M lenses in Leica TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys 

I want to know when you mount a Leica M on TL2 with the Leica adapter what kind of focus aid do u have? focus peaking and enlargement work together? does magnification work automatically when u move the focus ring on the lens? will you be able to move the area of focus magnification or stuck in the middle? and how do you move it when EVF is on your eyes ?

thanx

Funnily enough, I asked the same question a few days earlier. You can find the thread here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275749-tl2-with-m-lenses/

Magnification won't start automatically when you turn the focus ring, because the TL2 does not have a cam to detect that the focus ring is being moved (i.e. rangefinder coupling). As for your other questions, I would like to know the answers too. Anyone? 

Funnily enough, I asked the same question a few days earlier. You can find the thread here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275749-tl2-with-m-lenses/

Magnification won't start automatically when you turn the focus ring, because the TL2 does not have a cam to detect that the focus ring is being moved (i.e. rangefinder coupling). As for your other questions, I would like to know the answers too. Anyone?

On my M246, you can set Focus Aid to automatic, so it does detect digitally that the focus ring moves and will automatically magnify. Not something I use, but had forgotten. So, the TL2 may have this feature now along with focus peaking.

On the TL2 there is no automatic magnification with M lenses (as noted above, the TL2 has no way to detect movement of the M lens cam). By default in non-L lens mode (i.e. purely mechanical lenses like M lenses), the left dial triggers magnification, and allows you to roll between zero, x3 and x6.

Most people (including me) don't see any peaking with these lenses, but I think some have reported seeing very faint peaking. The manual implies you only get magnification, not peaking, with M lenses - but the manual is wrong on a number of other counts, so who can be sure!

With L lenses in manual focus mode, magnification is triggered automatically, and you get focus peaking. I've just checked with the 23TL

• Like 1

On the TL2 there is no automatic magnification with M lenses (as noted above, the TL2 has no way to detect movement of the M lens cam). By default in non-L lens mode (i.e. purely mechanical lenses like M lenses), the left dial triggers magnification, and allows you to roll between zero, x3 and x6.

Most people (including me) don't see any peaking with these lenses, but I think some have reported seeing very faint peaking. The manual implies you only get magnification, not peaking, with M lenses - but the manual is wrong on a number of other counts, so who can be sure!

With L lenses in manual focus mode, magnification is triggered automatically, and you get focus peaking. I've just checked with the 23TL

thank for the information, Can you tell me plz how do you move the focus point with the EVF in your eyes, or can you move where you want the magnification to occur on the picture while you have EVF again in your eyes? and when your using L lenses is there is a way to move the focus point when EVF is in your eye?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thank for the information, Can you tell me plz how do you move the focus point with the EVF in your eyes, or can you move where you want the magnification to occur on the picture while you have EVF again in your eyes? and when your using L lenses is there is a way to move the focus point when EVF is in your eye?

Good question.

I just put the 28 Summaron-M onto my TL2, and you can't move the magnification point - it seems to be always in the centre.  Tapping the touch screen seems to have no effect.  Just for the record, at 3x magnification, I got red focus peaking.

I hope there's a firmware upgrade coming that enables magnifying off-centre (double tapping on the touch screen, perhaps?)

I've made a further check with a couple of different M lenses in daylight. With just one (Elmarit-M 28mm Asph) I get a faint trace of focus peaking (wide open, outdoors, overcast), but not enough to be of swift practical use. I get nothing with the Apo-Summicron-M 75 nor Apo-Summicron-M 50.

I also checked moving the focus point. It can't be done by touch with M lenses, as John says, and it can't be done with TL lenses either. The manual implies there may be a way to do it through the menus but firstly its explanation is by unintelligible diagram, secondly the menu options for focus options etc are greyed out when manual focus is selected and thirdly I can't imagine trying to use a menu option to move a focus point: it needs a joystick or similar if touch is not available.

But, the M 246, and I assume M240 and the M10 and probably SL too, ????, detects focus change and will automatically zoom in with focus aid on, so why can't do the same with TL firmware?

But, the M 246, and I assume M240 and the M10 and probably SL too, ????, detects focus change and will automatically zoom in with focus aid on, so why can't do the same with TL firmware?

I assume that the M series have a physical sensor linked to the rangefinder cam follower inside the body; when the lens cam moves the follower, the camera knows about it.

