Broken lens? 28mm elmarit-m asph

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The front section of the lens, just past the aperture dial - spins freely around.

The spinning part has the white notch which indicates the selected aperture, so definitely doesn't seem like a feature.

Any thoughts?

I had it delivered on Thursday, from a store, used lens.

Edited by dancook

The 28 Elmarit ASPH is so small, one is tempted to utilize the fitted hood to assist with mounting and dismounting the lens.

Not a good idea...

Eventually the front section will work loose and have to be repaired. I've bought two 28 Elmarit ASPH lenses and both were loose on the front end to some extent. Just received one back from Don Goldburg, who charged $125 to tighten it back up.

When you do have it back to use, never grip it by the hood or front section when mounting or dismounting the lens.

Edited by Gregm61

Yeah my old 28 Elmarit III developed a loose front section, and my 28 Summicron essentially pulled apart into two pieces, so suffice it to say with my 28 Elmarit Asph I'm careful to avoid the front section (I had my 50 Summilux Asph also pull apart so I'm weary of touching any leica lens front end at this point).

If you're within a return window I would A) send it back for a refund or B) inquire about a discount and have Don repair it.