M lenses in Leica TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In practice, I can't actually see any difference in how my TL2 (with 11-23 zoom mounted) performs with AFc and AFs settings. There is certainly no "pre-focus" on my camera. The autofocus only engages when I half press the shutter. Otherwise, the autofocus would be continually hunting and working in AFc mode as soon as you turn the camera on.

What does happen is when you half press the shutter release, the little box turns green to show focus locked. As you recompose, the focus box stays green and stays in the centre of the frame.

I hope this will be something fixed in a firmware upgrade. To be able to maintain focus while reframing is something I would like to work. Focus tracking (in the action sense), not so much. I've tried using this with the SL, kitesurfing, and have had little success with it. Multi-field is almost a better option for that.

I tried with the T (not TL2) and the 11-23 and it seems to prefocus, it is just very-very silent. Try this, put it in AFc, single point, point the camera at something far away and then point it at something close which is obviously out of focus and you should see this close object coming into focus after a while. It is very silent though...

I do not know, personally I am a bit disappointing about the fact the manual is so badly written and it makes you wonder why. Is it just lack of attention, or is it because companies today have to rush products into the market?

Edited by Daedalus2000

It took me a while to realise prefocus was going on in AFc mode - like you, John, I thought it wasn't.

I hate it - it's why I got rid of my very first digital camera, a Nikon P&S; it seemed as if it was a design fault that did nothing but run the battery down as you carried the camera. AFc should work as in the SL ( a ) because it's sensible and ( b ) because the SL and the TL2 should work in the same way - shouldn't they?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Huh!  You're right!

What a pointless feature.  Why on earth would anyone want their camera to focus continuously without half pressing the button?  I'd rather the camera did what was in the manual, but then I've owned 9 Leica cameras, and not one of them did everything that was in the manual; sometimes the manual was clearly for another camera (M-A).  I have given up reading them, except when I want to reference something.

Every now and then, there are features I wasn't aware of.  This continuous focus thing is a feature I could do without.  A focus-lock, tracking feature (as described in the manual) I would like ...

• Like 1

Get an SL ...

Indeed...i had one but sold it ! My bad...

I am comitted to APSC thanks to the T and these amazing lenses. If they guve a mini SL it will be like heaven. I was not a fan of the SL wheel though...I prefer a marked one. Also wish we could increment full stop by full stop and not 1/3rd or 2/rd of a stop. I guess my Leica M background is for something here.

• Like 1