T or TL2

JHAG

I didn't own the T, but looked hard at it and decided not to buy. I bought the TL2 for three main reasons:

- much more responsive LV/EVF. I didn't feel I had to wait for the camera.

- 24mp is more useful than 16. I'm just used to 24 in the M240 and the SL.

- its performance at high IQ is comparable to the SL, and better than the M240.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide!

I decided that the M10 wasn't worth the upgrade from M240, so I am not a buy-the-latest-thing person.

• Like 1

Low light capabilities are attractive enough.

I believe you already answered your own question...   If this is important to you it would IMHO be a worthwhile upgrade.  

Stupid and ritual question.

Loving my T with M lenses, is the TL2 upgrade worth it?

Low light capabilities are attractive enough.

Thank you and have a nice 2017 4Q. B)

Not if the T and it's lenses (or M lenses) are all you have.  

I've upgraded because I will use the TL2 as a very light compact back-up/complementary body to my SL ..... with the added bonus that using the SL zooms at 1.5X their 35mm focal lengths so I have 24-400mm covered at 24mpix so there is no penalty using it for situations where pixels matter, such as landscape/architectural stuff. 

The original TL just felt very sluggish compared to the SL 

Not if the T and it's lenses (or M lenses) are all you have.  

I've upgraded because I will use the TL2 as a very light compact back-up/complementary body to my SL ..... with the added bonus that using the SL zooms at 1.5X their 35mm focal lengths so I have 24-400mm covered at 24mpix so there is no penalty using it for situations where pixels matter, such as landscape/architectural stuff. 

The original TL just felt very sluggish compared to the SL 

Thank you. No, as said, I have the M240 (and M7).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the T and a 23mm Summicron a week or so now. Love the T form factor and in very good light it's fast enough but damn, take away even the tiniest bit of light and it hunts like crazy. I was wanting something to document my 10 week old growing up, something portable to take everywhere that's fun and light. It does all those things EXCEPT I am missing those baby shots.

Seriously thinking of going to the TL2 now and selling the T - I just hope it's fast enough in AF when the lights are dimmer. It's a risky buy if it doesn't work out better, we can't return cameras once used here in Australia. Anyone shed any light (erm no pun intended) on whether it is THAT much faster than the T?

My A7II isn't blazingly fast either but it's ok - if the TL2 is equal to that I'd be happy.

I have had the T and a 23mm Summicron a week or so now. Love the T form factor and in very good light it's fast enough but damn, take away even the tiniest bit of light and it hunts like crazy. I was wanting something to document my 10 week old growing up, something portable to take everywhere that's fun and light. It does all those things EXCEPT I am missing those baby shots.

Seriously thinking of going to the TL2 now and selling the T - I just hope it's fast enough in AF when the lights are dimmer. It's a risky buy if it doesn't work out better, we can't return cameras once used here in Australia. Anyone shed any light (erm no pun intended) on whether it is THAT much faster than the T?

My A7II isn't blazingly fast either but it's ok - if the TL2 is equal to that I'd be happy.

Amanda,

The TL2 supposedly has much better ISO sensitivity.  AF is definitely faster, though it is not blazing fast like a Sony 6300, or the like. Many reviews are very positive on the TL2.

In the interim, with your T, perhaps try out a 1.4 lens (or faster) and just go manual focus to see if you can achieve the desired result. Also, convert photos to RAW in post processing. I would try setting ISO to 3200, as a measuring stick, to see if you can live with that amount of graininess, and tweak from there.

(FWIW, the Leica X2 would not have performed any better).

Just a thought.

Rob

(P.S. If you really want to splurge, the Q is remarkable and handles low light very well). 

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Amanda Ive tried the TL2 for a couple of days, but have not decided if I'm going to upgrade. The 60 macro was very sluggish, surprisingly there was a small increase in the 35 I thought it would have been much better in low light. I find the D-Lux much better in low light. I was surprised Leica insisting on sticking with only contrast autofocus. 

Amanda,

The TL2 supposedly has much better ISO sensitivity.  AF is definitely faster, though it is not blazing fast like a Sony 6300, or the like. Many reviews are very positive on the TL2.

In the interim, with your T, perhaps try out a 1.4 lens (or faster) and just go manual focus to see if you can achieve the desired result. Also, convert photos to RAW in post processing. I would try setting ISO to 3200, as a measuring stick, to see if you can live with that amount of graininess, and tweak from there.

(FWIW, the Leica X2 would not have performed any better).

Just a thought.

