macro (since it's macro) but there are plenty equally good solutions for a lot less money. 

I'd say it's a waste of money to use medium format lenses on a full frame body, except when they do something unique (like the macro lens) or if you already have them because you own an S.

Jip

would my S120 work on the TL2..........I guess it would be like a 80mm but might be nice for taking pictures of flowers and bugs

Neil

• Like 1

I've been working with an APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120 on my SL.  The other perfectly fine solution for macro on the SL is the APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 (and people also swear by the venerable Macro-Elmarit-R 60):

37254147894_dc88ab79fb_o.jpgL8002264 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

In the picture you might notice that the SL on the right swells up a bit with pride to be hosting an S lens.  Let's see how they compare.  I shot a grapevine that has been growing around our house since well before we got here:

37253135324_c2eb4b225c_o.jpgR1010457 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

This is sharp at all apertures from f/2.5 to f/16, softening slightly at f/22.  At f/11 I got about 5 cm DOF at a distance of about 5 m.  Here's a center crop:

37963115821_15a5509816_o.jpgR1010459 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and a crop from the corner at f/11.

37933870202_44eef6773b_o.jpgR1010457 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Now shifting to the 100, and moving a bit closer to keep the framing about the same, we get somewhat warmer colors and a darker exposure (also at f/11)

37909418046_16071dc4d8_o.jpgR1010462 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and pretty similar sharpness.  Center crop:

37909700136_c3a1c2760f_o.jpgR1010461 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Both center crops were taken at f/5.6.  Full frames at f/11. Click thru to Flickr to see the crops full scale. So far, they are both doing an outstanding job.  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's another example with the S-120, at a bit less than 1 m distance (the closest it will focus gets me about 3:1 reduction):

38122720001_d4c23246d8_o.jpgS1010100 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr at f/8

and at f/2.538091205972_6fd471864b_o.jpgS1010099 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Wide open it is just as sharp, in its very narrow plane of focus. 

• Like 4

Scott, thanks for sharing these and please keep 'm coming.

I'm thinking of selling my Sony RX1M2, which is my go to reportage camera, and my Leica S2-P which I use for everything else. I'm thinking for the money I get from those cameras, I could buy a Leica SL with this adapter and keep my S lenses. For reportage I could use the Leica SL with a small M 35mm or thereabouts. What has me in doubt is the sensor of the Leica SL, I'd hate to go back in resolution.
  • Like 1

OK, one more close in.  In order to see how the lens handles at minimum focus distance (57 cm or 22") I set this shot up on my desktop late at night.  It's nice that this lens focuses mechanically, not by wire.

38148148121_ab9f418e55_o.jpgS1010108 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr at f/11

ISO 100, triggered with the wireless app.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of selling my Sony RX1M2, which is my go to reportage camera, and my Leica S2-P which I use for everything else. I'm thinking for the money I get from those cameras, I could buy a Leica SL with this adapter and keep my S lenses. For reportage I could use the Leica SL with a small M 35mm or thereabouts. What has me in doubt is the sensor of the Leica SL, I'd hate to go back in resolution.

For hand held work, you mentioned reportage, I found the images from my SL were sharper than the S.  Last Autumn I took both cameras on a trip, photographing the same scenes with both cameras with similar settings and focal lengths.  I attribute the difference to the image stabilization on the SL reducing shake, and the high pixel count on the S accentuating shake.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

When I bought my SL (Sold already) I also bought the S to SL adapter and never used it......................the more I think about it why would you. If you already have a S00x and have S lenses why would you bother putting a S lens on a SL body...............Okay if the S body craps itself then okay, but other than that I just don't see the point as you are always going to get better IQ out of the S00x than the SL

Neil

• Like 1

On the other hand, if you don't have an S and do have an SL (and like it a lot), then the S lens that does something not currently available from the SL, R or M inventory is the 120.  It's smaller than the 90-280, focuses down to 2:1 (although it seems more like 2.5:1 to me, but that's OK) and sharp as a scalpel.  Since S lenses are not selling very fast, I got mine for about half price used in good condition.

• Like 2

The SL>S adaptor does NOT work on the TL2. It's SL only.

Gordon

Now I am curious.  Does the TL2 just totally reject an S lens and refuse to operate, or see through it but not function fully, e.g. not do AF?  Of course if you can't control the aperture, a lens is kind of useless.  Maybe the new CL will fix that problem.

Now I am curious.  Does the TL2 just totally reject an S lens and refuse to operate, or see through it but not function fully, e.g. not do AF?  Of course if you can't control the aperture, a lens is kind of useless.  Maybe the new CL will fix that problem.

Message on the TL2 rear screen when the S-120mm is mounted with the Leica S-Adapter L: "The lens / adapter is not supported"...

• Like 1

On the other hand, if you don't have an S and do have an SL (and like it a lot), then the S lens that does something not currently available from the SL, R or M inventory is the 120. It's smaller than the 90-280, focuses down to 2:1 (although it seems more like 2.5:1 to me, but that's OK) and sharp as a scalpel. Since S lenses are not selling very fast, I got mine for about half price used in good condition.

I am with you Scott. I too have discovered that used S lenses provide outstanding prime performance for fairly reasonable prices. I eventually will purchase a S typ 007, but for now the SL is a useful tool. As an added benefit, all of the S lenses I've purchased so far were cherished by there owners and in great shape.

For me, the 120 macro is incredible. I am finding it can resolve or "see" detail I normally cannot detect with my eye. The 60 mm R is good, but the 120 S macro with auto focus appears to be a more convenient and faster handling package. Super sharp too...

Has anyone tried the 180 mm lens with the close focus adapter on the sl?

Edited by Leicalifer

I am with you Scott. I too have discovered that used S lenses provide outstanding prime performance for fairly reasonable prices. I eventually will purchase a S typ 007, but for now the SL is a useful tool. As an added benefit, all of the S lenses I've purchased so far were cherished by there owners and in great shape.

As a plus, mine had been to Leica for CLA and AF motor upgrade...