Older M.T thumbs-up with M10

DandA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Although maybe not as ideal as the current Leica tumb support or Match Technicals M10 thumbs up...I was wondering has amyone tried fitting the current most recent M9 Match Technical thumbs up such as the CSEP1 or CSEP1s in the M10 hot shoe. If you have one and can try it in your M10 hot shoe, this would be greatly appreciated (especially a photo).

One of the reasons I ask is not only becuase I have the M9 thumbs up mentioned, but the model probides a cold shoe while in use to accommodate a viewfinder. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Hi All,

Although maybe not as ideal as the current Leica tumb support or Match Technicals M10 thumbs up...I was wondering has amyone tried fitting the current most recent M9 Match Technical thumbs up such as the CSEP1 or CSEP1s in the M10 hot shoe. If you have one and can try it in your M10 hot shoe, this would be greatly appreciated (especially a photo).

One of the reasons I ask is not only becuase I have the M9 thumbs up mentioned, but the model probides a cold shoe while in use to accommodate a viewfinder. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Dave, 

I've just tried a TU EP-3S and it does not fit the M10.

Maybe the shorter length version EP-1S would , I don't have one with me right now to test.

BTW the Match Technical thumbs up M10 version is perfect for left eye shooters, the original M10 Leica thumbs up has a sharp edge which was bothering me as it was hurting the forehead.

Best, JM

Edited by JMF

Hi JM,

Tha ks wver so much for your info. The thumbs up you tried as indicated is thr longest one they make, so I auspect that it hit the resr protrusion/wheel of the M10.

I'm hoping someone has the more generally used shorter M9 thumbs up which is 15mm shorter and can comment how it works on an M10.

Thats very informative news about the Match technical M10 thumbs up having an advantage over the Leica users for left eye shooters. Although I am right handed I focus with my lwft eye so the Leica one poking would bother mw too.

I wish Match technical would make an optional M10 thumbs up that had a cold shoe for a extrenal viewfinder and thus why I want to see if anyone can try their M9 thumbs up on the M10 as I have a M9 thumbs up with a cold shoe. Again I appreciate all the useful info.

Regards,

Dave (D&A)

Normall I would agree with thge original Match Technical thumbs up for the M9, but later on they came out with a shorter thumbs up which was the CSEP-1...and thats the one I would like to know how it fits an M10.

Dave (D&A)

Dave, 

you could ask Tim - the maker of the thumbs up  - directly : Match Technical Services <timisaac@matchtechnical.com>

Best, JM

Normall I would agree with thge original Match Technical thumbs up for the M9, but later on they came out with a shorter thumbs up which was the CSEP-1...and thats the one I would like to know how it fits an M10.

Dave (D&A)

The CSEP-1 is no longer made so you'd have to find a used one. The CSEP-2 is made for the X-1 and may work. Keep in mind all the hot shoes are the same dimensions so they should fit.

The Thumbie may be your answer. Doesn't use the hot shoe at all.

Appreciate your reply but I do have a number of CSEP-1 thumbs up for the M9 and thats why I would like to know how they fit the M10. The thumbie is nice but I prefer the thumbs up so hoping someone who has a CSEP and a M10 can try out that combo.

Dave (D&A)

Hi All,

I have a favor to ask. Sinxe no M10 owner seems to have thr M9 CSEP thumbs up, can someone with an M10 measure the distance carefully, from the middle of the hot shoe in the back of the hot shoe (in line with the thumb rest) to the very beginning of the thumb rest on the back of thr body...just where the thumb rest starts to protrude outward from the body. The results in both inches and mm would be very helpful. This answer might give me some indication if the M9 CSEP thumbs up would sit flat on an M10 body and not interfere with the M10 thumb rest. Thanks ever so much.

Dave (D&A)

I really like and appreciate Tim Issac's / Match Technical's innovative products and have had a few of them during my M8 through to M10 ownerships, but the Thumbie won me over when I started to use the EVF more on the M240 and needed the hot-shoe freed up for that.

With the M10 and the better Visoflex 020 the same criteria applies. So now all my M's have Thumbies and I like the way they enhance the handling and at the same time leave the hot shoe usable for other purposes, and I guess for left eye shooters the nose poke isn't as painful.

Again I appreciate all the replies from everyone but still hoping that someone can either do one of two things...

1. Measure the distance from approx the middle of the hot shoe looking at the rear of the M20 to just where the protrusion begins for the thumb rest. This way I can determine (measure) whether the M9 thumbs up I have (CSEP1) has a possibility of fitting on a M10..OR

2. If you have a CSEP1 and a M10, to simply try out the fit.

I have not heard back from Match Technical. Thanks.

Dave

Regardless how one feels about thimbs up

..I hope someone can read my post and two questions that is 2 posts above this one. I have my reasons why I need a thumbs up with a cold shoe to fit onto an M10.

Can someone with a M10 make the simple measurement I reauested in two posts above?

Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

The measurement from the centre of the hot shoe to the protrusion is approx. 40mm.   The protrusion starts very gently so there is a bit of judgement.  I used the thumbs up from my M9 for a while until they came out with the version for the M10 without the hump on top.  The M10 version fits tighter but that might just be the years of wear on my M9 Thumbs Up.  I have included a picture of both on the M10.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

AandW,

I cannot thank you enough for doing this.  As they say a picture is worth a thousand words!  Apparently the CSEP-1 thumbs up for the M9 should word nicely assuming its a tight enough fit. The model I have is the CSEP-1S with a cold shoe where the thumbs up can be locked down through the use of a hex screw, so it should be tight and steady.  Again the reason I wanted to know if my CSEP-1s would work is it has that  cold shoe built in for those times when I simply want to side a small optical finder (like a 21mm finder) into shoe without 1st having to remove the thumbs up grip.  As far as I am aware of, Tim the creator and manufacturer Thumbs Up has not made a M10 thumbs up with a cold shoe.  I assume operation of the thumb wheels was about the same in reach and feel when using either your M10 or M9 thumbs up? 

Again many thanks AandW!

Regards,

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA