Marks on shutter curtains

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed some marks on the shutter curtains of my M-A and was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar on a film M or had any insight. 

On the front side (viewed through the lens mount), the marks appear as off-color specs. On the rear, corresponding marks occur in the same spots. The two most severe of these seem faintly indented. All the marks on the back (including non-indented areas) feature circular staining on the curtain that almost looks like oil splatter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

These marks are most prominent on the curtain that's in place when the shutter is cocked, but there are some similar, fainter marks on the other curtain as well.

The curtains are still fully light tight and the shutter is functioning fine.

My prime suspect is sun-related damage, though I was aware of the potential for burning curtains and have tried to be cautious. Additionally, I'm not sure if heat damage would cause the discoloring and indentation seen on the back? I don't have enough physics to know if the curtain would bubble outward or inward prior to tearing. 

Anyhow, this is my first cloth shutter camera. Given that, I'm not sure if visible wear on the curtains over time is par for the course and/or if there's anything more to investigate or be concerned about. The body has seen fairly decent use this summer -- about 70 rolls, and 10 since I noticed the marks.

Many thanks, all!

It could well be sun damage, but if all is light-tight, the area is very small and I wouldn't worry about it. It can be heat marks that didn't burn through.

I've used Leica M models for 50 years and have never had such damage, but you learn to subconsciously protect it at all times. I normally carry over my shoulder with the camera at my side and arm over the lens shade, and never turn the lens up.

• Like 1

If all you've noticed are marks on the shutter curtain there is nothing to be concerned about, it's when you have white areas of flare on the negative that you get the rubber paint out. Cloth curtains get all sorts of marks on them long before they need repairing or replacing, they are tough and last a long time.

As regards sun damage, well yes it can happen, and while you find many instances of it when searching camera forums perspective is the key, after all it's camera forums where those people gather to brood. So if you are walking around in the sun with your Leica it is ok to leave the lens cap off and it's only when you sit for a coffee and place your Leica on the table in the strategic 'look, I've got a Leica' position that sun damage can occur.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

I don't think sun damage , if not you have a little hole if burning .

Put a cap on the lens if your camera  is toward the sun light.

In my case I avoid to do that .

No problem on the negative because of light ?  M-A is a good camera.

You can send a picture to Leica CS at Wetzlar to have their advices.

H.

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

My lllf is still on its original cloth shutter (1953 model I think). Pin hole burns from the sun are a risk but only if you leave your camera facing into direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time. I've never thought to protect it when walking around and using the camera 'normally' and have never had problems with any cloth shuttered cameras.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to start poking at it or trying to clean it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...