Battery Power Management

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leving for a European vacation this week and will be taking only the Leica Q.  One thing I have never understood is power management.  I seem to always turn the camera on for a shot and then off, knowing that I will be taking additional shots in the next couple of minutes. I know of others who do this too.  This time, I intend on letting the camera shut itself down after a minute, and not engaging the on/off switch.  I am looking for feedback if this is the best way to conserve a battery.  Currently, I use the view finder only when taking a picture, and then have the picture show up on the LCD for a three second confirmation.  Thanks.

I agree with 'lifeinphotos' I shoot exclusively with the EVF and with the LCD off. I leave the camera on and have it set to go to sleep after 1 minute, I have never missed a shot because it was waking up...

On a long day I take but never use my 2nd battery. After every day of shooting I change batteries (thereby ensuring I always start the day with 2 fresh fully charged batteries and also giving both equal ware). My 2nd battery is the Panasonic version.

• Like 1

I agree with the above said:

second battery should be at hand. I myself do very often use the liveview Screen and still the battery lasts very long, most of the time I don't need the second battery. But there is an exception of cold temperatures. In those cases one has top keep changing while keeping the ofther battery warm.

In case you use the Q as the only camera you will Need a second battery and if you do not want to get up during night time and watch the charging progress it is advisable to travel with a second charger. You may consider this then.....

• Like 1

Definitely take a spare battery. I was in Egypt recently. Finally reached the great Pyramids at Giza. Got the shots and moved on to the Sphinx, and that's when my only battery died. Panasonic Batteries for the Q are inexpensive unlike the £135 for a spare M240.