The Mehane Yehuda Market (souk) in Jerusalem, celebrated with Portra 400

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks, Gentlemen.  

Rodrigue - Yes I love this market and all markets like it, except I don't think there's any market like Mehane Yehuda :)

Some great shots - I now have something to aspire to, when I visit next time. 

Always a pleasure !!!!

Feels like I'm in Tripoli or Tyre souks. How amazingly similar and familiar this part of the ME is. Wonderful set from a film photography Master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M3, 50mm DR cron

Provia 100F

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adam - very good images, across the postings. I know the shuk well and have always enjoyed the myriad flavors, smells, sights and sounds of the pre Shabbat hustle. Do you scan the prints for upload or scan the negs? A brief overview of your work flow would be informative. I scan my film (tri-x) on a Nikon coolscan V - but have not tried digitizing portra. Your results are compelling to make me try it. Thanks. Coos

• Like 1

Adam - very good images, across the postings. I know the shuk well and have always enjoyed the myriad flavors, smells, sights and sounds of the pre Shabbat hustle. Do you scan the prints for upload or scan the negs? A brief overview of your work flow would be informative. I scan my film (tri-x) on a Nikon coolscan V - but have not tried digitizing portra. Your results are compelling to make me try it. Thanks. Coos

Hi Coos - great to hear from you.  Yes, I indeed scan my negatives with my coolscan 9000.  Works just great for Portra, Ektar, the slides films, and all other film stocks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Portra 400 ♥️

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gwpics said:

A great documentary series Adam (as I would expect). The colour contrast/balance seems to get more muted towards the end: any reason?

I am intrigued by the man with the floating hat fifth down on page 1.

Gerry

Many thanks, Gerry.  Good point about the varying degree of contrast and saturation. A little hard to explain, although the lab i used in israel wasn’t as consistent as i am used to.  

• Like 1

Portra 400

• Like 3

Adam, your photographs have remarkable color balance and perfect skin tones. You achieve this with both your favorite Portrait 400 and the Ektar, which makes me wonder... Is it the film, your post processing skill or the Imacon scanner you use? I have very limited experience with color negative film because I almost always shot transparency film when I wasn't shooting b&w.

One huge obstacle facing those of us who don't live in large metropolitan areas is that if we shoot color negative we have to send our film out to pro labs in other cities. My city had a couple of great labs but the digital revolution did them in. If not for that, your spectacular work would really tempt me to start working with film again.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Adam, your photographs have remarkable color balance and perfect skin tones. You achieve this with both your favorite Portrait 400 and the Ektar, which makes me wonder... Is it the film, your post processing skill or the Imacon scanner you use? I have very limited experience with color negative film because I almost always shot transparency film when I wasn't shooting b&w.

One huge obstacle facing those of us who don't live in large metropolitan areas is that if we shoot color negative we have to send our film out to pro labs in other cities. My city had a couple of great labs but the digital revolution did them in. If not for that, your spectacular work would really tempt me to start working with film again.

Thanks very much, Brent.  I really appreciate those observation.  I think a lot can be said for the versions of the pro stock films that are currently on the market.  They have been specially formulated with film scanning in mind.  So they are really conducive to achieve a good flat scan that blows no highlights (even if overexposed considerably) and no crushed shadows.   This allows for a great starting point.  I only use Lightroom and have no idea how to use Photoshop, and so can attest to the potential to achieve excellent results with little PP effort.  

I use many labs and don't think that that is really a factor in what ends up on my computer screen.  They do, however, tend to vary in terms of scratches and dust.  The lab i Used in Tel Aviv, for example, was great with the E6 but HORRIBLE on the C41 - millions of dust and scratches.  I needed every bit of the ICE feature on the coolscan.

Scanning is also really important.  But nothing that a modest investment (relative go Leica digital gear) in a good scanner (get the Coolscan 9000) can't get you.

I'd really love to see you get back more into film.  You should check out the MANY home development kits that are out there for C41 film.  I know lots of people who use these and can attest that it is idiot proof!

All the best and keep in touch,

Adam 

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

• Like 1