Taylor Hobson 2inch F2 Anastigmat Collaspsible lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

I have just be offered a Taylor Hobson 2 Inch F2 Anastigmat Collapsible Lens. I could not find much about it on the internet and a search on this forum was unsuccessful either.

Apart from the fact that is was made i the UK and all the history behind its design and patent what I would like to know is:

-how good is this lens? 

-anyone has/had one and would like to make some user's comments

-is it just a collectible lens or does it have a nice character to the images it produces?

-any particular faults to look for in this lens?

Cheers

As no one else has commented I can give you one bit of information.

A friend of mine took his TTH f2 to WETZLAR where it was put on the optical test bench.The technician "grudgingly" admitted that the performance was "very good"

I believe that it was at least as good as the Leitz Summicron of the same period.

This lens seems to make LOTS of money when it comes up for sale in UK or Europe nowdays.

• Like 1

I have already been in correspondence with the OP but a below is a bit of a warning for anyone else considering a TT&H 2"(50mm) Anastigmat.

I was seriously considering one of these lenses to match my beautiful Reid & Sigrist Model III Mk.2, which was a factory development camera but on its final rebuild, it seems to have been granted the internals/shutter etc from a very late Model I, as the serial number on the RF top plate and outer body is correct for an early III Mk.2 but the internal body with all the mechanicals, has the highest serial number known (P3499). The previous owner was an R&S engineer. 

I must have looked at 7 or 8 of these lenses ranging from poor to very good condition. The prices went from £750 to £2900. Every single one without exception, had some fogging in the rear element(s) to a greater or lesser degree. Now if this was to be a lens to sit on an R&S camera in a display cabinet, this would not matter a great deal but I wanted a lens to use.

In the end I bought two of the 1999 year Special Edition 50mm Leica LTM lenses, the last they ever made (so far) in M39 x 26tpi mount, the Summilux III (e46) and the series V Summicron (e39, both with built in hoods. These are mainly to use on my various LTM cameras but I will also use them on my film and digital M's, with an adapter ring. I think these are the best LTM lenses ever made and unless Leica makes more LTM lenses, possibly the best that ever will be made. For the two lenses combined, I paid just a little more than I would have had to pay for the best of the TT&H Anastigmats. Although in its day this was a very good lens and at least as good as the collapsible Summicron Series 1, I would bet that both of my 1999 lenses way out perform it, before you take into account any degradation from fogging. I have it on good authority that the fogging will not usually clean off, as it is in the glass rather than surface or in the balsam. 

You can see that I have had the top (E) flash connector on my R&S changed to a standard PC connector, in the absence of an un-perished/working R&S proprietary flash cord. I also have an OKARO RF orange filter fitted which I feel improves the RF quite a bit. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A friend of mine took his TTH f2 to WETZLAR where it was put on the optical test bench.The technician "grudgingly" admitted that the performance was "very good"

I believe that it was at least as good as the Leitz Summicron of the same period.

This lens seems to make LOTS of money when it comes up for sale in UK or Europe nowdays.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taylor-Hobson-ANASTIGMAT-2-Inch-f-2-VERY-RARE-Lens-by-REID-Sigrist-Leicester-/362054740691

• Like 2

My bet is that if you shine a UV light through the lens linked above, you may still see some haze on the rear element. I think it must be due to the particular type of glass they used. Now I know dealers and sellers use the phrase about minor haze and front element scratches: "Will not affect picture quality". That must be rubbish, it is bound to increase flare and reduce contrast. I suspect dealers don't use this test as they don't want to find haze. I know the dealer who had three TT&H lenses for sale was not keen on allowing me to use my UV torch on them. 

I use the 230v mains power UV torch I bought some years ago for fluorescent dye crack detection on my various competition cars' suspension members for checking for haze or fungus in lenses. It was very expensive when I bought it but the LED battery ones are far cheaper nowadays. Haze or fungus which barely shows up under ordinary light becomes much more visible with UV. My wife used to have a very powerful UV light called something like a Chromya lamp, for using in her physiotherapy clinic. This was great for sterilising lenses but that has died and no spares are available. You also had to wear special goggles as that could severely damage your eyesight. 

Wilson

• Like 2

thank you so much for your comments. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have already been in correspondence with the OP but a below is a bit of a warning for anyone else considering a TT&H 2"(50mm) Anastigmat.

I was seriously considering one of these lenses to match my beautiful Reid & Sigrist Model III Mk.2, which was a factory development camera but on its final rebuild, it seems to have been granted the internals/shutter etc from a very late Model I, as the serial number on the RF top plate and outer body is correct for an early III Mk.2 but the internal body with all the mechanicals, has the highest serial number known (P3499). The previous owner was an R&S engineer. 

I must have looked at 7 or 8 of these lenses ranging from poor to very good condition. The prices went from £750 to £2900. Every single one without exception, had some fogging in the rear element(s) to a greater or lesser degree. Now if this was to be a lens to sit on an R&S camera in a display cabinet, this would not matter a great deal but I wanted a lens to use.

