Covering the Leica logo!

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a new owner of a Leica camera and doing a lot of research about lenses and accessories, I stumbled upon a thread suggesting that Leica owners cover up with electrical tape the logo and the red dot.

Is this a universal idea, or just something you would do depending on where you are using the camera?

I can understand the theory that you don't want to attract the wrong individual, but say for example you are photographing around a big city would it be safe to leave the logos uncovered?

I have had many campers but probably not one as expensive as the Leica so I can understand why the need to disguise it just seems a shame!

I notice some people just use tape?

What's your opinion

Flyer

As a new owner of a Leica camera and doing a lot of research about lenses and accessories, I stumbled upon a thread suggesting that Leica owners cover up with electrical tape the logo and the red dot.

Is this a universal idea, or just something you would do depending on where you are using the camera?

I can understand the theory that you don't want to attract the wrong individual, but say for example you are photographing around a big city would it be safe to leave the logos uncovered?

I have had many campers but probably not one as expensive as the Leica so I can understand why the need to disguise it just seems a shame!

I notice some people just use tape?

What's your opinion

Flyer

I don't do that at all. I find it unnecessary and somewhat paranoid.
  • Like 1

Apparently, there is a belief that covering the logo with tape transforms the camera into something that thieves don't want. It no longer looks like a camera which, let's face it, is what the thieves are after. Any old camera. Who's have thought that such a simple distraction could make such an effective distraction. If it didn't, so obviously, work you could be excused for thinking those that do it are bonkers  :lol:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apparently, there is a belief that covering the logo with tape transforms the camera into something that thieves don't want. It no longer looks like a camera which, let's face it, is what the thieves are after. Any old camera. Who's have thought that such a simple distraction could make such an effective distraction. If it didn't, so obviously, work you could be excused for thinking those that do it are bonkers  :lol:

Which is crooked thinking: If a thief knows about cameras he will recognize the camera with or without tape; if he doesn't it is just a camera., and an "old" and non-attractive one at that. In both cases, they will prefer to go for a nice DSLR with a lot of buttons, as those are far easier to sell. Or a bunch of point-and-shoots.

A Leica/weird old camera is too hard to get rid of.

A Canikon is far more expensive than a Leica on the stolen market, a collection of small consumer stuff far easier to sell/fence.

• Like 3

The person and clothing behind that little box attracts a lot more attention. Maybe consider wrapping oneself in gaffers tape.

If I don't want my camera to be noticed, it's generally not. My carrying style (potentially over shoulder under light jacket or in hand by side) my actions and demeanor, etc, have far more impact than some tiny logo. No problems with small gear since the early 70's. Large format view cameras?.... that's another matter if discretion is desired.

Carry insurance and carry on.

Jeff

Which is crooked thinking: If a thief knows about cameras he will recognize the camera with or without tape; if he doesn't it is just a camera., and an "old" and non-attractive one at that. In both cases, they will prefer to go for a nice DSLR with a lot of buttons, as those are far easier to sell. Or a bunch of point-and-shoots.

A Leica/weird old camera is too hard to get rid of.

A Canikon is far more expensive than a Leica on the stolen market, a collection of small consumer stuff far easier to sell/fence.

Trying to cover a logo to protect it from thieves reminds me of elderly ladies hiding their money between the linen. That's where the normal thief looks first.

Start to wonder why you know all this stuff ?

What was the number of the police again........... :D

• Like 1

I remember a lecture by Günther Osterloh on travel photography. His technique was to go to a prominentl spot in a busy place like a market, unpack his huge ancient aluminium tripod, build it together slowly, and mount his R4. By the time this whole act had finished all excitement and interest would have subsided and he could take his photographs without anybody taking notice, walk the market and photograph being a piece of the background. So yes, it is the photographer, not the camera.

I wear a hat, smoke a pipe, and have two pimped Leicas around my neck. Nobody looks twice. Just a friendly old duffer with a couple of cameras that reflect his age.

• Like 3

HCB has his M3 covered with tape. I covered my DSLR logo with tape as well, once. But, personally, I see what "elements" are clueless about Leica and Zenit difference. If you are concern about "elements" best way is avoid expensive looking camera bags, fancy straps and half-cases and leave expensive watches at home. Be, dress as low profile and never take off camera from the neck. Elements will steal anything from the table, but they are more after mobile phones. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.

before this weekend my un-reserved opinion would be-- do nothing.

this weekend was the 1st weekend i took my Q out with a new COOPH strap (the one that looks like rope)... it is in all black and as my wife said - it makes everything look rich.  i heard more comments walking from people about the "leica" that man has than in the entire 2 years i have had this camera. . .

so maybe it is not just the red dot but the entire package... i am thinking about my options (do nothing/tape/ black dot replacement) 

.  i heard more comments walking from people about the "leica" that man has than in the entire 2 years i have had this camera. . .

..and the problem is? If it is a problem, on your past experience sounds like the strap is the issue as that is the change.

• Haha 1

Matter of tastes. How i feel it this thing is almost as vulgar as a statuette on a car’s radiator. Never got this ridiculous mark of social status on my film Ms in the past* so i hide it on my digital ones now. I don’t see why i should behave like a sandwich man for free either but it’s just me. YMMVastlyV B).

*Only exception was the M4-2 but the red logo was easy to unstick then. Bragging rights with a camera was was not yet in vogue i guess…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

I quite like stuff on the front of cars. My father owned a Wolseley 6/90, which not only sported a sculpture of a winged "W" on a fake radiator cap, but also had a little light behind the brand name on the grill. With a Laurel wreath around it. Wonderful. :) :) :) .

HCB has his M3 covered with tape.

Evidence?  Don't be confused by the small 'plate' on M3's/MP's that covers the area later used for the Leitz logo.The M2 and M4 didn't have 'red dots' either.

In the book. I'm just not sure if this book exist in English.

This one looks similar to the book where I read it.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=1

another remark is here:

http://www.r3maf.com/HCBwh.html