M lenses in Leica TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paul

I guess if you think about it. A M camera has the same focus recompose workflow as the TL2, its also the same as my Soo7, focus in the middle and recompose. I'm not thinking to much about what is coming next, if its an improvement over what I have then for sure I wiill get it..........but for now I just want to look forward to playing with the TL2

Neil

The difference is, if you leave the spot in the middle of the screen, and you have Focus Mode on AFc, using AF lenses, the camera should maintain focus on the spot as you recompose.

OK, I thought I had it sorted. I'll look at this again

I have a suspicion that not all the functions work as they should just yet.  It may be that we are waiting for further firmware updates (I don't bother reading the manual).

I'd be grateful if you could check that if you have AFc set, with Spot focus set in the centre, if you half press the shutter to lock focus on the subject, the camera maintains the focus lock as you recomposes - i.e., the lens refocuses as you recompose to maintain best focus on the subject.  I haven't been able to check this, but that is what it's supposed to do.

Cheers

John

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'd be grateful if you could check that if you have AFc set, with Spot focus set in the centre, if you half press the shutter to lock focus on the subject, the camera maintains the focus lock as you recomposes - i.e., the lens refocuses as you recompose to maintain best focus on the subject.  I haven't been able to check this, but that is what it's supposed to do.

Cheers

John

That would certainly be great if thats the case. When you refocus with AFc does the spot stay on the eye or does it stay in the middle of the viewfinder??

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I just had a big fat ribeye steak with chips and coleslaw ...................that should help me sleep tonight :) :)

Pitty we can't have 1/2 dozen heinekens to wash it down :( :( 

Neil

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

That's not correct, Paul.

If you go into the menu, tap on Auto Focus Mode, you get a list - Spot, Point, Mulitpoint etc.  Spot and Point have an arrow > next to them, touch that arrow, and the spot or point comes up on the screen, with red arrows pointing N E S W.  You tap the screen to move the spot or point.

If you hit the round arrow on the side of the screen, the spot or point returns to centre.

Cheers

John

You don't have to dive into the menu to do this.

From the touch screen just hold your finger down on the spot focus point for about a second and then you can do the same thing.

With the T this used to take longer, more like 2-3 seconds...

It is something that is incorrectly stated in Thorsten Overgaard's review as well, that you have to go into the menu to change the spot focus point.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I tried this with Spot focus (using the touch screen), it didn't work.  I'll try again, but something curious is going on with it.

Neil, the reason I've asked Paul to have a look is that AFc is not "tracking" AF as on the SL, it's just "continuous" AF.  The little green box in the middle of the screen does not move as you recompose (as with tracking), which suggests that the AF refocusses as you move the camera.

Thorsten suggests that focus is locked as you re-compose, but there are so many errors in his review that I'm not sure this is right.

The manual says (page 150) that:

... the AFc mode should be used if you want to photograph moving subjects. Here, you also focus on the desired area using the first pressure point of the shutter button. While it is being held down to the first pressure point, the camera permanently focuses on the previous focussed area.

Theoretically, what Thorsten says is right.  In reality, not sure.

That's not correct, Paul.

If you go into the menu, tap on Auto Focus Mode, you get a list - Spot, Point, Mulitpoint etc.  Spot and Point have an arrow > next to them, touch that arrow, and the spot or point comes up on the screen, with red arrows pointing N E S W.  You tap the screen to move the spot or point.

If you hit the round arrow on the side of the screen, the spot or point returns to centre.

Cheers

John

Morning! Yes, you are correct in this description, but that is not a good way to move the AF point under fire as it were. As far as I can see, the only way to do that is with the Touch AF mode with 1-point AF, not with Spot AF.

You don't have to dive into the menu to do this.

From the touch screen just hold your finger down on the spot focus point for about a second and then you can do the same thing.

With the T this used to take longer, more like 2-3 seconds...

It is something that is incorrectly stated in Thorsten Overgaard's review as well, that you have to go into the menu to change the spot focus point.

Ah, eureka, yes, that works! Thanks! Not quite as quick as Touch AF, but it works.

When I tried this with Spot focus (using the touch screen), it didn't work.  I'll try again, but something curious is going on with it.

Neil, the reason I've asked Paul to have a look is that AFc is not "tracking" AF as on the SL, it's just "continuous" AF.  The little green box in the middle of the screen does not move as you recompose (as with tracking), which suggests that the AF refocusses as you move the camera.

