Keith (M)

Sunday morning & two 'Doh' moments

Took delivery of a 90mm Elmarit-R Saturday morning, so that afternoon with it on my R5 I shot a roll of Neopan 400 to test the the new arrival.  Sunday morning bright & early I set about developing the Neopan - except that I was not bright and it was probably too early (or just insufficient coffee).  Put everything required in my large Paterson changing bag & started loading the film onto the reel. Once certain it was loading OK, I opened the canister & extracted the film so that I could continue winding it onto the reel without risk of scratches. At the point I glanced up at saw to my dismay that inexplicably I had not closed the outer zip and it was gaping open - doh #1.  After rapid consideration of options I completed the loading (with minimal disturbance of the bag) and secured the reel in the tank.  

It is not often I use Neopan 400 but I recalled that dev time was nine minutes (Rodinal 1:50).  Once it was at the wash stage I glanced at my chart - and saw I should have used ten minutes.  Doh #2.  Hmm, would a 10% reduction leave me with lack of contrast etc?  Indeed, would there useable negs at all, given the gaping zip? Quite relieved when I pulled the wet film off the reel and saw the negs looked to be OK.  Anyway, there seem to be a full range of tones (a post on the 'I like film' thread).  All's well that ends well...  

Edited by Keith (M)

I think you lucked out with the changing bag. And in my experience a 10% difference in developing time would not be fatal - just a little softness that could be managed in printing.

Took delivery of a 90mm Elmarit-R Saturday morning, so that afternoon with it on my R5 I shot a roll of Neopan 400 to test the the new arrival.  Sunday morning bright & early I set about developing the Neopan - except that I was not bright and it was probably too early (or just insufficient coffee).  Put everything required in my large Paterson changing bag & started loading the film onto the reel. Once certain it was loading OK, I opened the canister & extracted the film so that I could continue winding it onto the reel without risk of scratches. At the point I glanced up at saw to my dismay that inexplicably I had not closed the outer zip and it was gaping open - doh #1.  After rapid consideration of options I completed the loading (with minimal disturbance of the bag) and secured the reel in the tank.  

It is not often I use Neopan 400 but I recalled that dev time was nine minutes (Rodinal 1:50).  Once it was at the wash stage I glanced at my chart - and saw I should have used ten minutes.  Doh #2.  Hmm, would a 10% reduction leave me with lack of contrast etc?  Indeed, would there useable negs at all, given the gaping zip? Quite relieved when I pulled the wet film off the reel and saw the negs looked to be OK.  Anyway, there seem to be a full range of tones (a post on the 'I like film' thread).  All's well that ends well...  

That film does not need more development.  Change you time permanently

I once loaded up my developing tank with a film I'd shot in Venice. I lifted the tank by its lid in order too transport it to the bathroom for processing. Unfortunately, the rest of the tank was left behind. I was not so lucky. I don't pick up my tank by its lid anymore.

Pete

Presumably not a Patterson tank, then?  (Unless it is an extremely old one with a screw-on top).

I have one of those, it only gets used if I'm batch processing films and I really HAVE to have all three tanks going, it's just a pain!

No, a stainless steel tank with a slip-on lid.

Pete

I had so many stainless tanks that I lost track of which tops fit which tanks properly. Some too tight, some too loose. Did you happen to mix up some lids?