To all Leica Q users

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

Today I wrote a request to Leica support asking theam for 2 very minor FW update that will improve the wonderful experience of using Leica Q and wish to have your support as users and write to Leica via email to interduce it in new FW, Its a very easy and minor change but will make the experience of using this wonderful camera even better, this is my request which I wrote by email:

Dear Sir,

I have Leica Q which I love so much and really enjoy using for everything, the only feature missing is the ability to shoot video in 24/50P as most of user including myself we use the camera in PAL region, I really wish that a firmware update will come soon to add this feature or at least the ability to choose between PAL/NTSC region in the camera. I do understand in Leica you listen to users feedback and wish that you will introduce this feature in the future firmware and give us the ability to shoot video in 25/50P.

Finally plz add the feature to turn exposure simulation off same feature as there in Leica SL, with exposure simulation off we can use Leica Q for Flash photography without the pain of dark viewfinder before pressing the shutter.

Regards

Ashkanani

Plz write to Leica on this email and I am sure they will listen and deliver at this email

ownersarea@leica-camera.com

Thanx

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

Today I wrote a request to Leica support asking theam for 2 very minor FW update that will improve the wonderful experience of using Leica Q and wish to have your support as users and write to Leica via email to interduce it in new FW, Its a very easy and minor change but will make the experience of using this wonderful camera even better, this is my request which I wrote by email:

Dear Sir,

I have Leica Q which I love so much and really enjoy using for everything, the only feature missing is the ability to shoot video in 24/50P as most of user including myself we use the camera in PAL region, I really wish that a firmware update will come soon to add this feature or at least the ability to choose between PAL/NTSC region in the camera. I do understand in Leica you listen to users feedback and wish that you will introduce this feature in the future firmware and give us the ability to shoot video in 25/50P.

Finally plz add the feature to turn exposure simulation off same feature as there in Leica SL, with exposure simulation off we can use Leica Q for Flash photography without the pain of dark viewfinder before pressing the shutter.

Regards

Ashkanani

Plz write to Leica on this email and I am sure they will listen and deliver at this email

ownersarea@leica-camera.com

Thanx

TNX! Love to have 24p - but what we really need in order to shoot video is manual exposure...

• Like 1

With the Leica Q2 right around the corner I don't think we will be seeing any firmware updates to the Q

Oh no, very bad news with the pain that a Nikon D850 is about to do to my bank balance. Hopefully this "news" is no more than an alternative fact ...

With the Leica Q2 right around the corner I don't think we will be seeing any firmware updates to the Q

Leica Q is selling quite well all around the World and I do not think they will launch the Q2 in 2018, there is no reason to do that. Around the corner there is the "small" SL, a TL2 with EVF included, with an estimated price positioning of 3.000 Euros, exactly where the hole is....:  1000€ C/V, 2000€ TL2, 3000€ new small SL, 4000€ Q, 5000€ SL, 6-7000€ M series... 

Edited by Batman57
  • Like 4

Hi everybody,

Dear Sir,

I have Leica Q which I love so much and really enjoy using for everything, the only feature missing is the ability to shoot video in 24/50P as most of user including myself we use the camera in PAL region, I really wish that a firmware update will come soon to add this feature or at least the ability to choose between PAL/NTSC region in the camera. I do understand in Leica you listen to users feedback and wish that you will introduce this feature in the future firmware and give us the ability to shoot video in 25/50P..

Regards

Ashkanani

Thanx

Ashkanani

I feel stupid asking this question, but here goes...

I understand your request although I don't personally shoot video so I'm curious. I'm in Europe so from my TV Repairman days, I know that PAL was an important standard.

What I don't understand is how so many of my neighbours (including Leica Wetzlar) have failed to mention or address the issue on the Q. How is everyone else in Europe creating PAL standard. Is there a convertor, or does it not really matter anymore?

Educate me someone please!

Thanks

Edited by lucerne

Ashkanani

I feel stupid asking this question, but here goes...

I understand your request although I don't personally shoot video so I'm curious. I'm in Europe so from my TV Repairman days, I know that PAL was an important standard.

What I don't understand is how so many of my neighbours (including Leica Wetzlar) have failed to mention or address the issue on the Q. How is everyone else in Europe creating PAL standard. Is there a convertor, or does it not really matter anymore?

