Having a nightmare printing in either PS or Lightroom

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They can sell it for flat $200 in large part because it's NOT a full RIP, instead using the printer's own driver, unlike IP which completely overrides the printer driver. A decent product, with fine print layout capabilities, but with far less overall functionality, and without IP's custom profiles for virtually all papers, including grayscale and varied lighting.

Another example of your being resourceful, but not really understanding the underlying principles or reasoning. I'm still trying to find a camera with IVF.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

QTR supports Cone's Piezography, but for standard Epson inks, I prefer IP. George DeWolfe, whose b/w results I respect, tested these and other approaches, and landed on IP as his preference....

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/Ver10/Reviews/BandW_Master_Print.htm

But many good ways to get nice prints...

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

They can sell it for flat $200 in large part because it's NOT a full RIP, instead using the printer's own driver, unlike IP which completely overrides the printer driver. A decent product, with fine print layout capabilities, but with far less overall functionality, and without IP's custom profiles for virtually all papers, including grayscale and varied lighting.

Another example of your being resourceful, but not really understanding the underlying principles or reasoning. I'm still trying to find a camera with IVF.

Jeff

I'm happy with what I already have

Image nest http://www.bluecubit.com/imagenest-product-features-page/ is a RIP. And for what I do which is print on a Epson P807 printer with Epson papers its PERFECT.............I get amazing results.

When my new 44" printer arrives I will also be using Epson ink and Epson paper........as that is my preferred media for what I print. 

Neil

I'm happy with what I already have

Image nest http://www.bluecubit.com/imagenest-product-features-page/ is a RIP. And for what I do which is print on a Epson P807 printer with Epson papers its PERFECT.............I get amazing results.

When my new 44" printer arrives I will also be using Epson ink and Epson paper........as that is my preferred media for what I print.

Neil

Being happy and understanding what you use are very different things. ImageNest is marketed as a RIP, but in fact relies on the Epson print driver. That doesn't make it inferior, but does make it different from a full RIP like IP, which takes control of the machine and, with ColorByte's design, provides unique advantages. That's apart from the profiling capabilities, which provide advantages even using Epson inks and papers.

Still looking for a camera with IVF.

Jeff

Guest Nowhereman

Jeff - One of the advantages of ImagePrint driving the printer without recourse to the Epson driver used to be that its dither was superior to that of the Epson driver. Is that still the case in light of improvements in the Epson driver over the years?

Even if the Epson dither has improved, the other advantages of ImagePrint, which you've listed, still make it worthwhile to use for serious printing.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Guest Nowhereman

No, dithering refers to how inkjet printers "reproduce an original image by blending millions of ink droplets on the page." The quote is taken from this article (see the section with the heading "Dithering (or the secret art of putting ink drops together)."

The linked article is a review of ImagePrint v8; the current version is v10.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Exodus 

When it comes to dithering about...........Image Nest is the dogs mate, drag drop and "Bobs Your Uncle" out pops a print. And the print is as good as it gets...........I know I print :)

Neil

I’m surprised that the dithering isn’t already in the image file. Can you please explain why it isn’t?

Jeff - One of the advantages of ImagePrint driving the printer without recourse to the Epson driver used to be that its dither was superior to that of the Epson driver. Is that still the case in light of improvements in the Epson driver over the years?

Even if the Epson dither has improved, the other advantages of ImagePrint, which you've listed, still make it worthwhile to use for serious printing.

I agree 110%. Yes its expensive and what in photography isn't .  The paper profiles are better than I managed to achieve using the i1 pro, which retails in the UK at about 50% more expensive than IP 10. Jeff Schewe ( not to be confused with Jeff S ? ) can produce fantastic work without IP 10, but he is on a different plane to most of us.

No, dithering refers to how inkjet printers "reproduce an original image by blending millions of ink droplets on the page." The quote is taken from this article (see the section with the heading "Dithering (or the secret art of putting ink drops together)."

The linked article is a review of ImagePrint v8; the current version is v10.

I was forgetting that ink dots are smaller than pixels.

Guest Nowhereman

...When it comes to dithering about...........Image Nest is the dogs mate, drag drop and "Bobs Your Uncle" out pops a print. And the print is as good as it gets...........I know I print...

Yeah: bla, bla, bla. All you're saying is that you're happy with what you get. No problem with that, but I haven't seen your prints.

Don't get me wrong: I've no idea whether the ImagePrint dithering, today, is still better than that of the Epson driver — it was a few year's ago, which I know from personal experience at that time. In a post above, I was asking if that still is the case: if it is, then, ImageNest can't be as good because it uses the Epson driver.

Project for the weekend : design an array of pixels which stretch pixel to ink dithering technologies to the max. If there is time left on Sunday, either write an algorithm which scans a print and calculates which driver was used or develop a technique for displaying prints on a screen such that anyone’s print preference matches their screen preference.