Leica Q Scene Modes advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new to the Leica Q and I am still learning how to use it. I am going to the Edinburgh Fireworks Concert on the 28th and would appreciate any advice that will help me take good pictures. 

I note the Fireworks Scene Mode has a 4s speed setting. Am I right in thinking I will need a tripod?. What happens when there are multiple fireworks going off at the same time or sequentially within the 4s open shutter.

I also noticed that the Scene Mode generally uses f1.7. I thought that for landscape it was better to use a smaller aperture  so as to avoid any distortion from the lens boundary and also to have a greater depth of field.

Any help and advice on the above really welcome

Regards

Well, I have no experience with the Q and fireworks as the last fireworks here were Hogmanay and I only became a Q owner in March. I have however shot fireworks with my D800 and this is what I did.

This is my personal view and others will perhaps think differently.

1. Forget scene modes. Why hand over control to the camera. Take control yourself.

2. Use manual focus to avoid mis-focus, focus hunting.

3. Use manual aperure and speed. If you are zone focusing pick an aperure like f4 f5.6 to cover suitable depth of field.

4. Experiment with shutter speed. I used up to 10 seconds as it all depends on the pattern and frequency you want to capture.

5. Use a low ISO not auto ISO.

6. Tripod essential - it goes without saying.

7. Take a small torch to be able to see your settings.

8. Shoot in RAW as post processing will be necessary to restore colour luminance and saturation which can get a bit washed out with long exposures.

9. Scout out the best location first - obviously you will want the castle in the background.

10. Do some trial shots in the dark to see how many seconds you can allow before the ambient light levels become too bright.

11. It has been my experience that you need to leave a wide margin in the view as fireworks can go higher than you expect. Plenty of crop room with the Q.

In short it is manual all the way and prepare well!

Enjoy they are a great spectacle in an iconic location.

Post some results.

Edited by HighlandK
  • Like 1

Here is a 10 second exposure from Hogmanay in Dornoch. You want to get the trails for maximum pictorial quality and therefore up to 10 secs depending upon the firework burst speed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

and another 10 second exposure

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4