Educate me someone please!

Thanks

Hi Lucern 

what you can and I am doing while shooting Video on the Q is using either 60/30 and than converter to 50/25 to make it PAL and working with all other clips in a certain video project that am doing, but shooting in 60/30 and slowing it to 50/25 the voice will be slow, other issue which is the main one is flickering, as in Europe and Asia most electrical frequency is 50hrtz, to get the video clean without flickering under artificial lighting you should shoot with 50/25p or shoot with 60/30p and reduce shutter to below normal, for example 60p require 1/120 you should shoot 60p with 1/100, but again sometimes it work sometime doesn't depend in the place and how much the artificial light is hitting the sensor, so a 25/50p will be really hopeful and now days all the cameras they offer the choices between PAL/NTSC I don't know why Leica even with TL2 they don't! the only exception here is the SL where all the frame rate is available.

yes maybe Leica Q2 around the corner maybe not, but there is no harm in updating a firmware with 2 basic features as I recall the TL and T had a nice firmware update months before TL2 introduced, and it is Leica Camera which are made to be used for a life time and I have faith in their fantastic customer care and feedback. 

• Like 1

Personally I think a Q2 is highly unlikely as there is really very little that they could do to upgrade the camera apart from properly weather-sealing it. It is not like the earlier M digital series where technology was moving so quickly that things could be greatly improved. 

Personally I think a Q2 is highly unlikely as there is really very little that they could do to upgrade the camera apart from properly weather-sealing it. It is not like the earlier M digital series where technology was moving so quickly that things could be greatly improved. 

To be fair, weather sealing it would be enough to make an upgrade worth it for many people. The Leica Q would become the ideal "go-everywhere" camera if weather-sealed -- it would be small, fast, pocketable, sturdy, and most importantly, protected from the elements. I would also like to see the next generation Q with the styling of the M: preferably, the classic Leica black paint, and as another choice, the iconic aluminium finish; dual SD card slots; a larger battery, and Sony-grade ISO performance. It is a $6000 camera (here in Australia...), and the Q is beginning to look outmoded in comparison to other brands' offerings.

To be fair, weather sealing it would be enough to make an upgrade worth it for many people. The Leica Q would become the ideal "go-everywhere" camera if weather-sealed -- it would be small, fast, pocketable, sturdy, and most importantly, protected from the elements. I would also like to see the next generation Q with the styling of the M: preferably, the classic Leica black paint, and as another choice, the iconic aluminium finish; dual SD card slots; a larger battery, and Sony-grade ISO performance. It is a $6000 camera (here in Australia...), and the Q is beginning to look outmoded in comparison to other brands' offerings.

Black paint wouldn't work so well as the top & bottom plates aren't made from brass. The current black chrome makes sense.

Aluminium?? I think you mean silver chrome. They could offer that.

Look, let's get real! I suffer from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) as much as the next person but like all compulsive behaviour the time comes when it is necessary to take control of oneself. What is actually wrong with the Q? OK 6 months into ownership and I am still having a love affair. But realistically what is so difficult about keeping it out of heavy rain? Polythene bag if you must. Paint finish? Come on this is a means to taking cracking photos and who cares whether paint, chrome or whatever, it looks good as it is. Dual cards, OK I have them on my D800 but I basically shoot in RAW and even if I shot in JPEG+RAW what is the big issue of downloading into separate folders or sorting according to type?

Let's get out there and just enjoy a superb photographic tool. OK 5 years down the line technology will have moved to a different level but the Q is hardly obsolete at the moment. Is it so inadequate that it impacts on the quality of images you capture? What more would these embellishments add to the actual images you capture? Surely that is the bottom line.

Signed, Grumpy Old Man

• Like 8

5 years onwards technology has moved forwards, but photos from Q will look just as good as they do today. It's such a high quality product that it looks set to be obosolte only when it's dead.

Hard to see what more would we want from IQ? We have high iso, fast af, low noise, great colors etc already. Enough resolution for huge prints.

Professionals naturally always want/need more, but for rest of us. Honestly, what else could we possibly _need_ (GAS aside)?

So it would have to be something regarding haptics, wether sealing etc etc. But then we risk increasing size/weight.

• Like 7