90 to 280 afor portrait?

Lazytiger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you try Leica's vertical grip before settling on the RRS plate?

Nope. Don't like the look  and bulk of it. Perfectly able to hold the camera in portrait mode as it is :)

I'm absolutely happy with the RRS one. Especially that little hole for the QR system is exactly at the right spot. The camera rests where I want it to when the belt is over my shoulder - at my side, heads down, lens pointing backwards. And is released with the push of a button.

And if there is an easy way for you to find out which company makes that wrist strap of yours, please do.  It looks very comfortable!

It is. Bought it way back for my Nikon. Unfortunately there is no label on it. So I cannot help you with the company, as much as I'd wish to....

Edited by Lazytiger

I have found that one of the key things in making a successful  portrait is having the right impact on the subject -- a personable approach, no harsh lighting, minimal distractions etc. 

While a fine lens, big lenses like the 90-280 risk putting the subject ill at ease, so I choose a non-zoom smaller lens in the 75-90mm range.

• Like 1

A fair point, but at the same time with the reach of the 90-280 you can shoot from quite far back after your subject has eased into the situation. Tele zooms in the same range are very frequently used by wedding photographers, for example.

I have found that one of the key things in making a successful  portrait is having the right impact on the subject -- a personable approach, no harsh lighting, minimal distractions etc. 

While a fine lens, big lenses like the 90-280 risk putting the subject ill at ease, so I choose a non-zoom smaller lens in the 75-90mm range.

• Like 1

As someone who has been on a good number of specific portrait workshops, most of my best images were take at 180mm+ with the SL, standing a long way behind the gaggle of other photographers with their portrait and shorter lenses stuck in the models face. Candid portraits between 'posed' shots nearly always catch more character and mood, and often allow viewpoints you don't get from closer up. With OIS the image quality at 280mm is indistinguishable from that of 75/90mm dedicated lenses. I think the issue on 'intimidation' has more to do with proximity than lens size ...... and good portrait photographers can quickly put their subjects at ease whatever they are using. 

• Like 3