Unless the TL2 already has a sensor to detect movement of M lens cams, there's no way the focus change can be detected using firmware alone. And if it did have such a sensor, it would only work with M-mount lenses; without a lens cam (which is peculiar to rangefinders), there would be no movement to detect. So I'm not surprised Leica hasn't tried to include such sensors in the T series.

The SL doesn't do automatic magnification with M lenses either. 

• Like 1

I assume that the M series have a physical sensor linked to the rangefinder cam follower inside the body; when the lens cam moves the follower, the camera knows about it.

Unless the TL2 already has a sensor to detect movement of M lens cams, there's no way the focus change can be detected using firmware alone. And if it did have such a sensor, it would only work with M-mount lenses; without a lens cam (which is peculiar to rangefinders), there would be no movement to detect. So I'm not surprised Leica hasn't tried to include such sensors in the T series.

The SL doesn't do automatic magnification with M lenses either.

That makes sense. Got it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Good question.

I just put the 28 Summaron-M onto my TL2, and you can't move the magnification point - it seems to be always in the centre.  Tapping the touch screen seems to have no effect.  Just for the record, at 3x magnification, I got red focus peaking.

I hope there's a firmware upgrade coming that enables magnifying off-centre (double tapping on the touch screen, perhaps?)

John same question but with the 35mm TL lens with AF.........how do you move the focus point when looking through the EVF??

Neil

John same question but with the 35mm TL lens with AF.........how do you move the focus point when looking through the EVF??

Neil

You can't; not through the EVF. This is really only relevant if you're using point or spot focusing (giving you a single point of focus - multipoint is just a weird averaging function). You have two choices, leave the spot in the middle, press the shutter halfway and then recompose (the camera maintains focus on that point as you recompose, if you have the autofocus to AFc), or move the focus point using the touchscreen LCD.

I prefer the first option.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

You can't; not through the EVF. This is really only relevant if you're using point or spot focusing (giving you a single point of focus - multipoint is just a weird averaging function). You have two choices, leave the spot in the middle, press the shutter halfway and then recompose (the camera maintains focus on that point as you recompose, if you have the autofocus to AFc), or move the focus point using the touchscreen LCD.

I prefer the first option.

Do you use the big spot or the small spot??

Neil

You can't move the small spot "spot focusing": it is always in the middle. You have the option of moving the "1-point" focus point by touch. I hope this is changed with a firmware upgrade so that you can move the spot focus by touch as well - it is smaller and more precise.

Edited by LocalHero1953

This, to me, is the biggest mental hurdle I have to get over in comparing the TL2 with the SL. The joystick of the SL makes life so much easier for moving the focus point around on the fly, in the EVF. With no joystick on the TL2 you realise that you can only move the focus point around by touch on the rear screen with the camera at arm's length. Treat the TL2 as a camera designed for arm's length and you'll be happy, AND you have the option of an EVF. If Clooney is a TL2 with built-in EVF, expect to hear a lot of grumbling about how difficult it is to move the focus point with your eye at the viewfinder. If Clooney is a small SL with a joystick then, of course, everyone will be happy.!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This, to me, is the biggest mental hurdle I have to get over in comparing the TL2 with the SL. The joystick of the SL makes life so much easier for moving the focus point around on the fly, in the EVF. With no joystick on the TL2 you realise that you can only move the focus point around by touch on the rear screen with the camera at arm's length. Treat the TL2 as a camera designed for arm's length and you'll be happy, AND you have the option of an EVF. If Clooney is a TL2 with built-in EVF, expect to hear a lot of grumbling about how difficult it is to move the focus point with your eye at the viewfinder. If Clooney is a small SL with a joystick then, of course, everyone will be happy.!

Paul

I guess if you think about it. A M camera has the same focus recompose workflow as the TL2, its also the same as my Soo7, focus in the middle and recompose. I'm not thinking to much about what is coming next, if its an improvement over what I have then for sure I wiill get it..........but for now I just want to look forward to playing with the TL2

Neil

You can't move the small spot "spot focusing": it is always in the middle. You have the option of moving the "1-point" focus point by touch. I hope this is changed with a firmware upgrade so that you can move the spot focus by touch as well - it is smaller and more precise.

That's not correct, Paul.

If you go into the menu, tap on Auto Focus Mode, you get a list - Spot, Point, Mulitpoint etc.  Spot and Point have an arrow > next to them, touch that arrow, and the spot or point comes up on the screen, with red arrows pointing N E S W.  You tap the screen to move the spot or point.

If you hit the round arrow on the side of the screen, the spot or point returns to centre.

Cheers

John