Thorsten suggests that focus is locked as you re-compose, but there are so many errors in his review that I'm not sure this is right.

The manual says (page 150) that:

Theoretically, what Thorsten says is right.  In reality, not sure.

I've been wrong so many times in this thread that I'm hesitant to post again, but I can see no sign of tracking with AFc or AFs (except as below). 

The difference between AFc and AFs is that without any button pressed at all AFc continuously focuses as you move the camera around. If you have 1-point AF or Spot AF set, the little box doesn't move while you do this. If you have Multifield AF set, then no boxes are shown, but AF continually refocuses. If you have Face Detect AF then yes, you do get tracking (I've only just discovered this): the large Face Detect box moves with the face as it moves.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I'm not sure it's tracking AF ...

The best description of the AFc for the T cameras is that it pre-focuses constantly before you half-press the shutter button. As soon as you press it, it stops focusing and it locks focus.

AFs does not prefocus, it just focuses and locks focus when you half press the shutter button.

I do not think in any case there is any focusing after you half press the button (unlike the SL tracking  for example)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've been wrong so many times in this thread that I'm hesitant to post again, but I can see no sign of tracking with AFc or AFs (except as below).

The difference between AFc and AFs is that without any button pressed at all AFc continuously focuses as you move the camera around. If you have 1-point AF or Spot AF set, the little box doesn't move while you do this. If you have Multifield AF set, then no boxes are shown, but AF continually refocuses. If you have Face Detect AF then yes, you do get tracking (I've only just discovered this): the large Face Detect box moves with the face as it moves.

What about helping the camera with face detection. What I mean is say someone is walking towards you and someone is sitting on a park bench. Both subjects are in the frame but you only want the subject walking in focus. The camera thinks you want the guy sitting so the green box is on him. Can you touch the subject walking to get the camera to move focus point??

All of this done from the rear screen

Neil

The best description of the AFc for the T cameras is that it pre-focuses constantly before you half-press the shutter button. As soon as you press it, it stops focusing and it locks focus.

AFs does not prefocus, it just focuses and locks focus when you half press the shutter button.

I do not think in any case there is any focusing after you half press the button (unlike the SL tracking  for example)

That's not what the manual says. I'm just not sure the camera does what the manual says it should. See the discussion of AFc on page 150:

The AFs mode should be used if you want to take photos of sub-jects that do not, or hardly, move at all. Focus on the area that is to be in focus by applying light pressure to the shutter button (first pressure point). If the subject moves between first tapping the shutter button and the exposure, the desired part of the picture may no longer be in focus. By contrast, the AFc mode should be used if you want to photograph moving subjects. Here, you also focus on the desired area using the first pressure point of the shutter button. While it is being held down to the first pressure point, the camera permanently focuses on the previously focussed area.

That's not what the manual says. I'm just not sure the camera does what the manual says it should. See the discussion of AFc on page 150:

I know what the manual says and that is why I tried to clarify in simple terms what the camera does. We had a similar discussion a few weeks ago.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275482-af-tracking-with-the-tl2/

and 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275559-tl2-anomalies-afc-not-working/

What about helping the camera with face detection. What I mean is say someone is walking towards you and someone is sitting on a park bench. Both subjects are in the frame but you only want the subject walking in focus. The camera thinks you want the guy sitting so the green box is on him. Can you touch the subject walking to get the camera to move focus point??

All of this done from the rear screen

Neil

I suspect there's no way to help the camera, but I haven't tried this exact scenario.

I know what the manual says and that is why I tried to clarify in simple terms what the camera does. We had a similar discussion a few weeks ago.

and 

Yes, I think this is another area where the manual and camera don't agree.

and

In practice, I can't actually see any difference in how my TL2 (with 11-23 zoom mounted) performs with AFc and AFs settings. There is certainly no "pre-focus" on my camera. The autofocus only engages when I half press the shutter. Otherwise, the autofocus would be continually hunting and working in AFc mode as soon as you turn the camera on.

What does happen is when you half press the shutter release, the little box turns green to show focus locked. As you recompose, the focus box stays green and stays in the centre of the frame.

I hope this will be something fixed in a firmware upgrade. To be able to maintain focus while reframing is something I would like to work. Focus tracking (in the action sense), not so much. I've tried using this with the SL, kitesurfing, and have had little success with it. Multi-field is almost a better option for that.

Edited by IkarusJohn