Rob

(P.S. If you really want to splurge, the Q is remarkable and handles low light very well).

I will second on the Q, which sounds like is needed for quick focus. But also will second trying manual focus on the T. However, the 23mm Summicron has a lot of turn in the barrel so manual focusing is way more work than say a Leica M lens attached. If possible, would recommend trying that out if you have access to an M lens. Even though I have couple of TL lenses, an M lens is my preference as already had these plus shoot with an M as well. Quick and easy to focus on the T. But would most definitely look for these on secondary market.

Have you updated the firmware?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by graphlex
  • Like 1

Cheers everyone and yes has latest firmware installed.

I'll pick up the visoflex next and persevere for now with the Norton 40mm I also have. Throwing more money at a body isn't the answer just yet after more contemplation last night. Will wait and see what this 'clooney' business is first as well.

Where are you in Oz? If it's NSW I'm happy to let you have a play with mine over a coffee. (PM me) Also Digi Direct and the Leica Store have them on display in Sydney as well. I'm sure Micheals and PRA would have them on display as well.

The TL2 does do better than the T/TL in almost every respect (except the inbuilt flash). Focus is faster and the camera is far more responsive. Low light AF is OK but you still need to find an edge for the focus to lock on to rather than focusing on faces like you'd do in decent light.

I'd also be tempted to see what Clooney turns out to be. One of the things about the TL is it's diminutive size. Although the Clooney may have more *stuff* I wonder how much bigger it might become.

Gordon

• Like 2

I sold my T, 18-56mm zoom and visoflex (and rather nice wrist strap I had Lance make for me) because the blackout and overall speed of the thing drove me nuts.

Took a plunge and gave the TL2 a try (11-23mm zoom & Visoflex) and I'm very happy with it.  I don't really notice it being slower than my SL (I'm sure it is, but don't notice it).  I think it was worth giving it another go.  It's useful second camera, whether I'm using my Monochrom or SL.

The Monochrom (and M-A) cover 21-28-50-75; on the TL2, that becomes 32.5-42-75-112.5 which is a useful range; with the 11-23mm zoom, that also gives me 16.5-34.5mm which covers almost everything I could need, all 24MP.  Using the TL2 on the 90-280 SL zoom, adds 135-420mm.  With the 28 Summaron-M mounted, I get 42mm in a pocketable form.

I like the interface, and I get the sense that, this time, Leica has it pretty well sorted.  My only current niggle is I haven't found a way to focus M lenses off centre without focus and recompose.  The EVF is pretty good, though without magnification off centre and with peaking being only so so (when it works), it's not a major.

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Might hesitate with Q, keeping the T and adding it to the stable.

Funnily, last TL firmware (01.2017) is 2.11.

My T has 1.5. When trying to update, T says : Firmware Up-to-date.

So, for T, last is 1.5, and 2.11 for TL/TL2 only? :rolleyes:  

Edited by JHAG

Where are you in Oz? If it's NSW I'm happy to let you have a play with mine over a coffee. (PM me) Also Digi Direct and the Leica Store have them on display in Sydney as well. I'm sure Micheals and PRA would have them on display as well.

The TL2 does do better than the T/TL in almost every respect (except the inbuilt flash). Focus is faster and the camera is far more responsive. Low light AF is OK but you still need to find an edge for the focus to lock on to rather than focusing on faces like you'd do in decent light.

I'd also be tempted to see what Clooney turns out to be. One of the things about the TL is it's diminutive size. Although the Clooney may have more *stuff* I wonder how much bigger it might become.

Gordon

Hey Gordon,

I'm in Melbourne and would have taken you up on your offer if we were in the same City.  Thank you :)  Yes I'm sure there is a few locally (I'm pretty sure Michaels Leica Shop has one upstairs).

I'm wanting to make the T system my only camera - but I need more practice with what I have first.  I won't dump the Sony yet and will persevere with what I have.  I'm sure once i add the EVF I'll be able to manage the M focus with my Nokton easier on the T.  I just need to practice more (I am one of those instant gratification types at times and need to slow myself down) and have always found slow AF frustrating - but I did know what I was getting myself into when I bought it.

It's very exciting to ponder on what this 'clooney' business is...  i wonder how long we have to wait to find out? 

I really enjoy using my T and have no intention to upgrade/change to the TL2, for me the T offers me everything I want, but the TL2 loses out on a major thing, a quick burst of flash whilst using the EVF, until they incorporate a very useful flash or hotshoe then I won't change, had it had a hotshoe then would probably have changed.

Edited by Jkulin