Afraid of using the M?

Anika

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I had Leica X before and adored it, now I got (finally) my M10 and.... I am afraid of using it.

Its hard to describe, but I just feel handicapped carrying such an expensive camera.

I am thinking of loosing the possibility to sell it again - I know its silly.... but how you manage it?

• Like 1

... now I got (finally) my M10 and ... I am afraid of using it. It's hard to describe, but I just feel handicapped carrying such an expensive camera.

Just keep using it. This feeling of "oh my gosh, it's so expensive, what if it gets a scratch" will wear off sooner or later. After all, it's just a tool. Expensive it is only before you pay for it. After that, it's just a camera.

• Like 11

Do a training on your mind. Do not think about cost but focus on the passion and the many possibilities the M10 offers you. Use it as much as possible considering it as a tool and stripping it out of the rest. I am sure that after a short time any fear will pass.

• Like 2

Anika.

You have to forget how much it cost. It doesn't matter. This is your new camera and you decided that you wanted something special and were prepared to use your money to get it.. Remember that the camera and your lenses are going to keep their value but it's the performance of the system that is going to give you a lot of satisfaction. If you don't get the results you want or don't enjoy using it, then you should sell, but I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have three Leica models and 8 lenses. My greatest concern is when I'm carrying two bodies and two lenses on an aeroplane.

Do you realise that the lowest price new Rolex would cost at least £5000. That's about the cost of the M10. Rolex owners don't leave their wristwatches at home.

I hope you will continue to be a Leica user and share your photos on this forum.

Please come back to this forum and let us know how you are getting on.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I had Leica X before and adored it, now I got (finally) my M10 and.... I am afraid of using it.

Its hard to describe, but I just feel handicapped carrying such an expensive camera.

I am thinking of loosing the possibility to sell it again - I know its silly.... but how you manage it?

Fact: you are going to die. Do you want to live without enjoying your M10?

• Like 7

Had a bit of this feeling shortly when I got my M 240. But for me the camera is a tool. So I never think about the price any more when I'm working with the camera. Now it has also some scratches and the metal becomes visible, what makes it even easier. But I never have sold any camera I had and have never thought about selling it some day. So I don't care if there might be a a possible loss. Even if there might come a better M-Leica I will keep my M as a backup. It fit's my needs in a way that it will always be a good camera for me, even if there will be a better one.
I guess if you want to use it like a normal camera, that's the only way to go. Otherwise you are not really free to do all you might want with the camera. Then maybe another camera might be better.

Regards

Frank

• Like 2

I add another consideration. If you are afraid to use your camera it can mean that it controls you while it is supposed to be the opposite. To have fun completely you must be active and not passive ;-)

Edited by Al_OOF
  • Like 2

I know that there is a point of no return when you get your first mark or scratch on it, I am just seconds before that moment and feel bad getting such an expensive tool for "just" making pictures - I know very well, that I could use much less expensive set to get my pictures done, but I wanted the Leica experience, wanted to have the best - well, not the best, but the pure tool feeling, now I admire my new M10 in my hands, play with it a lot to know how all works, but still have the silly feeling of really taking it out - I ask myself what got you to pay more for something you could get with much less..... I really don't want to part with my new M10 - I just need to surpass myself, but its so hard......

Just to add to my earlier comments. My first Leica was an M9-P which I really love. I then convinced myself that I needed the features of the Leica Q . A couple of trips with that camera convinced me that I didn't enjoy using it, so I put it to one side. I also realised that my M9 would probably suffer from the sensor problem so I bought an M240-P. Today, my M9-P is returning to me and I will have three bodies. The idea of selling the M9 is upsetting me. I'm even considering the purchase of an M-D.

Everything Leica that I own was expensive but I don't regret spending the money. I don't allow non-leica users to interfere in my decisions because they have no idea about what they are missing! The pleasure of owning and using leica makes it all worthwhile and I'm not planning on taking money with me to my next life. I'm 70 years old.

• Like 12

When I got my first scratch on my M240, I was honestly relieved! The brass showed and the camera was no longer "perfect." Since then, I started to enjoy it and use it more. Same thing happened with all the cars I've owned. Driving them off the dealer's lot was nerve racking until the first tiny dents started to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It will help if you black tape the logo, and black tape some other details, edges, bottom plate, etc. When human tactile sensation is not in direct contact with expensive finish, it does not get distracted. You may also wear gloves when photographing; say (fingerless) leather gloves are great — not so much to preserve the precious camera, but to keep distance from tactile distraction, and to approach the camera in a manner a gardener approaches his trusty secateurs, or a professional chauffeur any car he drives. When equipped like that, you then know you are off to serious work, and will not be distracted.

Edited by Apoqualia
  • Like 1

Hello,

Do not use the bloody thing (M10), sell it and get something that will not be such a financial loss for you should something happens to it. Enjoy photography if that what is you aim. However if you are one of those who like to caress your precious Leica do it in privacy of your home and do not take it outside. Be creative, experiment, print and share your photos with family and friends and I bet that no one will be looking for that Leica look and micro contrast that only ‘Leica man’ is interested in.

It will help if you black tape the logo, and black tape some other details, edges, bottom plate, etc.

Very funny. I hope the readership understands what facetious means.

...and who is vlaik if he is not a troll?

Edited by pico

You are not alone. I know exactly how you feel. I have wanted an M for 30 years and last year I was able to afford a new 262. I too felt the responsibility of this expensive camera. I was paranoid about losing it, taking it off my neck in cafes. But slowly I got over that. Take it out. Have fun. Put in on cafe tables but keep it in sight. My worry was never about scratches or bumps (they're part of the life of the camera) but on losing it or forgetting it someplace. I really wanted to tell you that your reaction is not that unusual. The more you use it the more you'll forget the price. I have to say that there are some places I'm still not confident taking it - I'm going to the Edinburgh Fringe and with all that charging around between venues I don't think I'll have time for photography. So I'm still not 100% over my nervousness. Good luck.

• Like 1