S lenses on the SL

Leicalifer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:

1st post.

Anyone try the different S lenses on the SL with the Leica adapter?

I just bought the Leica adapter and have been playing with the 120 S (non CS) lens. Although focus is a bit slow and mechanical sounding (sorta like using the Nikon 135 f2.0 dc on my D810) the results at least with the 120 are amazing. Incredible resolving power and sharpness.  No comparison to the D810 135 DC even though the Nikon has more mp and slightly higher focal length.

Haven't compared it yet to the 90-280 native SL lens at the same focal length.  Using the 120 with the SL is fairly handy in size as compared to the SL with the 90-280.

For non-dynamic subjects that do not require quick auto focus, I like it. Any one else?

Good shooting to all!

• Like 4

The 180 APO and 120 APO are stellar lenses on any camera.

The mechanical non ultrasonic focusing sound is something ALL Leica S lenses have, the 120 is however one of the slower ones. 

I however don't really see the point of using any of the Leica S lenses on the SL except for maybe the 120 Macro (since it's macro) but there are plenty equally good solutions for a lot less money. 

I'd say it's a waste of money to use medium format lenses on a full frame body, except when they do something unique (like the macro lens) or if you already have them because you own an S.

Edited by jip
  • Like 4

Besides the link that Jeff kindly shared, I also compared the 24mm S with the 24-90mm @ 24mm, here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/09/leica-super-elmar-s-24mm-vs-leica-vario-elmarit-sl-review.html

Though I haven't published my results about it, I also used the 35mm S a lot on the SL with great results; even the 30-90mm, which is the weakest S lens out there, works great on the SL. I hope this helps. Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Vieri 

Thank you for the information. Not too long ago, I read your article on the then new S to SL adapter.  Your comments served as the stimuli for embarking on this interesting and rewarding venture.  I recently obtained a 35mm S lens and will soon be experimenting with it the SL.  Was there a specific f-stop where the lens performed the best or was it a good all-around performer?

On a related note, I recently shot the 180 S lens on the SL. It too exhibited excellent resolving power.  I tried the lens with and without the close-focus adapter. In both configurations, both worked great!  Focus aide worked too both with and without the close-focus adapter.

Focus speed was a little slow, similar to using my D810 with the F4 200 mm Macro lens.  Results were different and difficult to objectively compare as the D810/200mm Macro lens is used with a complete dual Nikon macro flash/RRS set up. At some point I'll try adapting this macro lighting set up and RRS ring/extension to the SL as it appears the hot shoe pin configuration are the same. Maybe I can use the Nikon SB800 flash commander with the R1C1 lights on the SL.  We'll see. 

As an aside, the 100 mm F2 looks appealing and maybe the ideal lens for me on the SL. I'll try one at the Leica Boutique next time I am in Los Angeles.

All good stuff! 

Edited by Leicalifer

Vieri 

Thank you for the information. Not too long ago, I read your article on the then new S to SL adapter.  Your comments served as the stimuli for embarking on this interesting and rewarding venture.  I recently obtained a 35mm S lens and will soon be experimenting with it the SL.  Was there a specific f-stop where the lens performed the best or was it a good all-around performer?

On a related note, I recently shot the 180 S lens on the SL. It too exhibited excellent resolving power.  I tried the lens with and without the close-focus adapter. In both configurations, both worked great!  Focus aide worked too both with and without the close-focus adapter.

Focus speed was a little slow, similar to using my D810 with the F4 200 mm Macro lens.  Results were different and difficult to objectively compare as the D810/200mm Macro lens is used with a complete dual Nikon macro flash/RRS set up. At some point I'll try adapting this macro lighting set up and RRS ring/extension to the SL as it appears the hot shoe pin configuration are the same. Maybe I can use the Nikon SB800 flash commander with the R1C1 lights on the SL.  We'll see. 

As an aside, the 100 mm F2 looks appealing and maybe the ideal lens for me on the SL. I'll try one at the Leica Boutique next time I am in Los Angeles.

All good stuff! 

You are very welcome, I am glad that my writings helped you in your journey with the SL / S lenses. About your f/stop question, I do landscape therefore I am always at f/8 to f/16; however, I tried the lens at every f/stop for a possible future review (had I the time!), and I can say that it worked pretty flawlessly all over the f/series. Beware of diffraction, starting to be mildly visible at f/11 (but you'll need to truly examine your pics at 100-200% to notice it) and more present at f/16 and above.

Thank you for sharing your results with the Macro, slow focus is to be expected from a macro lens and I am not surprised to see that it is similar to the Nikkor. You can probably adapt your macro flash setup easily to the 180 (?), let us know how that goes.

Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 1

I just bought the Leica adapter and have been playing with the 120 S (non CS) lens. Although focus is a bit slow and mechanical sounding (sorta like using the Nikon 135 f2.0 dc on my D810) the results at least with the 120 are amazing. Incredible resolving power and sharpness.  No comparison to the D810 135 DC even though the Nikon has more mp and slightly higher focal length.

Haven't compared it yet to the 90-280 native SL lens at the same focal length.  Using the 120 with the SL is fairly handy in size as compared to the SL with the 90-280.

Having had the Nikon 135/2 DC on a D810, I think there is indeed no comparison with the 90-280 or a S-lens on the SL. With the Nikon you get a hi pixel caera with a (today, and compared to the Leica lenses) subpar lens. Don't get me wrong, the DC is a fine lens stopped down, but it has a lot of chromatic aberations wide open. 

Personally I find the S lenses a bit slow to focus, and if you plan to stay with the SL I would suggest to stay with SL-lenses. Otherwise I would suggest the S100 instead of the S120 (I really don't like macro lenses for portraiture). How good the S lenses behave on your SL depends also on your shooting technique. Some S leses tend to hunt when the focuspoint is towards the borders. Central focuspoint (like on the S) works better.

PS: In the case you are interested in a 120 CS, please contact me I'm selling mine

• Like 1

I have 9 S lenses, but I think S70/2.5 has the best balance when used on SL Type 601 .....................

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I use my S lenses on my SL. Fantastic, especially the 120mm. I rarely use my 35mm because the SL zoom does that job. The 70mm is a focal length I like so the S70 sees some love as well.

If you have S glass already the adaptor is definitely worth while. Being able to AF off centre is nice as well.

Gordon

• Like 2

Amoebahydra

So based on the collective input, it appears the 24 ,30-90, 35, 70, 100, 120 and 180mm non cs S lenses produce acceptable images on the SL with the Leica adapter. Makes me love my Leica even more.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Tilt shift S lense? Hmm...inquiring minds need to now.

Amoebahydra

So based on the collective input, it appears the 24 ,30-90, 35, 70, 100, 120 and 180mm non cs S lenses produce acceptable images on the SL with the Leica adapter. Makes me love my Leica even more.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Tilt shift S lense? Hmm...inquiring minds need to now.

I believe the tilt shift S lens is an OEM lens from Schneider, i.e. PC-TS Apo-Digitar 5.6/120 HM Aspheric ............. the image quality is good.  I bought it before Leica launch the tilt shift S lens, so I skip it and is the only S lens that I don't have.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by amoebahydra
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently received a used S 120 Macro, my only S lens.  Both it and the Leica S to SL adapter have come down in price a bit.  As soon as the sun came up I posted a shot in the image thread to show its resolution.  Here are some macro images (about 1.5 meter distance):

37865946372_d9f1177458_o.jpgR1010448 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

37848255846_ee591670db_o.jpgR1010437 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I'm impressed with the handling of tones.  With a dark subject and natural light, the AF is not very useful on my SL.  Outdoors in daylight, it's fine.

My previous standard has been the Macro-Elmarit 100-R, but I haven't tried to take the same image in the same light so can't compare yet.

scott

• Like 8