Confused by Novoflex

Flyer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brand new to the Leica SL world and I have been reading the threads about using Novoflex with Canon/Nikon lenses, and I guess I am stating the obvious by saying there appears to be no definitive list of lenses that work in a consistent manner.

I have looke at the thread that was started in April but although helpful appears to produce inconsistent results.

I mainly shoot landscape so AF is not essential but could anyone advise of third party lenses that are proven to work consistently well in the 16- 70mm range both primes and zooms.

Many thanks

Flyer

The Nikon implementation of the AF adapter appears to be the most consistent ...... but the list of compatible lenses is short .... just the more recent Nikon E lenses and the last few Sigma Art lenses specifically advertised as Nikon E compatible. 

I contrast the Canon AF version is a bit of a free for all, with lots of lenses that theoretically should work, but in reality few appear to be consistently reliable 100% of the time with all users. 

Unfortunately it appears to be mostly trial and error based on the basic info in the two Novoflex threads here. 

Bear in mind AlexP who compiled most of the compatibility info on the Canon thread is/was a big Sigma Art fan and a little optimistic in his initial assessments. There also seems to be both lens and adapter variability which make it all rather difficult. 

Unless you have very specific requirements where AF or one of the more exotic lenses is needed I would be wary of viewing the Novoflex AF adapters as a solution. Of course you can switch AF off and just benefit from the EXIF info .... but it's an expensive choice.

I have the Sigma Art 135/1.8 + Nikon Novoflex and it works well enough to be worthwhile ..... but only as a very high resolution long portrait lens......  and a mid telephoto for landscape on my SL and TL2 where the 82mm filter thread is the same as the SL lenses so I can use my filters without fiddling with more adapters. Hiking miles with the 90-280 in a full landscape set up proved too much for these old bones .....

Edited by thighslapper

I have the Sigma Art 135/1.8 + Nikon Novoflex and it works well enough to be worthwhile ..... but only as a very high resolution long portrait lens......  and a mid telephoto for landscape on my SL and TL2 where the 82mm filter thread is the same as the SL lenses so I can use my filters without fiddling with more adapters. Hiking miles with the 90-280 in a full landscape set up proved too much for these old bones .....

Are you really able to use the Novoflex SL/NIK on your TL2?  With both original firmware and v. 1.1 mine displays "This lens/adapter is not supported."  The camera meters with the mounted lens but EVF and LCD remain black.

The Nikon implementation of the AF adapter appears to be the most consistent ...... but the list of compatible lenses is short .... just the more recent Nikon E lenses and the last few Sigma Art lenses specifically advertised as Nikon E compatible. 

I contrast the Canon AF version is a bit of a free for all, with lots of lenses that theoretically should work, but in reality few appear to be consistently reliable 100% of the time with all users. 

Unfortunately it appears to be mostly trial and error based on the basic info in the two Novoflex threads here. 

Bear in mind AlexP who compiled most of the compatibility info on the Canon thread is/was a big Sigma Art fan and a little optimistic in his initial assessments. There also seems to be both lens and adapter variability which make it all rather difficult. 

Unless you have very specific requirements where AF or one of the more exotic lenses is needed I would be wary of viewing the Novoflex AF adapters as a solution. Of course you can switch AF off and just benefit from the EXIF info .... but it's an expensive choice.

Much appreciate your response. It seems much like the Sony situation whereby it's very much still trial and error, looks like the native lenses are the only way to guarantee success. The 24-90 looks great but one of my reasons for moving away from DSLR's was to unload weight. I think I just need to adjust to manual focusing

Cheers

Much appreciate your response. It seems much like the Sony situation whereby it's very much still trial and error, looks like the native lenses are the only way to guarantee success. The 24-90 looks great but one of my reasons for moving away from DSLR's was to unload weight. I think I just need to adjust to manual focusing

Cheers

(Accurate) Manual focussing on the SL is as simple as can be (at least with my experience with rangefinder and dslr systems). It's a joy to use, actually.

Only the clearity of the optical finder of the S-system can - in some ways - match the SL.