ON1 Software

leica dream

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a casual amateur I use PS CS5 or elements to manage my images. I have been offered a course based on ON1.

I have looked at that on the internet but it looks to me to offer pretty much the same as PS.

Does anyone have any experience with ON1 - or views?

Richard

One doesn't need what one is not aware of... ;)I would have called it nonsense before, but nowadays content-aware technology is an essential part of my workflow, for instance for cropping outside the frame to improve composition, and fast and easy spotting and object removal. And quite a bit more.

One doesn't need what one is not aware of... ;)I would have called it nonsense before, but nowadays content-aware technology is an essential part of my workflow, for instance for cropping outside the frame to improve composition, and fast and easy spotting and object removal. And quite a bit more.

IOW, the ability to make fake photos.

Indeed. I do not believe that a photograph represents the real world. It represents the vision of the photographer. All photographs are fake.

Only reproductions. journalistic reportage, documentary wildlife, etc.(i.o.w. photography which pretends to show reality), may not be manipulated. -Not that that makes them really objective-. For the rest, freedom reigns in my book.

• Like 2

Indeed i don't even know the meaning of "content-aware technology". Now those manipulations don't interest me i must say. If my composition was poor i just forget it but it's just me.

• Like 1

IOW, the ability to make fake photos.

Yes.

All photos are fake (manipulated).

The moment you compose through a VF, you are editing.

The moment you trip the shutter, you have manipulated.

All good stuff. :p

• Like 4

Indeed i don't even know the meaning of "content-aware technology". Now those manipulations don't interest me i must say. If my composition was poor i just forget it but it's just me.

For instance, you have positioned your subject wrongly in a way that you cannot correct by normal cropping. With content-aware technology you can crop outside the image and Photoshop will fill the missing background with an indistinguishable extension.

Or there is a perspective problem in your image. With content-aware technology, you can reposition certain elements without the repair being visible. Is it perfect? - no, not always, with highly specific backgrounds, but it is pretty amazing in 95% of the cases and saves hours of masking and cloning with far better results.

It is meant to make photographs that you don't want to forget good ones and to make good photographs perfect.

BTW, the face-correcting feature in the newest Photoshop is a blessing for portraits with perspective distortion, and even if you happen to have caught a wrong expression or grimace.

Yes.

All photos are fake (manipulated).

The moment you compose through a VF, you are editing.

The moment you trip the shutter, you have manipulated.

All good stuff. :p

And if you set the mood by exposure, or dodge and burn for emphasis, or choose a wide aperture to get rid of a background, or use motion blur, a gradient filter to emphasize a sky, a wide-angle lens to get a prominent foreground, a telelens to compress perspective, a long shutter time to remove people from an architectural shot or freeze water, etc...

Painters have known for a long time that an image is more realistic when you edit reality. ;) -Or simply better-

• Like 1

BTW, the face-correcting feature in the newest Photoshop is a blessing for portraits with perspective distortion, and even if you happen to have caught a wrong expression or grimace.

Jaap - is it ok if I quote this sentence in the "I like film" thread, as yet another reason not to use digital :D

Jaap - is it ok if I quote this sentence in the "I like film" thread, as yet another reason not to use digital :D

I can't wait to see some of the reactions 'over there'!

What a hoot.

I'm already guessing who will say what. :rolleyes: