Comparing Lenses When You Don't Have Ready Access

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will soon buy a used wide angle lens and I'm not sure what to get.  I'm not looking for suggestions using this thread.  My dilemma is not having easy access to compare lenses.  The nearest Leica dealer is several hundred miles away and there are no nearby Leica clubs to do side by side comparisons.  I've thought about "buying" a couple of lenses and comparing both over a weekend and then returning one of them but I'm not sure if that is appropriate.  Years ago I spoke to a salesman at B&H about ordering two lenses with the understanding that I'd return one of them and he was hesitant so I dropped the subject.  (I'm not bashing B&H and I've bought equipment from them after talking to them about ordering two lenses at the same time for comparison).  I plan to call a few dealers to talk about options.  My question is how do others compare lenses when they don't have nearby dealers or clubs?

Ray

Edited by Raycpa

I subscribe to Sean Reid's site "ReidReviews" . Sean's reviews are very detailed and include almost all M-mount lenses.  The last two M lenses I've purchased are the result  of his reviews.  You might look at his index and if he has covered the lenses you are interested in take out a one year subscription @ $40.  I find it a small price to avoid making a much more expensive mistake.

• Like 1

I will soon buy a used wide angle lens and I'm not sure what to get.  I'm not looking for suggestions using this thread.  My dilemma is not having easy access to compare lenses.  The nearest Leica dealer is several hundred miles away and there are no nearby Leica clubs to do side by side comparisons.  I've thought about "buying" a couple of lenses and comparing both over a weekend and then returning one of them but I'm not sure if that is appropriate.  Years ago I spoke to a salesman at B&H about ordering two lenses with the understanding that I'd return one of them and he was hesitant so I dropped the subject.  (I'm not bashing B&H and I've bought equipment from them after talking to them about ordering two lenses at the same time for comparison).  I plan to call a few dealers to talk about options.  My question is how do others compare lenses when they don't have nearby dealers or clubs?

Ray

Isn't it more effective to make a small list of your wishes/need?

For instance, size, weight, max aperture, focal length, etc.

There is no reason whatever to buy a lens for alleged quality comparisons with Leica - all of them are excellent to superb.

Use, need, want and budget will determine your choice.

• Like 4

There is no reason whatever to buy a lens for alleged quality comparisons with Leica - all of them are excellent to superb.

+1

• Like 1

Jeff, thanks for the link.  

I subscribe to Sean Reid's site "ReidReviews" . Sean's reviews are very detailed and include almost all M-mount lenses.  The last two M lenses I've purchased are the result  of his reviews.  You might look at his index and if he has covered the lenses you are interested in take out a one year subscription @ $40.  I find it a small price to avoid making a much more expensive mistake.

Luke, I have a subscription to the site and it has a lot of good information.  

jaapv, I've made my wish list and I know that Leica lenses are outstanding.  I'm just trying to find an inexpensive and fair way to test drive before I buy.  

Thanks to all of you for your advice.  It means a lot to me.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess I have to ask, are you trying to compare two samples of the same lens version, or two different types of lens (i.e. one 28 f/2.8 v.4 against another 28 f/2.8 v.4 - or a 28 f/2.8 against a 28 f/2.0 - or a 28 f/2.8 v.2 vs. a 28 f/2.8 ASPH?)

• Like 1

Jeff, thanks for the link.  

Luke, I have a subscription to the site and it has a lot of good information.  

jaapv, I've made my wish list and I know that Leica lenses are outstanding.  I'm just trying to find an inexpensive and fair way to test drive before I buy.  

Thanks to all of you for your advice.  It means a lot to me.  

Ok. Let us know your list then, so we can give some advice.

• Like 1

Ok. Let us know your list then, so we can give some advice.

Elmarit 24mm, 28 Elmarit, and 28 Summicron.  I have an M240, M3, current version 35mm Summicron, and 50mm Lux ASPH.  I like to carry only two lenses.  I mainly use 50mm.  The 50mm and 35mm combo is good but sometimes I want something wider.  A 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f1.8 combo has worked well for me in the past using an SLR so that is the path I originally started down, especially since the M has 28mm frame lines.  I'd like to use the wider lens on the M3 and learn how to judge framing with the 28mm.  It seems the consensus here is to use an external viewfinder with an M3.  I priced external viewfinders and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices.  So, if I have to get an external viewfinder anyway, the M 28mm frame lines became less of a factor.  Hence I threw the 24mm into consideration since a little wider gives me more flexibility.  

The 28 Summicron would be the closest in speed to f1.8.  The 28 Elmarit, while one stop slower, is compact and that is an important factor.  I've read the sharpness of the Summicron and Elmarit are for practical purposes about the same.  The Elmarit is a good price point but the Summicron might fit into the budget.

The 24mm sounds like a fine lens.  Erwin Puts went so far to say it's a must-have.  I'm skeptical of all reviews but Puts seems stingy with such high recommendations so I figure the lens is worth consideration.  Depending where you look, good condition 24's are between $1,800 and $2,500.  This stretches my budget.  

At this time I'm not interested in anything wider than 24mm, anything faster than f2 or slower than 2.8, nor non-Leica lenses.  This is no knock on non-Leica lenses because I've read some high reviews and comments about them but I believe they would just muddy the waters.  

Going back to my original post, I'd like to narrow my decision to two lenses and then use them side by side over a weekend and then make a final decision.  

Ray

If you do not have a copy already, consider acquiring a copy of the Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition which publishes specifications and MTF performance graphs of all Leica lenses produced up until approx 2011 - some of which are still in production. 

dunk 

• Like 1

I have both the 24 Elmarit-M and 28 Summicron.  They are outstanding and you can't go wrong with either.  I can't speak to the 28 Elmarit-M, but if it is anything like its 24mm sibling I suspect it is very good as well.  

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

There really aren't any bad modern Leica lenses. Pick a focal length that suits, with speed/size your experience suggests, shoot a lot.... and hopefully make prints.

Lensrentals, as already linked, are great folks with a wide selection if you want a trial.

FWIW, I've used 3 lenses for many years with great success (with film and digital Ms, including M8.2, M240 and M10)....28 Summicron ASPH (version before latest update), 35 Summicron ASPH and 50 Summilux ASPH. For me, the M is all about the RF, not using any accessory VF.

Jeff

• Like 2

If you have a 35 then I would go for a 24 mm lens. You can zoom a 35 with your feet to get close to a 28 mm effect. The 24 can give you more of a true wideangle perspective, without being too extreme. 

It is not too difficult to use a 24 without external viewfinder with a bit of practice.

• Like 1

If you do not have a copy already, consider acquiring a copy of the Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition which publishes specifications and MTF performance graphs of all Leica lenses produced up until approx 2011 - some of which are still in production. 

dunk 

Thanks, dunk.  

I have both the 24 Elmarit-M and 28 Summicron.  They are outstanding and you can't go wrong with either.  I can't speak to the 28 Elmarit-M, but if it is anything like its 24mm sibling I suspect it is very good as well.  

Thanks, Luke.  For the 24mm, do you use an external VF?  If so, what model?  

There really aren't any bad modern Leica lenses. Pick a focal length that suits, with speed/size your experience suggests, shoot a lot.... and hopefully make prints.

Lensrentals, as already linked, are great folks with a wide selection if you want a trial.

FWIW, I've used 3 lenses for many years with great success (with film and digital Ms, including M8.2, M240 and M10)....28 Summicron ASPH (version before latest update), 35 Summicron ASPH and 50 Summilux ASPH. For me, the M is all about the RF, not using any accessory VF.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.  

If you have a 35 then I would go for a 24 mm lens. You can zoom a 35 with your feet to get close to a 28 mm effect. The 24 can give you more of a true wideangle perspective, without being too extreme. 

It is not too difficult to use a 24 without external viewfinder with a bit of practice.

Thanks, jaapv.  For the most part on a routine basis, I do not plan to carry both the 24mm and the 35mm.  But I agree you can move backward to get a 28mm effect using a 35mm since the lenses are somewhat close.  

Edited by Raycpa

Raycpa

I use the Leica finder for the 16-21mm Tri-Elmar (AKA Frankenfinder).  It has selectable illuminated frame lines from 16 through 28 mm.  Initially I bought the current metal Leica 24mm finder and, while excellent, it was less than optimum for architectural shooting.  Its etched framelines would wash out in some lighting making composition a challenge.  I will also use the Frankenfinder with the 28 Summicron when I need to bypass the RF blockage from the lens hood.and have an unobstructed view of the subject.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

Often factors that don't appear on the spec sheets make a big difference and will vary in importance from one person to the next.  Does the tripod collar have 90-degree hard stops or soft detents?  Is the hood detachable or built-in?  If manual focus, is the focus pitch to steep or too slow?  Hands-on is best.

• Like 1

Often factors that don't appear on the spec sheets make a big difference and will vary in importance from one person to the next. Does the tripod collar have 90-degree hard stops or soft detents? Is the hood detachable or built-in? If manual focus, is the focus pitch to steep or too slow? Hands-on is best.

Exactly. I rented a 50 APO-M and didn't like the loose aperture ring (apparently not uncommon) or the lack of a fully knurled focus ring, which made fine focusing more difficult than my 50 Summilux. The compact design, a seeming advantage on paper, made it ergonomically more challenging for me. I also had to make prints to determine practical differences, if any, at my typical print sizes, using my workflow methods. People use gear differently.

And sometimes one can't describe what makes one bond with some gear and not others. Like people.

Jeff

• Like 1

I read in another post (from 2015) that the viewfinder on an M9 is about 26mm so this would apply to the M240.  Is this correct?  If so, and I use contacts, I can fairly quickly peak around the full viewfinder and see most of the 24mm's frame.  So the learning curve estimating the full capture of a shot should be relatively short.  Fair statement?

Ray

Edited by Raycpa

• 2 weeks later...

I read in another post (from 2015) that the viewfinder on an M9 is about 26mm so this would apply to the M240.  Is this correct?  If so, and I use contacts, I can fairly quickly peak around the full viewfinder and see most of the 24mm's frame.  So the learning curve estimating the full capture of a shot should be relatively short.  Fair statement?

Ray

Fair statement.