Afraid of using the M?

Anika

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had expensive equipment before, but not as expensive as my M10. But nevertheless I carry it around everywhere playing with my kids, balancing on stones, crossing rivers, going through bushes … The camera is made to be used, not for decoration on a shelf.

• Like 2

Concentrate on the end result the vision you see through the rangefinder and use the camera as much as possible. Unless of course you live in a 'rough' area. Then you have to even more careful with your M10 gem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I added international coverage to my home insurance, so the M10 and lenses are insured in case I trip (do that regularly) or just smash the camera into something (I am not a vandal, but see little depth). I only tripped once during my holidays and the M10 did not even hit the stone path, so insurance also works for more convenient meetings with the pavement. Anyway being insured reduced any anxiety about using the camera.

Edited by stephan54

I read that and although the lady did not act in a smart way it are the negative remarks that really p*ss me off. We seem to accept that Bagage is treated in an utterly rough way and that respect for someone's possessions is a thing of the past. The situation is that I have to take precautions so that others are free to behave as they like. Some cameras in the right places and taking action against those who show this anti-social behaviour is the way to go. Same about the remarks about her being rich and having a camera as a status symbol. Perhaps she is rich, perhaps an inexperienced flyer or this all falls in the category of fake news.

Edited by stephan54

Hi Anika, first welcome to the forum!

My only digital was until a few months ago the X1 which I kept using for years (and still use sometimes!) before buying the M10, which I bought much encouraged by my wife. As she said life is short and if we can afford buy it. And use it NOW !

Do not be afraid to use it, try to find a simple project which interest you and which can be developed in your area, no need for exotic travels or much time available. Your surrounding, people you know, people working in your area, your house or your family...in this way you'll find the M10 to be an excellent tool and you'll be confident to have it with you.

I understand your fear because there are times when I'm "embarrassed" to use it and this is only when I go out with some other photographers who start to make comments about Leica and most of times these comments are only about the price...I always try to stop them just saying I'm almost 70 and I cannot bring my spared money with me in the grave  :) Small personal rant:  I never understand why I could spent 10K EUR on a motorcycle without anyone commenting but if I buy an expensive camera it seems to be something at least  strange...

Anika, use it daily, maybe only a few minutes if you are too busy but try a daily use (by the way the iso performances allows an indoor use!),

All the best, robert

• Like 3

It's easy with expensive gear to fall into the trap of spending more time and attention protecting that gear than actually using it.  Many photographers will keep their camera inside a bag, retrieving it only when they are ready to take a picture.  They leave filters on the front of the lenses because they're afraid of scratching the glass (or, conversely, they leave the lens cap on until the moment they're ready to take a picture).

To each their own, but to me that sort of gear-first mentality is anathema to good photography.  As others have mentioned, you need to get in the mindset that your camera is a tool, to be used. 

For me, it helps to acknowledge that that expensive new M I just bought is designed to be consumed.  Consumed in the sense that one day it will be gone, all used up; and that what I received in return for it being used up are tens of thousands of images.  When I ask myself which I most want - the dollars that bought that camera; the camera itself, pristine and mint; or the camera gone, all used up - but having been exchanged for all those tens of thousands of images... some, hopefully, that I am greatly attached to - the answer is clear.

Take due, reasonable care of your gear.  But don't forget why you bought it.

• Like 3

It's interesting how this (buyer's remorse) is a universal phenomenon, especially the first time you buy something as a non-professional and is more than you ever imagined you would spend on such a thing.

It reminds me of the first time I got a real musical instrument: one that was built with performance, recording, and an expectation of improving after having it for decades, much less a few years.  "Why buy such a thing?!" I was asked.  The reason there was very similar to the reason I purchased the M10.  Buying that instrument really brought music closer to me, me closer to it.  Not because of the price, no, but because of the exquisite sound that came from its sound board (it was a '47 Martin 000 28).  Playing it made me want to play it even more.

I feel the same thing happening with the M10.  There is not a single place I go to where I wouldn't want to take it.  Beach, mountains, cities, inside, outside, etc.  I look at things differently now than what I did just a few short months ago.  Sizing up how something I see may look in a photo.  Having the M10 has brought photography closer to me, and me to it.  

Enjoy what you have.  Rejoice in knowing that you have either worked hard to earn it or, if claiming it was due to a windfall, then rejoice in being so blessed.  In either case, live in the moment, not with regret.

• Like 2

I don't think I would have gotten the M10 if I had an ounce of buyers remorse in me, nor would I keep it. If you're worried about using it, then the M is not for you. If you love photography like I do, you will learn to take care of your M and use it and even embrace the nicks and scratches it eventually gets.

Just remember; digital cameras have a 5-10yr shelf life or less. After that they will be worth very little. The time to shoot a digital M is now. If you want more of keepsake, I would suggest picking up a film M and shooting analog, that will never be outdated.

Ive taken the digital M10 with me on travel, to poor places, etc, nobody has ever bothered me. I would be more worried taking an M to a place like San Francisco, inequality is high there, where photographers are mugged all the time.

It's the same for me with anything expensive I've acquired (new or used) - car, camera or new baby. I just have to wait until I've put the first mark on them, then I can relax. (Anyone who thinks new babies don't come into the 'expensive' category needs to spend two decades with them).

Edited by LocalHero1953

Which lens or lenses did you get Anika? Did you buy new?

Do you have a camera bag with you when you go out? If so, make sure it’s got a clear identification tag/tally with phone number and email address. This won’t deter thieves but it may help if it’s inadvertently misplaced or lost. Perhaps even put a small label on the camera (or case) itself with contact details. If you’re really worried, get a small lock for the bag.

As others have said, I think these feelings will pass sooner or later. It’s a good investment compared with most other camera brands, the lenses especially sometimes. You’ll always be able to sell it if you decide it doesn’t work out for you. But you should at least give it a chance. Plenty of photographers and videographers use even more expensive medium-format gear and the like. Musicians too can need expensive instruments and audio equipment.

When starting out, start in places you feel comfortable. With family and friends or just in the park during the day. If you don’t have friends into photography you could find some photography social groups or clubs for added security.

I don’t know if most people even realise the value of a Leica. Those that do are hopefully unlikely to be thieves.

And finally, common sense should prevail. Don’t do stupid things like leaving it visible in a car on the street overnight, or even for short periods. Most insurance policies will only cover you if it’s concealed in a (locked) vehicle for instance. I’ve been the victim of theft (from my car) and I’ve lost even more through my own carelessness and stupidity. I’m sure with a bit of care you’ll be fine.

There are always cheaper alternatives that are a step up from the X such as the Leica Q or TL2. But I’m guessing you wanted to start the journey into rangefinder photography and manual primes. No one here will blame or fault you for that!

Edited by Simon

Ive taken the digital M10 with me on travel, to poor places, etc, nobody has ever bothered me. I would be more worried taking an M to a place like San Francisco, inequality is high there, where photographers are mugged all the time.

This worries me about America. I get the impression it’s more dangerous than other Western countries. Makes me not want to visit particularly. That and all the guns.