The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

35mm Sumicron or buy Fuji X100F for travel/lightweight

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kaiserphoenix

kaiserphoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 18:51

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Hi guys, facing a dilemma.

Currently I shoot with a M262 + 50mm LUX. Love the 50mm, particularly for portraits, and the bokeh and isolation of the subject. 

However it is fairly heavy and also quite precious in those "rougher" situations. So now looking for a 35mm for a slightly wider angle (never tried 35mm) and flexibility for travel etc.

Choices are:

Summarit 2.4 35mm, Summicron 35 2.0, or get something like a Fuji X100F for knocking about. 

Thank you

Leica M Typ 262, Summilux 50/1.4 asph, Leica Q

#2 UliWer

UliWer

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 19:09

If you like the Fuji, just don't hesitate. Otherwise the Summarit would be the better choice.
  • kwsmith45 said thank you to this

#3 Frase

Frase

Benutzer

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 21:03

Summicron and some insurance.

• ibramr said thank you to this

#4 Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe.

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationCanada, ON.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 21:35

Summarit-M 35 2.5 it is also ASPH and seems to be less bulky. Color Skopar 35 2.5 is even smaller.

If you are going to travel without Leica for any reason, then something like Fuji  makes sense. In my case I don't have to and really small P&S makes more sense in addition to Leica, plus mobile phone. iPhone does good HDR and panoramas.

#5 kaiserphoenix

kaiserphoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 23:48

Thank you everyone, I think I will try a Summarit. 

#6 enboe

enboe

Accumulator of Leica Stuff

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 00:42

May I make a last minute vote for the 28/2.8/asph/v1? The extra angle difference vs a 50 will serve you well.

Enjoy the 262, maybe buy a case if you're really worried Bout the surroundings. I use the Leica ever-ready when in crowds for just that purpose,

Eric

#7 kaiserphoenix

kaiserphoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:18

May I make a last minute vote for the 28/2.8/asph/v1? The extra angle difference vs a 50 will serve you well.

Enjoy the 262, maybe buy a case if you're really worried Bout the surroundings. I use the Leica ever-ready when in crowds for just that purpose,

Eric

True, I'm not that worried when I'm taking it, but more when the camera is in a carry on etc. Thinking of getting that Leica Neoprene or leather case just for protection during transit. 

And thank you for the 28 suggestion, Ill need to research! Thank you

Edited by kaiserphoenix, 14 August 2017 - 09:19.

#8 adli

adli

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationOslo
  • City / Ort:Oslo

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:58

Find a second hand 35 cron V4. Nice size and not expensive. The camera house will still expensive though, but I have never had any trouble traveling with a Leica M with one lens in any areas.

Arne Adli
www.arneadli.com

All you will ever need is a 35 and a 90

#9 Alex U.

Alex U.

Neuer Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 15:33

True, I'm not that worried when I'm taking it, but more when the camera is in a carry on etc. Thinking of getting that Leica Neoprene or leather case just for protection during transit. 

And thank you for the 28 suggestion, Ill need to research! Thank you

When evaluating the 28mm then you can consider the Q :-)))))

Nevertheless the 28mm Summicron is a wonderful small and light lens. I myself went for 28mm. You can always crop a bit if needed. But I crop very rarely. 

Cheers, Alex
Besten Gruss, Alex

#10 kaiserphoenix

kaiserphoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 15:35

When evaluating the 28mm then you can consider the Q :-)))))

Nevertheless the 28mm Summicron is a wonderful small and light lens. I myself went for 28mm. You can always crop a bit if needed. But I crop very rarely.

Yeah i had a Q used for 1 year and sold it was a great camera but soon got bored!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 IWC Doppel

IWC Doppel

CCD Fan

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • City / Ort:Bath

Posted 14 August 2017 - 15:45

Any Leica 35mm and don't buy another camera would be my advice. I bought a Fuji x100S and sold it 6m later when it was gathering dust, a great camera but its like leaving your favourite pair of shows behind on a wonderful walk if you go without your Leica

#12 Jobea

Jobea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 14:17

I have a xpro 2 in the shelf that I haven't touch for the same period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 Gregm61

Gregm61

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 15 August 2017 - 16:34

Make it a second on the not buying a second camera.

I have a 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH and never have been all that enamored with the performance at wider apertures. Bought a Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron Aspherical VM after reading a few reviews and have been pleasantly surprised at how excellent that lens is. Incredible actually. My three lens kit is now easily the 35 Ultron, Leica 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar and 75mm f2 Summicron.

#14 jaapv

jaapv

• Moderators
  • 48,212 posts
  • LocationBehind a Red Dot
  • City / Ort:Hellevoetsluis

Posted 16 August 2017 - 00:49

I’m missing the Biogon-C 35 here.

Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Leica user since 1976

I like taking pictures of Dogs because they don't object to being photographed - and they don't ask for prints.

Elliot Erwitt

#15 ShivaYash

ShivaYash

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 769 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:02

I have the x100. It’s perfect. Almost like shooting film, given it’s slow speed ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShivaYash
Stoke Newington, London

#16 g2van

g2van

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 17:12

Looks like your instinct on a 35mm is the way to go for you. From 50 to 35 is drastic enough so perhaps not 28mm just yet.

I love my 35 cron version 3. It's lighter than current ASPH (172g vs 255g), it's the best value* (the overlooked cousin) and it has the right balance of the "slightly less contrasty perfect modern look" at f2 while still sharp enough and just about as good at f4 onwards. Plus it has the coolest hood (12585 or 12504).

But if you want even more versatility -- and even more classic look while keeping the size and weight, then it's the 35 Summilux pre-asph. Very classic "Leica glow" at f1.4 while still sharp, then sharper with almost no glow at f2, and more modern sharpness at f2.8 onwards.

If you just want a consistently modern look at all apertures like your 50lux, then the ASPH is the way to go.

* v1 8 elements is collector's price, v4 is highly sought after with price to match

#17 rocky dennis

rocky dennis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 21:45

I just returned from a trip to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan with my Fuji x100. It's the perfect travel camera for me for outdoor activity, small and portable enough to take anywhere. I was able to do things like climb sand dunes, wade into rivers and lakes with the x100 that I wouldn't have done if I had my M10. It's liberating having a camera that you're not worried about damaging on such excursions. If your travel is limited to walking around Paris or the like, then a Leica M with a 35 cron would probably be just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic