M240 EVF options?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys.

I took a leap of faith and pulled the trigger on a used, but minty and serviced, black M240. 

Im scheduled to receive it this Friday!

Anyways, one of the reasons i went with the upgrade is because of the ability to use LV for certain lenses. And also because my wife does not particularly like the rangefinder, she finds it difficult to use since she only pics up the camera one in a while, compared to me that i use it daily. Having LV would definitely make the camera more enjoyable for her, because she is loving the images of our daughters that have been coming out lately.

I tried to google the topic and most information and threads are from 2013 and 2014. And the only options at the time were the Leica Visoflex EVF2, or the Olympus VF-2.

I saw that Olympus had brought out new models up to VF-4, but at that time Leica had not planned any software updates to support the new models.

Just wanted to ask the experts here that have been using the M240 for years now, if there are any modern options for an EVF. Or are the EVF2 and VF-2 still the only options?

Thanks in advanced for the help guys!

...Just wanted to ask the experts here that have been using the M240 for years now, if there are any modern options for an EVF. Or are the EVF2 and VF-2 still the only options?...

Not an expert, but there's no more modern option for the M (Typ 240).

• Like 1

Yes, they still are the only options. And I think it's extremely unlikely that another option ever will come up.

Leica or Olympus EVF2 are the obvious options. I went down that route as soon as I got my M240. My requirements were to support my favourite lens, the Super Elmar 21mm which I previously and successfully used on my M9.

BUT, now I have gone back to using my non-electronic Leica 21mm finder in the hot shoe. It's a simpler solution. I don't need a second digital information screen (live view) in the viewfinder. I just need accurate framing at 21mm. So I focus and adjust via the eyepiece, and then transfer my eye to the external finder to get the framing right.

I also have a thumbs up in the hot shoe and it has the facility to mount the external viewfinder on top.

That gives you another option. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The Leica and Olympus EVF-2 are exactly the same and the ONLY ones that will work. I use it (I have the Leica model that i got for a very good price) to help with my 135 Elmarit and my 21 VC. It is to help with focussing the 135, and for framing the 21, I first focus with the RF. I like the fact that the EVF (and LV) has the option of showing the two-way level, I find that most useful, I also occasionally mount a Canon FD zoom lens and that needs the EVF to work.

JeanMichel

Alex, as a photographer you will be able to work around the diabolical (by modern standards) quality of image the EVF gives, because you'll know you are using it for accurate framing or for focusing alternative or difficult lenses. But if your wife isn't a photographer the EVF could spoil that direct connection between her and the subject, it is a grainy crude picture with a relatively slow refresh rate. To focus accurately you need to remember and open the lens wide, focus, and then stop down again (hoping you or the subject haven't since moved), otherwise even when using focus peaking it will be purely based on the aperture/DOF the lens was set at, so pictures of perfectly focused eyes will be down to luck. To get the most from an EVF on a Leica you still need to know a fair bit about the mechanics of photography, and it's the same for your M240 as it would be using the fantastic built-in EVF of the SL with the same manual lenses.

So for you I'd recommend a VF-2 (cheap on eBay) as it opens up many areas (as has been mentioned accurate framing with a 21mm etc.), but for getting somebody else to use your M240,......... I'd honestly buy her a modern compact camera with a few manual settings or image options.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A crude grainy picture, that is a bit of hyperbole. If people are still happy to use the Digilux2...

My definition would be: not up to present-day standards, but quite usable.

As we will define the SL EVF in five years time. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I recently bought an olympus VF-2 second hand and am very happy with it (save for it being silver when I ordered black - this is going to be sorted). My thoughts are:

• Poor fit (particularly if you had shelled out for the leica branded version): It really should be a more snug design, with, at least, some consideration to the M's shape. There seems to be a gap between the camera and the VF where the port is. It doesn't line up with the step on the top plate. Just seems shoddy when Leica ask for such a premium over the olympus, given they are exactly the same.
  • Love the tilt and auto focus peaking.
  • Not very quick to use with my 90mm for focusing (but better than the RF as the lens is slightly out and I can't bring myself to part with it for months while it is sent off to Leica): The magnified view for focus peaking is great, but once focused, it then pops back to full view to compose shot and any moving subject has by then moved!
  • Rather laggy blackout in single shot mode while the image is written to card.

I'm in the middle of a semi-macro series (nothing posted yet).  Started with the oufro, a 50mm & EV2.  Results imperfect, unreliable.  Then oufro, 50 & LV.  Still unacceptable

Ended up with the Canon f:2.5 50mm full range macro on a 5DM3.  Great results quickly achieved, very happy - other than the kit feeling like a Hummer.  That lens is remarkable, boka comparable to Summi 50 V4 & very sharp (tho needs a bit of help with contrast in PP).

I've been a dedicated Leica guy for 45yrs starting with a 3f then M3 for decades etc.  I love the 240 - but sometimes you need to use the right tool for the job, which is the priority

If I still had a darkroom, I'm sure the 4x5 would come in handy too

As for the EV2... for 135mm work only.  In the meantime, I await the M11 (with a vastly improved sensor - I hope!)

PS:  Thumbie leaves the hot shoe avail for VF's like a 21mm.  I use Voigt's - framing accurate enough at that length

Thanks for the help guys!

I went ahead and ordered a mint VF-2 from eBay. I should be getting it a few days after i receive the 240.

My wife is quite capable with photography herself, but she prefers the autofocus that is quick and snappy on our Canon 6D. And it is quite difficult to capture a pair of crazy tornado kids running around with manual focus, wide open. So in a way the LV of the 240 and the VF-2 will help with anticipating the frame or the shot and hitting the shutter when focus seems to be about right.

Myself i prefer the rangefinder, even if it is difficult sometimes to nail the focus on moving subjects while the lens is wide open.

I mostly want the VF-2 to help with focusing a new Voigtlander 50 f1.1 that i just acquired.

It is the 3rd Voit lens i have owned. I own the 40 1.4 and it focuses perfectly. I also at one point owned the 35 1.2, however it had some serious focus shift from about 4.0 down. So it was very frustrating trying to guess the focus on film at the time.

The new 50 1.1 is also showing some serious focus shift all the way up to about 5.6. And i know it is not the camera, so again, instead of trying to guess the focus and miss half the shots of my family even while just being still, the VF-2 and LV will help immeasurably. 

I find the Leica EVF to be very useful with my M-240.  And it does help bit with focusing the 50 Nokton f1.1, although rangefinder focusing works fine.  I try to avoid using the EVF for subjects in motion, since there is a slight delay between pressing the shutter button and the time the shutter actually captures the image.  The shutter which is open during LV/EVF operations must close first and then open & close in order to take the image. This delay coupled with the latency of the image in the EVF makes active subjects a challenge.

I attempted to quantify the f1.1's focus shift by shooting a series at various apertures of the LensAlign I use for calibrating my auto focus lenses.  That test indicated I should not use the rangefinder with apertures of f2, f2.8, and f4 if I wanted images that were in focus at the focus point.  For reasons not understood I can consistently get properly focused shots of 3D subjects at f2 and f2.8,  

Edited by Luke_Miller

Thanks for the help guys!

I went ahead and ordered a mint VF-2 from eBay. I should be getting it a few days after i receive the 240.

My wife is quite capable with photography herself, but she prefers the autofocus that is quick and snappy on our Canon 6D. And it is quite difficult to capture a pair of crazy tornado kids running around with manual focus, wide open. So in a way the LV of the 240 and the VF-2 will help with anticipating the frame or the shot and hitting the shutter when focus seems to be about right.

Myself i prefer the rangefinder, even if it is difficult sometimes to nail the focus on moving subjects while the lens is wide open.

I mostly want the VF-2 to help with focusing a new Voigtlander 50 f1.1 that i just acquired.

It is the 3rd Voit lens i have owned. I own the 40 1.4 and it focuses perfectly. I also at one point owned the 35 1.2, however it had some serious focus shift from about 4.0 down. So it was very frustrating trying to guess the focus on film at the time.

The new 50 1.1 is also showing some serious focus shift all the way up to about 5.6. And i know it is not the camera, so again, instead of trying to guess the focus and miss half the shots of my family even while just being still, the VF-2 and LV will help immeasurably.

Good choice. I have found EVF very useful when others (wife or friends) are using M240. You can simply ask them to turn the focus ring till it is sharp (let them know that pic will zoom in and then they need to tap the shutter to get full view). It is much easier to explain than teaching RF focusing (and framing). Very useful.

I have 2 M240's and 3 Oly EVF2's (to have a spare if one goes bad...all three used cost me what one new Leica version would have).  I have never used the mgnifier feature, haven't needed it, eyes still good enough to focus full-screen).  I have no quarrel with the finder's performance, it does what I need it to.  Not a fan of EVF's even the latest and greatest, compared to the range/viewfinder.  As implemented in the M240, the lag is the limiting factor for me...practically useless with rapidly-moving subjects and/or rapid sequential shots.  I've tried an M10 and while it's improved, it's not enough to compel me to upgrade.  One of the main reasons I prefer a rangefinder or TLR over an SLR is the total lack of blackout.   Mainly I find it useful for extreme closeups either with tubes or closeup lenses, and of course with non-rangefinder-coupled lenses.  It's also useful when I'm carrying several lenses for which there are no frame lines in the finder, as I only need the one accessory and don't have to switch whenever I swap lenses.   The only complaint I have with the Oly finders is the tilt lock is very weak, making it easy to bump the eyepiece up.

M240, VF-2, R to M adaptor + 60mm Macro Elmarit-R combine to make (hand-held) close-up photography a delight.   :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2