TL series is Leica's ( most important ) Future

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is quoted from Leica that TL is the most important product line for Leica's future.

TL2 has been reported to be about equal in every major aspect except the sensor size and sensor size related properties. Once the newer upgraded version adding the built in EVF, there won't be much missing must-have features.

• Like 1

It is quoted from Leica that TL is the most important product line for Leica's future.

TL2 has been reported to be about equal in every major aspect except the sensor size and sensor size related properties. Once the newer upgraded version adding the built in EVF, there won't be much missing must-have features.

I suspect the "newer upgraded version" is not going to be a TL 2+, but rather more along the lines of the X/Q series. 

No insight, just a guess.

Well, if you consider that the S really is aimed at the working professional, and to an extent so is the SL; the M system, to my mind, is for the keen amateur.  That leaves the TL as the only other system offered by Leica, so I think that comment must be true.

The camera differentiates itself from pretty much every other APS-C system camera, it appears to have an excellent 24MP sensor and it carries that Leica approach to photography, which appeals to those who seem prepared to pay a premium for their products.  I will leave it to others to comment on whether or not the premium for the TL is worth it, over other APS-C offerings.  Compared to other Leica products, it seems reasonably priced.  Then again , every reviewer seems to point out that they think it is expensive.

I used to be keen on an M series camera with built in EVF, or a mini SL; now, I'm not so sure ... I don't mind using the LCD, and I will buy another EVF at some stage before too long, so I have that option in my pocket.  I tried keeping the EVF on permanently, and ergonomically it didn't work for me.

Would a built in EVF be an advantage?  The GPS would need to be built in as well; the camera would be larger; and presumably you couldn't tilt the built in EVF as you can with the current Visoflex 020.  I'm really not convinced anymore.  Sure, every other APS-C camera competing with the TL2 has a built in EVF, leaving the TL2 the only iPhone like camera where you can only use the LCD.  I'm finding that doesn't really matter in practice, except when I bring the camera up to my face expecting to look through a viewfinder ...

i agree built-in EVF might not that important, and it is true to want it and to need it can have a large distance. But having a built-in EVF should be able to put off this "nonsense critics", so more common photographers can feel better to consider it.

I would call it a "political correct" move.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt it would be a X3 or a resurrected XV. A QV? possible but low likely.

But does it make any sense that Leica would release 2 similar versions of the TL (one with and without a viewfinder), and so soon in time to one another?

I think the original T was the most important product launch in Leica's future, because it had three massive (for Leica) innovations:

- it's first modern digital mount, later used in the SL.

- a new manufacturing system, machined alloy, also used on the SL. This process is easily and cheaply adapted to different body shapes using CNC machinery.

- a new approach to the human interface and menu design, though I think this has taken the TL2 to refine it fully. I think Leica's abilities in human interface design (the S, SL and M10 all show different aspects of this) are greatly underestimated.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

IMO with todays sensor quality dx-sized sensor can offer a sweet spot between image quality and camera/lens-size and price for the hobby photographer cloud.

So I believe with the right TL-products they can eventually sell higher volumes than the relativly expensive SL or S systems.

Edited by tom0511

The M43 flagships, new, are actually more expensive than TL2. The fujifilm APSC flag ships is over 90% of TL2. So TL2 is nit really that much of "red tag" "Leica expensive" as people were thinking.

Yes, in the second hand market, Leica us still relatively much more expensive. That is different story.

Given that the Fujifilm and Sony APSC are quickly catching up on the price, I wonder if Leica will raise the price in the next release. --- The TL lenses price has already been up quite a lot (20%?) recently.

But does it make any sense that Leica would release 2 similar versions of the TL (one with and without a viewfinder), and so soon in time to one another?

Why not? That's exactly what Canon just did with their EOS M5 and EOS M6. They are the same camera, apart from the viewfinder.

• Like 1

I have always said that Leica could make a really unique APS-C system which would appeal not only to amateurs but also the pro market. Canon and Nikon make such 'pro' spec bodies in their DSLR range. 

Not everyone wants or needs FF. The cost and size benefits of the smaller body and lenses could be very appealing, but they really need a body which would appeal to such prospective customers and the T/TL/TL2 isn't it. 

A scaled down SL body might be. 

I have always said that Leica could make a really unique APS-C system which would appeal not only to amateurs but also the pro market. Canon and Nikon make such 'pro' spec bodies in their DSLR range. 

Not everyone wants or needs FF. The cost and size benefits of the smaller body and lenses could be very appealing, but they really need a body which would appeal to such prospective customers and the T/TL/TL2 isn't it. 

A scaled down SL body might be. 

What are the aspects of the TL2 that make it unsuitable for the pro market, and why would a scaled down SL be better? The EVF? 

Hmmm, why did Leica design the SL as they did? Why didn't they just make a 'scaled up' TL?

I'm not a mind reader. Tell me.

You said a 'scaled down SL body' might appeal to pros, but a TL2 doesn't. Aside from the EVF bump, there's not much difference in body shape, other than a few curves.

Edited by LocalHero1953