Afraid of using the M?

Anika

You are more likely to get run over by a bus, struck by lightening than have an unfortunate event with your Leica. Get over it.

Actually, I hope that's not thru.....I had some experience with wrecking some parts of my camera M6, M8 MP ...My solace is that Leica can repair broken parts very well and as new. Or they replace the parts and it looks as new again. 

Edited by Paulus

Actually, I hope that's not thru.....I had some experience with wrecking some parts of my camera M6, M8 MP ...My solace is that Leica can repair broken parts very well and as new. Or the replace the parts and it looks as new again. 

Understood. I have wrecked an M9 due to a crash - of my own fault.

• Like 1

The chances of wrecking an M9, while driving a bicycle will be somewhat less, than astronomical.. ;)

For sure! We can define 'somewhat less than astronomical' in my case as a measure of ounces of Jack Daniels per hour. :(  But that was then. Life is entirely different today - until/if it is not. Working on it day by day.

You are a good man, Paulus.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fact: you are going to die.

A fact which has come into greater focus with each passing day ever since I turned 60 two years ago.

And it is because of this fact that I have become more reluctant to make substantial purchases like this, whether it be music OR photography gear, simply because of the "quality of life" window becoming increasingly smaller with each birthday.

Yes, this is something that is beyond my control and I should not obsess about it.  I wish it was that easy to turn off.

But alas, this is something I have been cursed with from a very young age.

A fact which has come into greater focus with each passing day ever since I turned 60 two years ago.

And it is because of this fact that I have become more reluctant to make substantial purchases like this, whether it be music OR photography gear, simply because of the "quality of life" window becoming increasingly smaller with each birthday.

Yes, this is something that is beyond my control and I should not obsess about it.  I wish it was that easy to turn off.

But alas, this is something I have been cursed with from a very young age.

I read somewhere, that it is more enjoyable to give away your money before your death, than after your death. So enjoy! About quality of life: IMHO it is all right not to choose for all the " new " stuff but enjoy what you already have even more. Even if you have less.

• Like 1

I read somewhere, that it is more enjoyable to give away your money before your death, than after your death. So enjoy! About quality of life: IMHO it is all right not to choose for all the " new " stuff but enjoy what you already have even more. Even if you have less.

...and I have been doing exactly that.  Not cash but rather in the form of a nice piece of gear I own which would be appreciated more by someone else.

Specifically very dear old friends.  Once such piece was a very nice guitar I gifted to an old college buddy.  He broke down in tears when I made that simple gesture.  THAT was worth many times more than the guitar.  

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It will help if you black tape the logo,

What a load of bollocks....................get yourself a nice pink Arte Di Mango 1/2 case and you will blend into the background :) :) That's what I did and I managed to take some pictures as well

neil

• 3 months later...

There is a wonderful and too little known book called The Joyless Economy by Tibor Scitovsky, the late Hungarian economist. Scitovsky says basically that most everything consumers buy, like cars, tvs, computers, a new sofa, even a new house--lose their thrill for us because we adapt to them easily. These deprive consumption of its joy. Scitovsky says a joyful transaction happens when you are in the presence of something to which you must adapt--a beautiful landscape, dinner with a friend or the few goods which are passports to the surprising, the awe inspiring. That's what a Leica is: most of us Leica users really can never reach the camera's full potential. So if the OP is lucky, the disequilibrium he felt on getting his new M10 will only increase!

• Like 5

Hello,

I had Leica X before and adored it, now I got (finally) my M10 and.... I am afraid of using it.

Its hard to describe, but I just feel handicapped carrying such an expensive camera.

I am thinking of loosing the possibility to sell it again - I know its silly.... but how you manage it?

Hi Anika,

You could choose the artist's approach.

René Magritte had the answer in his famous work La trahison des images!

Just put a sticker over the red Leica logo with the following text:  Ceci n'est pas une Leica

Now you will be perfectly in disguise and will be able to use your tool for what it's made for, taking photographs and have a great time!  :rolleyes:

enjoy it

mich

Anika,

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Leica M! 

What you are experiencing is not that uncommon.  The thing is to not let it rob you of the joy of owning such a beautiful camera and lens set - and to not let the fear of scratches, damage, loss or theft to stop you from using and enjoying your M10 and lenses.

How do you do that?

Get full coverage insurance - a policy that will pay for any damage, loss, theft, destruction of camera & lenses, etc.  Make sure your coverage will pay replacement cost rather than a smaller percentage of replacement cost based on age and adjusted (depreciated) value of your camera and lenses.  Finding the right coverage may take some effort; if all else fails, there is ASMP Prosurance, which is the coverage that I have.

Exercise reasonable care when using your M10.  You have to decide for yourself what defines "reasonable care."  That varies from photographer to photographer.  For me, that constitutes not using my M-P 240 and lenses during a tornado, hurricane, sandstorm, tsunami, earthquake, asteroid impact, in a riot, in a war zone, etc.  I will use my gear during snow, wind, and light to moderate rain, though; every photographer has to decide for themselves what constitutes acceptable risk to equipment vs. unacceptable risk.

It also helps greatly to be aware of the surface on which you are walking and to watch out for obstacles that can cause you to trip, sprawl face first on the ground or concrete and send your camera flying through the air (this has happened to me twice in past years; I had a 300mm f/4 lens broken in half as a result of tripping and falling on a lobster boat pier in Maine; lesson learned).

The best way to avoid being robbed of your camera kit is to not to go to cities, towns, areas or locations that are known to have a high incidence of robbery and/or criminal activity; we're back to the concept of acceptable risk vs. unacceptable risk.  Research the city or area that you want to photograph before going there.  The only way to be 100% safe is to never go anywhere with your M10 but due diligence (research), common sense and situational awareness can drastically reduce your chances of being robbed. 

Also - never leave your camera kit unattended, never leave it in plain sight in a vehicle or in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, even if it is covered by a coat, blanket, etc.  Do not leave your camera kit in the trunk or passenger compartment of a vehicle during hot weather, either.  Heat can and will damage lenses and the electronic components in  camera bodies.  When traveling or dining out, never let your camera kit out of your sight.

Taking all the above actions will reduce your odds of loss, damage, destruction or theft of your M10 and lenses to a very low level; if the worst still comes to pass, that's what the insurance is for.

Now get out, use and enjoy your M10 and lenses - life is short and time flies whether you are having fun or not.  :)

Edited by Herr Barnack