The Mehane Yehuda Market (souk) in Jerusalem, celebrated with Portra 400

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

A tremendous series Adam, but I would expect nothing less from you.

Don't let the high quality of your work get degraded by an argument about posting rules my friend.

Gerry

Thanks, Gerry.  Good advice!  I hope you are feeling well these days.

Edited by A miller

Ektar

• Like 3

Most delicious! Hungry for more. Wayne Thiebaud, Robert Cottingham, and now you add your own flavor. I know, these are painters, but you are doing the painterly with your Portra. Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Most delicious! Hungry for more. Wayne Thiebaud, Robert Cottingham, and now you add your own flavor. I know, these are painters, but you are doing the painterly with your Portra. Bravo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Ernest.  I am a really big fan of Portra :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 4

ha, ha, that one above was still Portra 400

But this one is Ektar :)

• Like 4

• Like 5

• Like 3

• Like 5

Adam, there are pictures here which really inspire me. Seeing the world through a 28mm focal length adds a real 'cur-pow' (sorry for the neologism) to the picture. I really feel as if I were there.

I have never been to Jerusalem, but these pictures really speak to me about the toughness of the people and for some a "I wear this because I want to" fashion sense. I love the colour of the flesh tones and the old stone walls. Provia is really good in mixed lighting, I find.

And my question: Were some of these (all of these?) shots taken from the hip? Some of the old Leica books used to suggest that this is how photographs might be taken.

• Like 1

Adam, there are pictures here which really inspire me. Seeing the world through a 28mm focal length adds a real 'cur-pow' (sorry for the neologism) to the picture. I really feel as if I were there.

I have never been to Jerusalem, but these pictures really speak to me about the toughness of the people and for some a "I wear this because I want to" fashion sense. I love the colour of the flesh tones and the old stone walls. Provia is really good in mixed lighting, I find.

And my question: Were some of these (all of these?) shots taken from the hip? Some of the old Leica books used to suggest that this is how photographs might be taken.

Thanks very much for the thoughts and feedback.  I think you are spot on about the toughness of the people.  You couldn't be more perceptive.  They are really tough, at least on the outside.  Culturally, Israelis are referred to as having a personality/mentality like sabra cactus fruit, which is tough and prickly on the outside but soft and sweet on the inside.  This pretty much sums up the folk that work and patronize in this market (and especially for the vendors who slave these market corridors every day).  I find it a very fascinating cultural case study which is why my I chose to capture what might be viewed by some to be very ordinary scenes.  To the discerned sociological-bent eye, they are not really ordinary, but reflective of this "sabra" culture.  All of my photos from the shuk (much of which I haven't shared yet) - taken together - sing this chorus beautifully, me thinks :)

As for shooting from the hip, this just aint my thing.  I don't feel that it is part of the deliberate artistic controlled photographic process that I personally enjoy.  If a photo is taken from low it is because I bent over or crouched down and looked through the VF framed and snapped myself, for better or worse.  In any case, due to the low lighting and mere 800 ISO rating I gave to the film most of these photos were taken at 1/60th shutters, which is really to slow for shoot randomly from the hip.  I know a lot of digital street photographers who shoot from the hip and boast doing so.  They have the super high ISO which allows for a super fast shutter speed.  With this they can shoot like a machine gun with their camera close to their hip or at least far away from their eye and go home and sift their SD drives and find interesting results.  This is very much not my cup of tea. :)

Thanks again and best wishes!

Adam 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Miller i really enjoy looking pictures made with film.

Thanks, Jesus.

Here's another with the wonderful Portra 400

• Like 3

Edited by A miller
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A postcard from the shuk...

Portra 400

• Like 6