Should I buy the 60mm tl macro?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Going to NYC tomorrow... and I was going to buy a longer lens as a portrait lens... I was gonna buy a fuji lens (56mm/90mm/50-140mm), but after I read some posts, I think maybe stay in the TL lens system might be a good idea?

And my question is... is the 60mm Macro lens good? Like 3000 dollar good? For that price I could get all of the fuji lens I want, but I really do believe Leica lens has some magic to it, and the new TL2 was a really significant update in AF capability... it's just really hard for me to spend 3000 dollar on this lens... could anyone please give some feedback and some sample images if possible? The only sample image I can found is from Flickr.. and actually I had some time with a used one last month, and the second image was took by the 60 macro tl... the first image is my new TL2!

c4a6c1bf928bde5e12b7119f9bd750e1.jpg

22a4d15ec1b718bd4d1ed300fa0ae17e.jpg

Notice nobody is responding. Only you can decide to buy or not to buy. If the macro is important to you, then I would say get it and if you decide don't like it you can always resale on secondary market or trade. It is a lot to spend for a TL lens, which I think all out there so far bought new are over priced. I have bought on secondary market the two I have for nearly half price and they are fine but ho hum compared to M glass in IQ. Something to consider. But if macro is not the main reason you want it, I would look for used M glass. Just my two cents.

I decided to go for it, 60mm with crop factor equals 90mm which is good for portrait and macro.

The lens draws sharp with lots of detail , and it still shows a very smooth bokeh (fro my first experiences at least). Focus is hunting a bit sometimes.

I try to post some images later.

• Like 1

"it's just really hard for me to spend 3000 dollar on this lens" Then don't buy it. Going broke to buy something you might not like and has a fairly limited purpose... If you are already in the Fuji system, just get their 60mm macro. The output quality will be fine, and it's about $400. I expect we'll be seeing a fast portrait lens for the T soon, or at least I'm hoping. 

• Like 1

Belle 123... M IQ may well be superior to TL IQ, but I wonder if "ho hum" is fair.

Are there not some excellent pix in this forum?

John

Don't take it personally. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No need to start an argument by picking on wording. Doesn't mean the TL lenses are terrible. I am just used to better glass, so 'ho hum' is relative to M glass, and in the context of how expensive this lens is. Of course there are some fine shots up here with TL glass. Edited by Belle123

Hi Steve It is a very good lens for IQ, but auto focus is poor at lower light levels, and what passes as a focus limiter is poorly implemented. I do love mine but it is very overpriced. I can see very little difference in IQ between this and a 90mm M with the macro adapter.

• Like 1

I have one on order.

Please tell me what makes a lens $3000 good? Or $50 good? Or $10,000 good?

Just tried out the lens... I was very disappointed.... probably for a 3000 dollar lens I need it to be reliable in some way... I'm not sure if the Leica Store SOHO in NYC had a bad copy, but the one I tried couldn't focus on anything... after change the af to multi spot AF, it finally focuses, but still misses a lot. Spot af was not working at all. Really disappointed. I believe the copy I tried in BH was a lot better (in performance, the condition of that used 60 macro was terrifying)

If you get the lens could you please tell me the AF performance? I know it would be slower (since it's a macro lens), but at least it has to focus...

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Hi Steve It is a very good lens for IQ, but auto focus is poor at lower light levels, and what passes as a focus limiter is poorly implemented. I do love mine but it is very overpriced. I can see very little difference in IQ between this and a 90mm M with the macro adapter.

Thanks a lot!! I will look into the M lens market from now... thanks!

Thanks a lot!! I will look into the M lens market from now... thanks!

If you are so inclined to manual focus, look at the R 60 2.8 macro lens, which can be purchased pre-owned for somewhere in the $500 range. 

Rob

Just tried out the lens... I was very disappointed.... probably for a 3000 dollar lens I need it to be reliable in some way... I'm not sure if the Leica Store SOHO in NYC had a bad copy, but the one I tried couldn't focus on anything... after change the af to multi spot AF, it finally focuses, but still misses a lot. Spot af was not working at all. Really disappointed. I believe the copy I tried in BH was a lot better (in performance, the condition of that used 60 macro was terrifying)

If you get the lens could you please tell me the AF performance? I know it would be slower (since it's a macro lens), but at least it has to focus...

