Rome :: Thank you! :: One Challenge 2017

andybarton

Just a quick word to thank everyone for their company yesterday. Despite the weather :) it was a great day in a great city.

The dinner was just right too.

I trust everyone has a safe journey home and I look forward to seeing your entries in due course. I will post a reminder when we get back next weekend.

Here's to the next one, in Lyon, on 13th October 2018

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A great destination - I have friends who live in Lyon. The gastronomic capital of France (well that’s what the Lyonaise say).

The Alsacians might disagree with that :). Ile de Hausern is not a bad little village bistro/restaurant.

As would those in Marseilles (running joke), as it was the city that first came first, only to come second in some strange Italian restaurant mathematics, that only the Improbability Drive could explain.

• Like 3

I've been to Lyon some years ago and it isn't that great a place IMO. Hope it has considerably improved since then!

Having said that, I would like to thank Andy for all the organisational hard work he did.  It proved to be a really good weekend.  Thanks for all your hard work!

• Like 2

Just having a browse at trains to Lyon.  The direct service avoiding Paris (greatly to be desired) doesn't run except on M, F, Sa in October, according to "The Man in Seat 61". So unless things change....  Grrh!

Brian, Easyjet fly to Lyon from Luton. By train I guess it would be a case of taking the Metro from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon to make the connection.

• Like 2

Just having a browse at trains to Lyon.  The direct service avoiding Paris (greatly to be desired) doesn't run except on M, F, Sa in October, according to "The Man in Seat 61". So unless things change....  Grrh!

Brian,

You could take Eurostar from St Pancras International to Lille Europe and then a direct TGV service from Lille Europe to Lyon Part Dieu (about 3 hours).

I'm likely to take the train and for me going through Paris is greatly to be desired.  :)   It'll give me an (admittedly weak) excuse to stay a night or two in Paris on the way there and back.

Pete

• Like 3

Hi, Great destination which has been selected. Calendar already booked for it :-)

Waiting forward to see you all there.

Hoping to see your nice pictures from the Rome challenge!!

Cheers

David

Edited by Myvalko
  • Like 4

Brian,

You could take Eurostar from St Pancras International to Lille Europe and then a direct TGV service from Lille Europe to Lyon Part Dieu (about 3 hours).

I'm likely to take the train and for me going through Paris is greatly to be desired.  :)   It'll give me an (admittedly weak) excuse to stay a night or two in Paris on the way there and back.

Pete

I was trying to avoid a train change, and also avoid passing through Paris. However it looks as though I'll have to change trains in Lille.

• Like 1

Back home yesterday evening. Flight from Rome to Heathrow was about an hour late taking off (allegedly related to Heathrow slowing things down in advance of the hurricane). Many people complaining of impossibility of on-line check-in for the return hop, so queues a bit of a pain, but we got to the gate in time.

Got an entertaining brief ribbing from Tom at the Heathrow passport control, who asserted that they wouldn't let me in (but he had forgotten that we were only in transit to the People's Republic of Yorkshire).

Thanks to everyone for a really enjoyable get together, but especially to Andy for a spectacularly pleasant and good value dinner, as well as all the rest of his hard work! Look forward to Lyon 2018.

• Like 4

Really enjoyed Rome, the weather, food, beer and intellectual conversation was, as always most stimulating. Andy, many thanks again for all the effort you put into organizing these challenges, we certainly appreciate it, as I'm sure others do. 

Looking forward to Lyon, although will have to put some water into the Land Rover's washers before we leave, probably around the end of April.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers, Tom & Eileen

• Like 3

My best thanks to Andy for the organisation and to everyone for coming.

Having had my second visit to Rome, I tried a "no-queueing-approach": The density of art is so high that there are lots of less-visited churches, which still have, say, a Caravaggio hanging.

Stefan

• Like 2

I am envy of all of you, unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to join you in Rome. Hopefully in Lyon in 1 year time. I hope you had a good time!  In the mean time, I'll wait for some photos to come up in the forum :)  regards to all!

• Like 4

Waiting for the film to be processed.

Once more a big thank you to Andy for a flawless organization; Really nice to meet again in such a city; I hope Lyon can hold up to such expectations. It's been known to rain, occasionally  :o

• Like 2