TL2 - Firmware Suggestions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a thread meant to collect firmware suggestions for the Leica TL2. I suggest to keep the thread clean from general discussions about the TL2 but to focus only on firmware wishes/suggestions/bugs.

I start with 2 suggestions:

#1: AF focus issue: AF still focuses sometimes on the background instead of focusing on the subject (where I see the focus square/point marking) when using singlepoint/spot focus. It seems to happen mainly if the background is more contrasty than the subject. It happenns far too often IMO.

#2: please offer a menu for EVF/Display settings. Today it is only possible to choose between EVF and display when using the function-button, and the setting is lost when the camera is switched off. I speciall would like a mode to use EVF for framing/live view and the display for image review and menu setting. This is possible with the M and SL camera, why not for the TL2.

Regards, Tom

• Like 2

#3 Include focus peaking in focus aids for manual lenses. At present only focus magnification can be triggered. I don't use focus peaking much, but I can't see why it has been excluded.

#4 Allow adjustment of focus peaking colour & sensitivity, like the SL.

#5 Allow focus range constraints in AF e.g for macro or close up. The manual envisages that this should be possible.

#6 Silent shutter throughout the speed range, same as the SL. This is probably my no. 1 request.

• Like 3

#3 Include focus peaking in focus aids for manual lenses. At present only focus magnification can be triggered. I don't use focus peaking much, but I can't see why it has been excluded.

#4 Allow adjustment of focus peaking colour & sensitivity, like the SL.

#5 Allow focus range constraints in AF e.g for macro or close up. The manual envisages that this should be possible.

#6 Silent shutter throughout the speed range, same as the SL. This is probably my no. 1 request.

#5 is possible. But I find there seems to be a gap between how close the normal range can focus and the furthest limit of the limited range. Hope that makes sense.

Where do you see that setting? Is it only with the 60mm macro lens?

Under Focus mode there are five options for the macro lens, the last two allow very close focus, the options under focus mode seem to change with each lens, the 55-135 has a limit option as well, 11-23 doesn't. Cant check the 18-56 as I dropped it on the beach last week and its gone back to Leica to have some sand removed.

• Like 1

Under Focus mode there are five options for the macro lens, the last two allow very close focus, the options under focus mode seem to change with each lens, the 55-135 has a limit option as well, 11-23 doesn't. Cant check the 18-56 as I dropped it on the beach last week and its gone back to Leica to have some sand removed.

would be good if we can see the distance limits for those options. For my part I am not sure what the limit exactly does.

#8: Please Leica Include option to show constant exposure preview with the TL2 in the viewfinder/display.

today it is strange behaviour: no exp preview when looking through EVF, then during focusing it seems to become birght for a second or so, and then it goes back to normal brightness/no exp preview

today it is strange behaviour: no exp preview when looking through EVF, then during focusing it seems to become birght for a second or so, and then it goes back to normal brightness/no exp preview

I've noticed odd behaviour of the EVF changing brightness (usually darkening) briefly on the half press with AF before the brightness stabilises at a sensible level. I have put it down to the aperture opening for focussing then closing down again, but I admit I haven't checked it out properly.

On a purely empirical basis (otherwise known as 'press the button and see what happens'), I find I get useful guidance about exposure from the EVF brightness, combined if necessary with the histogram. I get few incorrect exposures (after exposure compensation has been dialled in) and I can normally see what's going on in the display. If it's like the SL, then I'm sure it gets more complicated in very bright or dim light, and I haven't even thought about trying a flash with it yet.

#9  When assigning focus magnification to the left wheel, it is a one way only turning option, and I always start off by turning it the wrong way, so it has no effect. It should be a continuous loop between the three options, so when you're in a hurry it wouldn't matter which way you turn it.

• Like 1

#10 The TL2 should be able to detect when a stabilised lens (i.e. one of the SL zooms) is attached and set OIS to ON by default. At the very least it should stay on the previous setting until changed. At the moment, it reverts to OFF when you switch off the camera, even if you leave the zoom attached. I'd call this a bug, not a deliberate behaviour.

#11 The OIS On/Off setting should be in the Focus menu group, not the Still Image menu group (the General group is an option, but not the best, IMO). That makes intuitive sense to me. It took me a long time to find it, even second time round (my short term memory is terrible).

Edited by LocalHero1953

#10 The TL2 should be able to detect when a stabilised lens (i.e. one of the SL zooms) is attached and set OIS to ON by default. At the very least it should stay on the previous setting until changed. At the moment, it reverts to OFF when you switch off the camera, even if you leave the zoom attached. I'd call this a bug, not a deliberate behaviour.

+1

• Like 1

#12 Full manual exposure settings for video without automatic EV compensation.

#13 Touch AEL in photo mode (Lock the automatic EV metering with a "button" on a touch screen)

#14 Focus assistance when AF manual override

#15 Customizable right dial

#16 Customizable button next to the expo button has AF-ON function and disable the AF function of the main expo button

#17 B-time

#18 T-time

#19 Option to use internal memory as an automatic backup of the SD card after every shot taken

#20 View option the exposure settings information bar not cover the image when halfpress the expo button for AF locking

#21 Stable and working Wi-Fi image download to mobile app. Now this function is very unstable with my iPad and with my iPhone.

#22 Preview and download DNG files via mobile app

• Like 1

I have reason to hope they will see the list.

I think we should not list every possible function which is found in a professional DSLR, but make suggestions which are usefull for the TL-concept (which IMO has the goal to offer a simple user interface and the goal to not overload the menues with all kinds of options).

I assume if we list few but good suggestions (which are usefull for many users) we have a better chance that they might be  considered/ influence the next firmware.

• Like 1

I agree with Szabokristof's suggestions about wifi and the app. I think the T-concept, which includes an appeal to a smartphone and connected audience ought to have a much more stable TL app with more relevant functionality than we have at the moment. There should be a seamless way of transferring images to FB, instagram etc, and to dropbox etc. At the moment it is too much of an app for taking single shots remotely, which is more useful for a camera your likely to put on a tripod, like the M and SL. 

• Like 1

#2 revisited: the Fn button needs to be rethought. Not only is it the only way to switch between the EVF and the monitor, but it is also the only way to start a video (the alternative would be to assign video recording to one of the short cut screen icons). And if you are using Touch To Focus, then it is also the only way to Play images, because Swipe Down occasionally gets mixed up with Touch To Focus - it is too easy to do one when you mean the other. In short, any of the functions assignable to the Fn button should have a menu alternative.

Edit: Here's a bright idea: allow a long press on the Fn button to toggle between Fn actions. No more diving into the menu.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I've noticed odd behaviour of the EVF changing brightness (usually darkening) briefly on the half press with AF before the brightness stabilises at a sensible level. I have put it down to the aperture opening for focussing then closing down again, but I admit I haven't checked it out properly.

On a purely empirical basis (otherwise known as 'press the button and see what happens'), I find I get useful guidance about exposure from the EVF brightness, combined if necessary with the histogram. I get few incorrect exposures (after exposure compensation has been dialled in) and I can normally see what's going on in the display. If it's like the SL, then I'm sure it gets more complicated in very bright or dim light, and I haven't even thought about trying a flash with it yet.

Yes, it also looks that the DOF changes in that moment of half pressing the release buttoan, at least when doing manual focus with focus peaking. Strange and confusing behaviour. LEICA - PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE!