M10 Frameline Brightness - Firmware

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's been some bits and pieces of discussions on this in the past, imbedded into threads on the RF patch or frameline accuracy compared to 0.72 etc, however, I wanted to start a discussion on this in the hopes it could lead to a firmware update. I have a new M10 which I like more than my MP240 in most respects except for the fact that the frameline brightness seems to vary without reason, and is 'slow' to start up at times. I find this extremely annoying - at times it's been dimmer without reason than my older Leicas. I don't mind that they removed the colour option of the 240 (red or white...though I really liked red), but I'm not sure the rationale for whatever system they employed in the M10...because whatever it is, it doesn't work well, at all. And no, my finger isn't accidentally blocking any sensors or windows - ever. The whole point of digital framelines (while having the drawback of only being visible when power was on) was to free us from variations due to light gathering etc. Having a 'variable brightness of framelines according to external brightness' that actually reacts inappropriately in moving from bright to dark, or powering up, etc., is a complete waste of time and actually more important to me than a bit more ISO or dynamic range, since it directly affects what I'm seeing when I even put the camera to my eye. 

Delighted with the M10 otherwise, but Leica, please fix this if at all possible.

Anyone else with me on this one...or better yet, have any tips or settings I'm unaware of (besides of course suggesting my finger is in the way...).

Jon Pop.

• Like 2

John,

They're not digital framelines yet. They are still metal masks with slots that a light source shines through. In this case an LED provides the light instead of a little window and a mirror. I'm not sure if the LED light bulb and be made to be variable in that small of a size.

I have not noted any changes in the intensity of the frame lines. You may have a defective wiring issue...

Back to Wetzlar?

Albert  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

By the instruction manual (page 211 in my pdf copy) there is such function:

1. Bright-line frames for 50mm and 75mm1 (example) 

1 With automatic brightness control adjusted to the ambient brightness. This automatic control is not available for Leica M lenses with viewfinder attachments, since they cover the brightness sensor 5 which supplies the information required for their operation. In such cases the frame and displays always maintain a constant brightness. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Don't notice?  Heck, mine practically vanish.  The frame lines on my M-246 are at least twice as bright, and very visible whether in dim light or bright light.  Maybe there is some sample variation from one M10 to another...?...  Whatever the case, I just know mine are so dim that sometimes I wonder if the camera is turned-on.

• Like 2

I guess I have not really paid much attention to the brightness of the frame lines. I have been an M user for so long that I do not pay much attention to them. I am more focused (sorry) on my focusing. The older one gets, the harder it gets. No jokes here.....!

• Like 1

There's been some bits and pieces of discussions on this in the past, imbedded into threads on the RF patch or frameline accuracy compared to 0.72 etc, however, I wanted to start a discussion on this in the hopes it could lead to a firmware update. I have a new M10 which I like more than my MP240 in most respects except for the fact that the frameline brightness seems to vary without reason, and is 'slow' to start up at times. I find this extremely annoying - at times it's been dimmer without reason than my older Leicas. I don't mind that they removed the colour option of the 240 (red or white...though I really liked red), but I'm not sure the rationale for whatever system they employed in the M10...because whatever it is, it doesn't work well, at all. And no, my finger isn't accidentally blocking any sensors or windows - ever. The whole point of digital framelines (while having the drawback of only being visible when power was on) was to free us from variations due to light gathering etc. Having a 'variable brightness of framelines according to external brightness' that actually reacts inappropriately in moving from bright to dark, or powering up, etc., is a complete waste of time and actually more important to me than a bit more ISO or dynamic range, since it directly affects what I'm seeing when I even put the camera to my eye.

Delighted with the M10 otherwise, but Leica, please fix this if at all possible.

Anyone else with me on this one...or better yet, have any tips or settings I'm unaware of (besides of course suggesting my finger is in the way...).

Jon Pop.

There are no digital frame lines.

The just use a LED instead of available light....

....no high tech @all

same ol'shit as usual

Edited by screwmount

• 3 months later...

Has there been any further development on this? I'm experiencing the same annoyance with my new M10. In most situations the framelines are perfect and adequately bright for the situation, however there are random occasions where the framelines just dim suddenly and all but vanish completely making them essentially unusable. I've only so far had it happen indoors in medium to low light situations. I wish they would just always stay bright, seems kind of bizarre why they don't.

Jon Pop.

So pleased you brought this subject up as I feel exactly the same. The only thing I'm disappointed with on the M10 is the clearness of the frame lines. I had a M240 before trading it in for the M10 and still have the M246 Monochrom. I set both of these cameras to show Red frame lines which, in my opinion are much clearer than on the M10, especially in bright light. I wouldn't image that Leica would be able to change the colour by upgrading the firmware but hopefully they may be able to increase the brightness.

Regards, Tom

• Like 2

I have experienced the same, but only in low light conditions. It's certainly annoying, an optional setting to have a constant brightness (maybe adjustable) would be welcome. Shouldn't be too hard to implement...

Cheers,

Markus

See post #312 to 315, here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268492-m10-fw-requestsbug-reports/page-16

OVF = EVF in Leica's manual and different language

Try

MENU

EVF brightness

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

I've tried that - I cycled through all of the settings under EVF brightness on the menu, from Auto, High, Medium High, etc. - and didn't notice any difference, at all (not even a slight difference). I've put my finger over the little sensor window when the setting is at Auto, and also there has been zero difference. I have had the suggestion to do a reset of the camera though and will try that.  

• Like 3