In the end I bought two of the 1999 year Special Edition 50mm Leica LTM lenses, the last they ever made (so far) in M39 x 26tpi mount, the Summilux III (e46) and the series V Summicron (e39, both with built in hoods. These are mainly to use on my various LTM cameras but I will also use them on my film and digital M's, with an adapter ring. I think these are the best LTM lenses ever made and unless Leica makes more LTM lenses, possibly the best that ever will be made. For the two lenses combined, I paid just a little more than I would have had to pay for the best of the TT&H Anastigmats. Although in its day this was a very good lens and at least as good as the collapsible Summicron Series 1, I would bet that both of my 1999 lenses way out perform it, before you take into account any degradation from fogging. I have it on good authority that the fogging will not usually clean off, as it is in the glass rather than surface or in the balsam. 

You can see that I have had the top (E) flash connector on my R&S changed to a standard PC connector, in the absence of an un-perished/working R&S proprietary flash cord. I also have an OKARO RF orange filter fitted which I feel improves the RF quite a bit. 

Wilson

This is a beautiful setup. Congrats Wilson

• Like 1

After checking and trying 4 of these lenses; which was exactly as described by Wilson above - most are not in very good shape optically, So I all but given up on owning a Taylor and Hobson 2 inch F2 Anastigmat lens when I accidently bumped intoa 5th lens in great physical and optical condition. I was impressed by the sharpness and the character of the lens and made a quick purchase.

Then went and ordered a Reid iii camera to match it (supposed to be in excellent condition). Can't wait for it to arrive.

• Like 2

After checking and trying 4 of these lenses; which was exactly as described by Wilson above - most are not in very good shape optically, So I all but given up on owning a Taylor and Hobson 2 inch F2 Anastigmat lens when I accidently bumped intoa 5th lens in great physical and optical condition. I was impressed by the sharpness and the character of the lens and made a quick purchase.

Then went and ordered a Reid iii camera to match it (supposed to be in excellent condition). Can't wait for it to arrive.

Nice find ! Any chance to see some pictures taken with this lens and the M10?!

Cheers, JM, 5cm Rigid addict.

JM I have attached a couple of taken on the day of purchase

The first shot below was taken through the glass wall of the shop. In the original image I can clearly read the road sign below the orange car when I blow it up - not bad for a 70 year old lens in my opinion :)

This was taken in the shop

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a few anxious weeks my Reid iii finally arrived. Condition looks good shutter speed sounds good. Hope to put some film through it when I have some time

The Taylor Hobson lens looks at home attached to the Reid however it will most likely be glued to my M10 instead

• Like 3

Finally after a few anxious weeks my Reid iii finally arrived. Condition looks good shutter speed sounds good. Hope to put some film through it when I have some time

The Taylor Hobson lens looks at home attached to the Reid however it will most likely be glued to my M10 instead

Congratulations on your new purchase!  To answer your original query, I think you'll find that it's a very good lens.  Mine seems to perform better than a collapsible Summicron I have from the same era.  I did have to find & acquire a FISON lens hood, which works well (fortunately, I'm not a big filter user, so haven't had to address that issue).  Examples, mostly on film, here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/taylorhobson2inch2anastigmatc195364

Edited by furcafe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Be warned the Taylor Hobson 2 Inch F2 Anastigmat lens is a disease, Once you acquire it, it takes over your mind and make you want another. I succumbed and just bought my second one.Reason being that last month was the first time I traveled without taking my current favorite lens with me - the Taylor Hobson.

When I travel I like to explore the tiny lanes and alleyways at night which always seems to produce interesting images albeit the possibility of getting mugged is ever present. I have been lucky so far - fingers crossed my luck will continue to hold.  

I will be less upset if I got mugged but am able to replace the camera and lens if they were current models but I would have been devastated if I cannot find a replacement for a vintage lens like the Taylor Hobson. Now that I have two I can "safely" carry my favorite lens everywhere I go.   

Sample shots taken with M10

• Like 1

another two taken with m10

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
On 9/9/2017 at 11:14 AM, Ozytripper said:

Thanks for your feedback furcafe. The TTH is now my favourite lens on the M10. I am using a Fookh hood and managed to find a NOS push in filter - still waiting for it to arrive.

Nice photos on your link.

Hi Ozytripper, 

May I know what’s exact filter to use with this Reid Taylor Hobson lens? Or maybe some Leica adapter (SOOTF, SOOGZ?) that can let it take other common filter like e39? 

Pach 

2 hours ago, R_Pach said:

Hi Ozytripper, 

May I know what’s exact filter to use with this Reid Taylor Hobson lens? Or maybe some Leica adapter (SOOTF, SOOGZ?) that can let it take other common filter like e39? 

Pach 

It takes regular A36 clamp-on filters/hoods.

It is easy to add to a posting without looking at the date and realising that the last entry was  years ago !