Rome :: Thank you! :: One Challenge 2017

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm envious of you all. I know you will have a fabulous time.

The nearest I can get to contributing a picture is below. I have just had this 5cm pin removed from my finger about an hour ago. I shot a series (40+) pics of the op. This is the first of a series of procedures I am in for. The surgeon asked if I needed a distraction. I said I had my own and showed him my camera. He laughed, but it worked.

I will be watching for all your posts, so "shoot straight you bastards" (apologies to Breaker Morant, aka Edward Woodward).

I'm a tough critic, so only the best will do.

Good light to you all.

That shows how serious this competition can be... sacrificing a year to get surgical preparations for bionic stable hands in the next year's Challenge!

John, only you could focus a Noctilux with one hand and while being under the knife! Legendary.

We look forward to your critiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "pulling the pin"!  :lol:

I hope your recovery is as quick and pain free as it could be, John.

Pete.

PS, Having witnessed you focussing and shooting your M9 and Nocti instantly with one hand in Wetzlar I'm only surprised that you didn't just get on with it and pull the pin yourself with your teeth while you were taking the pictures. :D

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1

Sorry to say but i've decided to cancel my plans to be in Rome. Unfortunately my flight wasn't booked with Monarch so I can't get my fare back! 

I've had the most stressful time recently dealing with legal disputes with our freeholders. I've had to take time off work to deal with stuff and work has become extremely busy, I've got a backlog now to deal with and on top of that I've caught a cold. If I could just beam myself to Rome for Saturday it would be different. 

I'll probably regret this on Thursday when I should've been flying out, but I had to make the decision now. 

Have a great time all, I look forward to seeing your results. 

• Like 3

Finally! Finished off all the critical items at work, left the urgent for next week and the important will just have to wait. 

In bed, wondering is it worth to sleep for 2.5 hours or just stay awake till I have to leave for airport? 

See you all soon for some beers and wine. 

• Like 3

Soi should have come to airport. 0615 flight and i woke up at 0515. slept through alarm and slept through taxi driver ringing bell.

Anyway. World record i think? 35 mins after waking up, i was in queue for boarding. Car parked. Hopefully no speeding tickets. Wonderful speedy boarding.

• Like 4

We have arrived.

Got ripped off by a taxi driver at the airport who basically couldn’t be arsed to drive into the city centre, so he helpfully left us at a Metro station 8 stops from where we wanted to be. Driving at 60mph in the narrow streets of the outskirts of Rome was all good fun.

He did knock €3 off the fare though, which is what the Metro cost for the two of us. So that’s fair.

Might be better to just get the train.

• Like 1

Hot hot hot! Today was a smidge cooler than yesterday but tomorrow's looking like a scorcher.

Rome has not got the hang of public transport at all in my experience. I've tried out buses, trams, and metro and they're jam-packed, take a very long time to turn up with long gaps in the service and buses, trams, and metro aren't joined up at all. Consequently I've been pounding the pavements again today and I think I feel like Andy does.

Pete.

• Like 1