busse

HSS and TTL - SF-40 and SF-64 flash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

1. Why does TTL not work with Leica SF-40 and SF-64 flash in reverse light?
Camera: Leica M-E and Leica MD-262.
The flash fires, but gives way too little light! (Nikon and everyone else work in this situation.)
Why does Leica not do?
Leica user and Leica must know this problem!
Why does Leica not do anything about it?
2. Why does HSS not work on manual flash.
Manuel works on all other brands.
Is there anyone who has the solution to these 2 issues, I will be very happy.
Us photographer have to trust our equipment. 
Mvh Busse.

Try setting the camera to spot metering when using fill flash in this situation. BTW, if you lift the shadows a bit and pull down the highlights this shot should be fine.

In general, Leica cameras require more user input than all-singing,all-dancing DSLRs.

The center-weighted metering tends to be too responsive to a bright background or a light source in the frame.  With the SF-64 you can set the flash to Auto (auto-thyrister) mode and the flash will give proper exposure in those situations.  The SF-40 lacks that mode.

If the SF-64 is like my SF-58 (both Metz flashes) HSS is only available in TTL or Manual.  I see a several possibilities.  Learn to recognize when TTL will underexpose the shot and add flash exposure compensation to correct for it.  Use Auto and a neutral density filter to eliminate the need for HSS.  Lastly - shoot in Manual and correct flash exposure with the histogram or use a flash meter.  I do a lot of manual flash and it is not difficult to get good exposures with a bit of practice.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can only on Leica SF-64 use HSS in TTL mode!

I have a Leica M-E and Leica MD-262. 

I bought the leica MD-262 for two reasons. The way to take pictures as well as HSS.
I thought that TTL and HSS worked like my wife's Nikon D800.
I feel a bit cheated with regard to flash.
Normal when I make fashion or wedding, I use my NiceFoto N6-TTL on manual and a gray filter to get a big aperture. (2.8 - 4.0).
Currently, I use most my PhaseOne 645DF / Leaf Aptus. It can sync up to 1/1600 sec on X. Without losing power.
For my travels and private photos, I would like HSS and TTL to work as Leica says they can.
As it is now, Leica can't.
Hope Leica will in the future produce products that keep what they promise.
Sorry for this. I have photographed with Leica since 1968. I have always liked the feeling of quality, as well as the unmatched quality of the images.
Jørgen 

I share your frustration.  I've used Nikon flash for many years and it is easy to get spoiled.  Nikon uses a sophisticated metering matrix and scene recognition in both regular and flash metering and it is rare to fool it.  The M262 uses very basic metering which can easily be fooled.in both regular and flash exposure.  M240, M246, and the M10 bodies also offer an advanced metering mode that uses the sensor in live view to calculate exposure and offers a spot metering mode. In my limited use advanced metering seems a bit better but is not a total solution.

Many (including possibly Leica) seem to view the M as an available light camera and flash as an unimportant accessory.  I use flash regularly with my Ms as I much prefer the image quality I get close to base ISO and flash is needed in many situations.to shoot at those ISOs.  So manual and Auto work for me.  I still use TTL occasionally, but have gotten pretty good at limiting it to scenes where it works well.  To be fair to Leica - adding a Nikon-like flash exposure capability would require a lot of additional circuitry plus the ability to measure the camera-subject distance. That would make the digital M a very different camera.

I've been around long enough to experience the transition from film to digital.  Film TTL was a mature technology that worked very well, but was incompatible with digital. So a new approach was required.  Early Nikon bodies were very poor performers in digital TTL flash and I would regularly fall back to Auto mode.  It took several design iterations before it got to the point it is today.  Leica seems to still be in those early days.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By shoots
      SOS HELP!!!
      I dropped my Leica M4 and according to the NYC Camera Doctor repair team, the prism that creates the ghost image in the rangefinder is dislocated and needs to be replaced. They suggested that I send it directly into Leica for repairs, becuase the rangefinder is a complicated mechanism they wern't equipt to fix. They also let me know that Leica, located in New Jersey, dosen't do specific repairs and will want to do a full tune-up. Money is a concern, and I'm not prepared to pay $1000-ish if I can at all avoid it. I just want my range-finder to be functional.
      Has anyone had rangefinder work done, espeically on an M4? Would you advise having this work done by Leica or an outside repair person, such as DAG? Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      E
    • By Street
      I have been editing some images from a recent trip and discovered that my raw files seem weirdly damaged  but the Jpegs seem fine.
         I have attached screen shots of the same image files both dng and jpeg. They are  from different SD cards which haven't been formatted since i downloaded them. I also copied them straight over from a relatively new card reader and not through any software
        It has occurred on a lot of files but not all of them, or maybe its not as noticeable on some files.   The images are taken on different ISO's from 100 - 2000 and also in both low light and daylight, i haven't added the daylight examples as its not as noticeable so just adding the better examples.   I'm using photomechanic to view them and these are just a portion of the image    are these recoverable / ruined..?    does anyone know what has happened..?    

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By aliwton
      I am experiencing an unfortunate problem with my APO-Summicron 90mm. After a brief portrait session at the office, I left the lens at the camera, over a desk. I almost always use it wide open and occasionally at f/5.6, but this time I went for f/16. When I returned to put it back to the leather case I noticed that the aperture ring was totally loose. It’s now spinning 360 degrees and the aperture blades don’t move at all. I always felt that the ring was too soft for my taste. I’d prefer it to be stiffer. But I never felt that there was a problem. In fact, the lens is still in very good shape and it never gets any rough using. 

I live in Brazil and I was just planning to take it for a trip do Portugal in about 45 days. I keep my equipment under an insurance that covers for damage. But if this is something relatively easy/cheap/quick to repair, I would prefer not to call the insurance company. Did any of you guys experienced something like this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    • By tidefilm
      Hello everyone! I have aquired an M3, which so far looks allright to me, some bigger dents, shutter sounds like a charm,
      viever is bright and clear, but there is one issue that maybe you can help me.

The strange thing is about the advance lever, I recognized when using it.
      Having forgotten if I advanced it allready after taking a picture or not I advanced it and it moved but it was allready strained.
      The lever seems to not get into the fix position after straining and still moves on in a loose way.

I have a short video I just made with my phone right here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6emlz6nmzpe43j/IMG_0215.MOV?dl=0

Does anybody know where this could come from? And if this is something serious to care about? I d love to fix it but don t
      have the budget if this would be expersive. I never saw something like this on a film m.

Thanks a lot in advance, best regards Christian
    • By Keep the rubber down
      Hello to all,

I would like to request your help/advice.

I currently own and use a Nikon F3, but feel the need for something new to help with street/travel photography. After doing a fair bit of research I have come up with buying either the M5 or the M6ttl.

I can't actually go to a store and handle these cameras and I will be buying online, I am drawn to the M5 but the worry is I am buying something bigger than my F3 when I am looking for something less intimidating when on the street? however the shutter dial and viewfinder look like great additions.

With the M5 it seems the Shutter speed in the viewfinder would also be useful and perhaps better than the LED's in the M6?

Could anybody who owns an M5 post some size comparison photos to give me some idea of what it looks like next to the F3?

How Do you find the M6 TTL, LED system?

I will be predominantly using a 35mm and 50mm lens to start with.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated,

Thanks !