TL2 - Firmware Suggestions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Based on a post in the image thread, with a comment from LocalHero1953, may I suggest that the TL2's video button can be programable to, for instance, focus enlargement. 

Reason: With manual lenses, the right wheel controls the shutter speed. Fine. The left wheel can, for instance, be set to focus enlargement. But in this case you miss instant control of exposure, so you have to rely on the implemented auto-ISO, possibly adjusted by exposure compensation. This can be fine, but I don't like to blindly rely on the camera when it comes to exposure. If you put exposure correction on the left wheel, you can nail the exposure, but you miss instant access to focus enlargement.

A preferred option, particularly when TL2 is used with manual lenses, would be set exposure compensation on the left wheel, shutter speed on the right wheel, and that the video button could activate focus enlargement. In this way, exposure and focus can be set instantly, without removing the eye from the screen/EVF.

A reprogrammable video button can also be useful when using native TL-or SL-lenses, adding one parameter for instant access and use.

Please, Leica...!

• Like 1

One thing I'm a little bit angry about (because it's a flaw which absolutely shouldn't be in a camera from a company which knows a thing or two about the cameras :) ) is TL's black screen when using flash! (I think SL had the same flaw but they corrected it?)

When you i.e. set f/8, 1/160s and ISO 100 in a studio / interior / whatever, you're unable to see a thing - the LCD is pure black and only lights up for 0.5 second it takes to focus. It's because the LCD shows the actual exposure which is great without added lights, but if you use them - you have to shoot with a pure black LCD.

TL2 is literally useless if your main light is flash

• Like 1

There are many reasonable suggestions above. These have all been mentioned already. For me:

- Accurate exposure preview

- Some way to prefocus when using AF (so that the shutter button doesn't force refocus)

- Bulb exposure/long shutter speed support

My TL2 sits somewhere between my M240 and smartphone for casual carry-around photography. I would really like a better way to transfer a few images from the camera to my phone for uploading to social media while out and about. This means not only a redesigned app (as I commented earlier) but an easier wifi connection. At present, each time I switch on wifi and try to connect my phone, I have to enter a different 6-digit PIN.

We need a permanent memorised connection (like bluetooth pairing) so all I have to do after switching on wifi is tell my phone to connect to the TL2 and it's done. I don't have to manually log in to my home wifi network each time, so why should I have to do the same with the TL2?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Accurate Exposure Preview is a must. Exposure is the most fundamental thing in photography. If we don't get this feature, I'm going to sell the camera.

I heard they closed down the aperture to improve focusing and it opens up when the shot is taken. Not sure if this is true. If that is the case, how can we hope that the histogram/metering at the bottom left of the screen is accurate since the metering occurs through a stopped down lens?

Edited by rchrd
  • Like 2

Accurate Exposure Preview is a must. Exposure is the most fundamental thing in photography. If we don't get this feature, I'm going to sell the camera.

I heard they closed down the aperture to improve focusing and it opens up when the shot is taken. Not sure if this is true. If that is the case, how can we hope that the histogram/metering at the bottom left of the screen is accurate since the metering occurs through a stopped down lens?

The live histogram is accurate in manual mode. In every other mode it is basically complete nonsense. The live histogram is of the preview you are seeing on the back of the screen, which in modes other than manual is only good for framing - as exposure could be substantially different to the preview.

You can easily confirm this by shooting e.g. in P mode with image review turned on. As soon as you take the shot, the histogram and image displayed will change to match the actual exposure. It's particularly pronounced when you are shooting a fairly bright object in a dark room.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The live histogram is accurate in manual mode. In every other mode it is basically complete nonsense. The live histogram is of the preview you are seeing on the back of the screen, which in modes other than manual is only good for framing - as exposure could be substantially different to the preview.

You can easily confirm this by shooting e.g. in P mode with image review turned on. As soon as you take the shot, the histogram and image displayed will change to match the actual exposure. It's particularly pronounced when you are shooting a fairly bright object in a dark room.

Yes, accurate and trustworthy live view histogram and preview are essential parts a well-working photo-system. Accurate focus is another key aspect.

Let's hope that code - or philosophy - can be transferred from the excellent SL, where exposure and focus can easily, quickly and accurately be set and altered by the user. So count me in on one of those hoping and waiting and looking for a FW update...

I still have not yet fully understand on what the brightness of the EVF/display is based.

At least the histogramm should show the exposure, so I hope this will be part of the next firmware update 

#10 The TL2 should be able to detect when a stabilised lens (i.e. one of the SL zooms) is attached and set OIS to ON by default. At the very least it should stay on the previous setting until changed. At the moment, it reverts to OFF when you switch off the camera, even if you leave the zoom attached. I'd call this a bug, not a deliberate behaviour.

#11 The OIS On/Off setting should be in the Focus menu group, not the Still Image menu group (the General group is an option, but not the best, IMO). That makes intuitive sense to me. It took me a long time to find it, even second time round (my short term memory is terrible).

I realised yesterday that OIS switches off even when the camera goes to sleep, not just when switched off. And you cannot set OIS=ON and save it in a profile either. When you load the profile OIS=OFF. :( . I lost a number of shots as a result of not noticing this.

This must be a bug.

• Like 1