TL2 anomalies: AFc not working

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am starting this as a separate topic for clarity (and in case anyone from Leica is watching). I have already commented on it in the AF tracking thread.

As far as I can see, AFc does not work at all. Set to AFc, it behaves exactly like AFs i.e. focuses and locks on the half press.

I only have one TL lens, the 23, but I also checked with the 24-90SL which behaves the same on the TL2, suggesting this is a body or f/w issue.

Does anyone else see AFc working?

The manual seems to be 'a work in progress'. There are plenty of errors: focussing menu functions are referred to the Still Image group. There is also apparent reference to focus tracking, and setting limits on the AF range, neither of which appear to be implemented (yet).

I am starting this as a separate topic for clarity (and in case anyone from Leica is watching). I have already commented on it in the AF tracking thread.

As far as I can see, AFc does not work at all. Set to AFc, it behaves exactly like AFs i.e. focuses and locks on the half press.

I only have one TL lens, the 23, but I also checked with the 24-90SL which behaves the same on the TL2, suggesting this is a body or f/w issue.

Does anyone else see AFc working?

The manual seems to be 'a work in progress'. There are plenty of errors: focussing menu functions are referred to the Still Image group. There is also apparent reference to focus tracking, and setting limits on the AF range, neither of which appear to be implemented (yet).

As I explained in the other thread, the AFc means that the camera focuses while you are not pressing the shutter button, i.e. a kind of pre-focusing. As soon as you half-press it, it stops focusing. Try it and you will see that it focuses while the button is not pressed. And that is why I was asking about tracking....

This is what the manual says (observe the word permanently...)

By contrast, the AFc mode should be used if you want to photograph moving subjects. Here, you also focus on the desired area using the first pressure point of the shutter button. While it is being held down to the first pressure point, the camera permanently focuses on the previously focussed area.

I think the original T had exactly the same AFc setup....

In contrast the SL works differently. This is what the manual says for the SL, observe the different wording

AFc (continuous)/Shutter release priority
– Focusing continues as long as the shutter button is kept pressedi.e. during this time, the setting is adjusted whenever the metering system detects other objects at other distances, or the distance from the camera to the part of the subject you are aiming at changes

Well, I have both cameras in front of me. I have never had the T, so can't answer for how it behaves.

I think you are misreading the TL2 manual. My reading of 'permanently' is that it doesn't move the focus area ('permanently' fixed), but continually adjusts focussing distance to whatever that focus point covers. I can't say how AFc should work, because my camera takes no action when the release is not pressed, and focuses and locks like AFs when half pressed.

My SL in AFc mode continually adjusts the focus distance as long as I keep the shutter half pressed.

I don't want to get into an argument about the meaning of the manual in this thread; I just want to sort out whether AFc not working is a general problem or just with my camera.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Well, I have both cameras in front of me. I have never had the T, so can't answer for how it behaves.

I think you are misreading the TL2 manual. My reading of 'permanently' is that it doesn't move the focus area ('permanently' fixed), but continually adjusts focussing distance to whatever that focus point covers. I can't say how AFc should work, because my camera takes no action when the release is not pressed, and focuses and locks like AFs when half pressed.

My SL in AFc mode continually adjusts the focus distance as long as I keep the shutter half pressed.

I don't want to get into an argument about the meaning of the manual in this thread; I just want to sort out whether AFc not working is a general problem or just with my camera.

Thanks for that. First of all, I am not arguing, I am just trying to be helpful given that I spent my time researching the exact same issue. And of course I am not going to waste my time arguing about the meaning of a badly translated manual..  :)

I am surprised that your TL2 does not focus while you are not half-pressing the shutter. Can you please do the following:

1) Set focus mode to AFc

2) Set Auto focus mode to one point 

3) without pressing at all the shutter button point your camera at a close object, wait a bit, and then point it at something that is a few meters away. You should feel the focus working and you should see the camera focusing to the close object and then the far object. If that is not the case, your camera has a problem. But, as I said do not press at all the shutter button.

FYI, I tried that with a TL2 yesterday and it behaved exactly as I describe.

All the best.

• Like 1

Hi LocalHero

AFc is working as intended. This is no tracking AF. See this post for clarification :https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/267246-how-to-achieve-afc-mode/

I unterstand that's not what you are expecting. But, for the moment, that's it.

Hi Jean-Pierre - are you using a T or a TL2?

That thread referred to the T, and I see that the T works differently from the SL: it continuously focuses when there is no half press, while the SL continuously focuses ONLY with a half press.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for that. First of all, I am not arguing, I am just trying to be helpful given that I spent my time researching the exact same issue. And of course I am not going to waste my time arguing about the meaning of a badly translated manual..  :)

I am surprised that your TL2 does not focus while you are not half-pressing the shutter. Can you please do the following:

1) Set focus mode to AFc

2) Set Auto focus mode to one point 

3) without pressing at all the shutter button point your camera at a close object, wait a bit, and then point it at something that is a few meters away. You should feel the focus working and you should see the camera focusing to the close object and then the far object. If that is not the case, your camera has a problem. But, as I said do not press at all the shutter button.

FYI, I tried that with a TL2 yesterday and it behaved exactly as I describe.

All the best.

Thanks. No, mine does not behave as you describe.

I found it interesting that when I picked up the camera yesterday, they took it out of the box and installed the new firmware. Even though I had to wait a week for the order, it seems they are still delivering stock packaged before the new firmware was issued.

I shall do what I normally do in the face of annoying machinery, do a reset and check if I can reinstall the new f/w.

If AFc does work as you describe, I shall avoid using it - it looks like a good way to run the battery down.

Hi Jean-Pierre - are you using a T or a TL2?

That thread referred to the T, and I see that the T works differently from the SL: it continuously focuses when there is no half press, while the SL continuously focuses ONLY with a half press.

I'm using a T (GAS attack contained for the moment...). But I think the manual for the TL2 describes the same behaviour.

As to whether reference to "tracking" in the text is a technical writer's miswording or something that was in the pipe and not implemented at the time of product release, the bets are still open...

Well, a factory reset with battery removal worked! I seem to have AFc working, rather sluggishly but working, as described by others, without a half press of the shutter release.

Irritating, but a relief.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Well, a factory reset with battery removal worked! I seem to have AFc working, rather sluggishly but working, as described by others, without a half press of the shutter release.

Irritating, but a relief.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Great news, when you have time let us know what you think of the image quality which is at the end of the day the most important thing.

Great news, when you have time let us know what you think of the image quality which is at the end of the day the most important thing.

Excellent so far. I need to get out and about to use the 23 properly, or wait till my grandchildren visit.

I'm still waiting for the 60mm Macro TL, but until that comes I have cobbled together the Apo-Summicron-M 75mm and an OUFRO. I've posted some results on the T image thread.

• Like 1

It's a contrast-based auto-focus system. I've never used "continuous" AF on any contrast-based camera I've owned because it's just silly. Leave the bloody thing in single, like it's really to be used. CAF isn't going to be much of a happiness.

The SL is contrast-based and does CAf fine and actually tracks quite well.