If you don't trust your own experience and tests, you won't trust mine or anyone else's.

• Like 1

I have been using this lens for a few months now and love the results I get, although I tend to use it more for portraits and environmental pictures than macro work. I use it on an original T body patched to the latest firmware and it focusses well in good light. However in poor light, focussing leaves a lot to be desired and is pretty disappointing. Not sure how well it performs on the TL2. Is it worth the money? to me it is, even with the focus issues, but I could not answer this for anyone else. If you are unsure, my advice would be to visit a dealer and try one out.

• Like 1

sounds like a faulty lens. My sample focuses fine.

L1099846.JPG?dl=0L1099857.JPG?dl=0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

If you don't trust your own experience and tests, you won't trust mine or anyone else's.

Well, if others experience are different, maybe there's something wrong about that lens. I post this thread after I tried them out for two times, and the experience was different. In the BH store, it was fine, but I was in a hurry and couldn't make the decision, and in the Leica store in NYC, my experience was totally different. From others review and my previous experience, I guess it's a bad copy, and I'll head over BH later this week. Even if I have enough time, I won't be able to take it out and shoot in the real world situation. Besides, there's only one review I can get right now, and none of the video talks about this lens in detail. Those are the reasons I want to start a thread. I trust all of you, and I do not know why you think I wouldn't trust you. Just looking for help.

• Like 1

Well, if others experience are different, maybe there's something wrong about that lens. I post this thread after I tried them out for two times, and the experience was different. In the BH store, it was fine, but I was in a hurry and couldn't make the decision, and in the Leica store in NYC, my experience was totally different. From others review and my previous experience, I guess it's a bad copy, and I'll head over BH later this week. Even if I have enough time, I won't be able to take it out and shoot in the real world situation. Besides, there's only one review I can get right now, and none of the video talks about this lens in detail. Those are the reasons I want to start a thread. I trust all of you, and I do not know why you think I wouldn't trust you. Just looking for help.

Since you are new to the TL2, it could be the settings weren't right for the lens just trying it out in the store. I would ask the store to lend you a copy for a day or more so you can really try it out. You have to make your own conclusion and not necessarily rely on people's "opinions" on this forum. Some people have experience and they can be good sources. Some are very bias.

Edited by Belle123
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just picked up the lens, and I am using it on the TL2. I have no experience of the T/TL.

I have posted some shots on the T image thread, all in good light, none of them macro. Focusing was generally fast and accurate, though not up to the speed of the SL. Out of 50+ shots, it hunted a bit on 2-3 which were lowish contrast and lighting.

Indoors at night in artificial light last night it often struggled; again a couple of times indoors this morning, although often it didn't.

There are three elements to AF IMO:

- speed of movement of the focusing group. In good light, and even where contrast is a bit low, the movement is fast, even when hunting, as far as I can tell. In low light it drops to a pedestrian crawl, which I find bizarre. It also seems to be affected by aperture, which surprises me - I assumed it focused wide open.

- ability to find a focus and hunting. Occasionally the lens hunts and, if a starting a long way from true focus, it may get stuck, unable to find a focus. This is rare, though.

- accuracy of focus. Almost always very accurate. Just occasionally, after hunting, it stops close to true focus but obviously still well out, as if it was exhausted and couldn't be bothered to finish it off. Pressing the shutter button again sorted it.

I have highlighted the AF problems with this lens, but I must emphasise that in reasonable light (not exceptionally bright) it focuses quickly and accurately. I don't have experience with other TL lenses to know if this is a lens or a body problem, although SL lenses seem as fast as on the SL body.

I bought this lens mainly for outdoors and macro: it will be fine outdoors, and I'd use MF for macro.

I remain puzzled by the slow focus movement in low light. If it's the same processor as in the SL, surely it can handle the processing needs? Or has it been clocked down to generate less heat in the smaller body?

• Like 2