Sunday morning & two 'Doh' moments

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took delivery of a 90mm Elmarit-R Saturday morning, so that afternoon with it on my R5 I shot a roll of Neopan 400 to test the the new arrival.  Sunday morning bright & early I set about developing the Neopan - except that I was not bright and it was probably too early (or just insufficient coffee).  Put everything required in my large Paterson changing bag & started loading the film onto the reel. Once certain it was loading OK, I opened the canister & extracted the film so that I could continue winding it onto the reel without risk of scratches. At the point I glanced up at saw to my dismay that inexplicably I had not closed the outer zip and it was gaping open - doh #1.  After rapid consideration of options I completed the loading (with minimal disturbance of the bag) and secured the reel in the tank.  

It is not often I use Neopan 400 but I recalled that dev time was nine minutes (Rodinal 1:50).  Once it was at the wash stage I glanced at my chart - and saw I should have used ten minutes.  Doh #2.  Hmm, would a 10% reduction leave me with lack of contrast etc?  Indeed, would there useable negs at all, given the gaping zip? Quite relieved when I pulled the wet film off the reel and saw the negs looked to be OK.  Anyway, there seem to be a full range of tones (a post on the 'I like film' thread).  All's well that ends well...   :)

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Took delivery of a 90mm Elmarit-R Saturday morning, so that afternoon with it on my R5 I shot a roll of Neopan 400 to test the the new arrival.  Sunday morning bright & early I set about developing the Neopan - except that I was not bright and it was probably too early (or just insufficient coffee).  Put everything required in my large Paterson changing bag & started loading the film onto the reel. Once certain it was loading OK, I opened the canister & extracted the film so that I could continue winding it onto the reel without risk of scratches. At the point I glanced up at saw to my dismay that inexplicably I had not closed the outer zip and it was gaping open - doh #1.  After rapid consideration of options I completed the loading (with minimal disturbance of the bag) and secured the reel in the tank.  

It is not often I use Neopan 400 but I recalled that dev time was nine minutes (Rodinal 1:50).  Once it was at the wash stage I glanced at my chart - and saw I should have used ten minutes.  Doh #2.  Hmm, would a 10% reduction leave me with lack of contrast etc?  Indeed, would there useable negs at all, given the gaping zip? Quite relieved when I pulled the wet film off the reel and saw the negs looked to be OK.  Anyway, there seem to be a full range of tones (a post on the 'I like film' thread).  All's well that ends well...   :)

That film does not need more development.  Change you time permanently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...