Let's talk the 75 Lux- pics on M10 please

rwchisholm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everything's relative.  Certainly compared to the 35 and 50mm Summiluxes, its a large lens, but not compared to other FF lenses of its ilk in everyday use.  I find the only slight ergonomic difficult is the long throw focus.  Occasionally a bit of cranking is necessary, though it does make for more precision.    

I agree, and I could really do with a focus tab. 

• Like 1

I agree, and I could really do with a focus tab. 

I agree, and I got a Leica Goodie steer. It is quite helpful. If you can stand the expense, SK Grimes makes a very good focusing lever. I have one for a 50mm Summicron. Grimes makes it so that placing the lever at 6 o'clock keeps the camera level when placed down - it won't tip forward.

• Like 1

Here's a sample.

Erik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by egrossman

I agree, and I got a Leica Goodie steer. It is quite helpful. If you can stand the expense, SK Grimes makes a very good focusing lever. I have one for a 50mm Summicron. Grimes makes it so that placing the lever at 6 o'clock keeps the camera level when placed down - it won't tip forward.

Might have to get me one 'o them thingamabobs. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Like 2

Ha, you got me ou playing with the 75/1.4 today. Mine is the "Wetzlar Miniature" :-)

It's an amazing lens for monochrom photography. The colors of the 75mm/1.4 are better than I remember. They are actually quite up to date. It's the coating control of light reflections that plays a trick some times. In the micro details there are some "halo"effects with very strong light reflections. That's very disturbing in color photography, but not in Monochrom. 

For portraits that's what is making the 75/1.4 amazing because it produces the Mandler "soft but detailed" look. 

As for the Canada/Wetzlar versions, even I have the Wetzlar version, I would trust the Canadian versions more. It was Mandlers design, and he was CEO in Canada. The older Version I from Canada with the ventilated shade can be quite charming. Version II Canada had built-in shade (same as the the Wetzlar version) The Wetzlar version is 50g lighter or something after changing the focusing mechanism. I have an article on 75mm lenses here: http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-75mm-Summilux-M-f-14.html

B1000940-725w-2.jpg

B1000940-725w.jpg

B1000928-725w-2.jpg

B1000928-725w.jpg

B1000936-970w.jpg

B1000936-970w-2.jpg

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think the 75lux is at its best in color. ..

Well, that's a matter of taste. i can't show any M10 pictures with the 75 lux since I have not had both in my hands at the same time, but I got great color shots with it on the M9.

It does have fairly strong longitudinal color aberrations at larger apertures (red bleeding into small dark areas, cyan bleeding into small highlights - or color rings in the "bokeh"), and it is low contrast, which desaturates colors a bit. And it is the poster-child for overall "Mandler 1980 cyan" color rendering (note the extra-subdued red bricks/tiles in Thorsten's cottage picture above).

The first I learned to work around or fix, the second two are what drew me to Leitz lenses in the first place, so I'm always glad to see them.

But yes - if one is used to the color/contrast of post-1990-designed Solms/Wetzlar 2.0 APO-ASPH Leica (not Leitz) lenses, the Summilux's 35-year-old rendering is a whole different animal.

• Like 3

Well, that's a matter of taste. i can't show any M10 pictures with the 75 lux since I have not had both in my hands at the same time, but I got great color shots with it on the M9.

It does have fairly strong longitudinal color aberrations at larger apertures (red bleeding into small dark areas, cyan bleeding into small highlights - or color rings in the "bokeh"), and it is low contrast, which desaturates colors a bit. And it is the poster-child for overall "Mandler 1980 cyan" color rendering (note the extra-subdued red bricks/tiles in Thorsten's cottage picture above).

The first I learned to work around or fix, the second two are what drew me to Leitz lenses in the first place, so I'm always glad to see them.

But yes - if one is used to the color/contrast of post-1990-designed Solms/Wetzlar 2.0 APO-ASPH Leica (not Leitz) lenses, the Summilux's 35-year-old rendering is a whole different animal.

Yes. About the cyan Mandler thing. My son got this week an old Summicron 50 R, the version at the time of the Leicaflex. Lenses from Leica from the sixties often show this blueish/cyan cast. On the M10, given its preference for yellow in certain situations, this gives an extraordinary nice Kodachrome25, neutral, not overly saturated result. I was positively shocked by the fingerprint of this Summicron50 R on the M10, seems as nice as the 75lux at first sight, but I have to further analyze it. Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Quality thread. Nice to see you picking it up again, Thorsten. 

It can definitely be a bit soft wide open (this one is also slighttttly out of focus), but the color and character is great: 

H0nHAuP.jpg

• Like 1

I've been lucky enough to be leant a 75 summilux (thank you Cam) - lovely (if idiosyncratic) lens.

Here are a couple on the M10

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 9

Technically, there were three construction versions of the 75 Summilux-M f/1.4 (all with the same glass and "look" however) - v.1 Canadian, separate lens hood (first year or two of production), lighter weight, skinnier in the rear part of the barrel; v.2 Canadian, heavier, a bit fatter, with built-in sliding hood; v.3 Marked Germany, lighter again, but built-in hood and generally externally hard to distinguish from the v.2 Canadian (the weight was shaved off internally).

An important difference between v.1 and v.2/v.3 is the cam activating the roller cam on the M bodies. See the following message from Pico.

Correct and understood - it is one reason the v.1 is lighter weight (less metal needed for the pusher rod than for a full circular cam barrel). Although it is more of an engineering difference than a photographer's difference - unless the pushrod grease gets sticky ;) ).

For whatever it's worth, here's a couple of comparisons between new and old lenses. The 75mm has it's signature in black and white, and colors.

I would say that the main "challenges" with the 75mm Summilux is to avoid side light into the lens, and to get the focus accurate. And then to "know when to stop" meaning very bright color captures against the light source. But that is the same for for example the 50mm Summicron f/2.0 Rigid. In certain scenes it just goes really wrong in color photo with strong light hitting the lens from the side. 

75mm Summilux:

B1001056-725w.jpg

28mm Summilux ASPH f/1.4 (only the crop of the scene equivalent to the 75mm view)

B100106028-crop.jpg

Another scene with 75mm Summilux in color:

B1000959-725w.jpg

And the same scene with the current 50mm Summilux ASPH f/1.4:

B1000962-725w.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photo's (as usual) Jono. I'm considering a 75 for my M10, which one do you prefer the Cron Apo or the Lux?

Hi There Elwyn

I guess that if I had to have one then it would be the 75 'cron, which is really the big brother of the 50 'lux Asph and has similar characteristics, less idiosyncratic, but smaller and easier to use. Just my feeling!

• Like 2

I guess that if I had to have one then it would be the 75 'cron, which is really the big brother of the 50 'lux Asph and has similar characteristics, less idiosyncratic, but smaller and easier to use. Just my feeling!

Your comment just pushed me into getting the 75 Summicron this morning – and jolly pleased i am. It looks and renders, as you say, like a heavier version of the 50 Summilux ASPH and although I'd only recently bought the 75 Summaron something about the images with it I didn't like: a kind of of edge harshness. Some might say it had greater resolution but the 75 Summicron rendering is so likeable. In short: thanks Jono!

PS. Best to use the EVF with this lens (75 Summicron) at close distances and near maximum aperture

• Like 1