Super Elmar 21mm f3.4 ASPH Vs. Ultron 21mm f1.8 ASHP on M10?

Evo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for a new 21mm for my new M10, I had the 21mm 2.8 ASPH before and was never super thrilled with it's performance, especially in the corners.  I hear great things about the Voightlander and would welcome the lower price and extra 1.5 stops of light but not if corner performance was considerably compromised.  I should say that I would only be concerned at the same apertures, corner performance below f3.4 on the Ultron is just icing on the cake.  Any of you guys put these two through their paces on an M10 yet?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

The 21 SEM is one of the very sharpest lenses,corner to corner, for the M. If you don't mind the modest speed, and you aren't looking for the "Leica glow" but instead want a brutally sharp, well corrected modern ultra wide, you won't be disappointed. It's rendering to me is like a slower, much wider 50 APO.

• Like 2

The 21 SEM is one of the very sharpest lenses,corner to corner, for the M. If you don't mind the modest speed, and you aren't looking for the "Leica glow" but instead want a brutally sharp, well corrected modern ultra wide, you won't be disappointed. It's rendering to me is like a slower, much wider 50 APO.

At first, I somewhat hated its rather ruthless character, but gradually I've come to appreciate it's lack of nonsense. It is unforgiving, for which, over time, I have forgiven it. 

• Like 1

I have owned and used both lenses. The Leica SEM21/3.4 is sharp however I have had two samples that were not consistent across the frame (decentred). They went back to Leica a few times and I was never satisfied with it. 

I then purchase the VC21/1.8 which is stunning interms of optical resolution and sharp enough across the frame from 2.8 and perfect from f4 onwards.

Now that I have the M10 I purchased a Zeiss Biogon 21/4.5 that I managed to get at a price too good to miss. This lens is amazing - just as sharp as the VC21/1.8 but a lot smaller and lighter and unlike the VC you can mount ND Grad filters on it. 

I code it is the Leica 21/2.8 11134 and then use the flatfield plugin in lightroom to remove a very small amount of magenta cast in the right corner.

The only benefit of the SEM21/3.4 is that it is a bit lighter and that you can mount filters on it easier - optically the VC21/1.8 was better for me before I gave up because Leica's QC was lacking

Edited by nico1974
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really like my 21 SEM. Had a Biogon before and was not satisfied with its mechanics. 

M10 with 21 SEM.

barefootphoto.gallery

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Printmaker
  • Like 11

Ok, going to weigh in here on this and suggest the 21mm Voigtlander Color Skopar, of which I am a big fan!

For long time I've been toying with getting the Voitglander f1.8 that has had some great reviews. I have handled one on a M240 and agree with much of what's been said about the lens, it's really good and for the price you just can't beat it.....but it is a "lump" of a lens on the M10, as is the Summilux of course but for a lot more $$$.

I've also been struggling with whether to buy a 21mm SEM f3.4, but that is around four times the price of the Color Skopar and there's little difference between the f4 on the Skopar and the f3.4 on the SEM regarding speed and to a large extent very little difference in image quality too......And yes, I have used the 21mm SEM.

I've had a VC 21mm for some years now, the first version in Leica screw mount and now the latest M mount version and I've been consistently very pleased with the image quality and build of this little jewel.

I'm primarily a WA shooter with the M's, very rarely going over 50mm, and I've got 5 VC lenses below that 50mm marker....21mm, 25mm, 28mm, 35mm and 40mm all but the 35mm and the 40mm being Color Skopars and I like all of them, use them on a regular basis even though I have Leica M glass options too in about the same focal length ranges, ( 18mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm plus R 21mm and R21-35mm )

One other important plus for me with the Color Skopar's is their compact size and when mounted on a M10 with it's slimmed down body and using a VC clip-on finder, ( even though I have the choice of using the Visoflex if I need to ), the whole "package" is a joy to use.

The SEM is a wonderful lens, but I don't think it has much (or any) "glow" per se. Sharp, yes. Near zero distortion, yes. Manageable vignette get, yes. Flare resistant, yes. Small, light, and inexpensive by Leica standards, yes. But if you are looking for "glow", a la some of the Mandler designs it's not a good choice.

damn it……first reading then contributing to this thread tipped me over the edge and like Evo I too found a Ultron with a VC 21/25 finder for a good price and after years of hesitation succumbed.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Ultron will replace the Color Skopar in my favours or just compliment it.

Recieved the Ultron 21mm a few days ago and I have to say, I'm impressed and delighted with it's performance so far.  Plenty sharp even in the corners, size is not bad at all.  Loving the look at f2 close up and the ability to shoot at EI 20K with this lens on the M10 is paradigm shifting.  The look matches the Leica glass well, the only real niggle is the vignetting at f1.8-2 by 2.8 it's not bad and f4 it's not even noticeable.  There is also significant field curvature that means using the central rangefinder patch to focus on a person at 5'-6' and reframing is not usable at f2.  You have to use live view and reposition the magnification patch to where you want the frame.

Samples...

EI 20,000 @f1.8

Well I got my 21mm Ultron last week and I have to agree with Evo, in every way I too am very impressed with this lens throughout all the tests I've run since receiving it and the accessory Voigtlander 21/25 clip-on finder.

All my desires to get the 21mm SEM or even the Summilux 21mm have evaporated and I still have a lot of loose change unspent, so maybe I will be able to eat this month.

The Ultron coupled with it's junior 21mm Color Skopar cover all the needs I have for that focal length now, the Color Skopar going out when I want to travel light the Ultron for when I feel I need the aperture.

Edited by Guest